1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman "Who Is Wonder Woman?" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jun 7, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

20.0%
  10. 1/2

20.0%
  1. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=82286

Bi monthly? Nooooooooooooooooooo:( .

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Figures. Who's to blame though? The artist or the writer? I'm betting the writer, in this case...

I finally got around to reading Issue #2. I thought it was even better than the 1st! Heinberg's script is good, and the Dodson's art is fantastic!

One possible flaw, (and I'm not following the DC universe enough to be certain), but the flashback segment at the start of the issue: Batman appears in costume. Is this flashback set during the missing one year? I thought Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman didn't appear in costume at all during that missing one year?

And the DC universe has it's own version of Hercules?!? Since when?!?

Ah come on, I don't think it was too heavily tied down in continuity. All you need to know is that Diana killed Maxwell Lord-and I think we've all heard about that by this point. :sad:

3. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

I think this was during the beginning of the missing year. I mean, Batman was supposed to be spending time with Dick and Tim the whole time. This was likely before he went on his little Family Retreat.

He's tied to the origin of the Amazons. After the Goddesses (and Hermes) created the Amazons as a peaceful race, Ares convinced Hercules to attack them. Hercules' men kidnapped and bound the Amazons, while Hercules himself raped Hippolyta. Hercules is part of the reason why the Amazons retreated to Themyscira.

DC's Hercules is a misogynist in the worst way. He's not really a superhero in this universe, and I can imagine Diana's not pleased to see him.

4. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Hercules also fought at Dianas side under the disguise of a man named Champion a few years ago against a very powerful Doomsday clone.

5. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Usually they call him by his Greek name: Heracles. When George Perez first brought Wonder Woman back, he made sure that all the mythological characters in her mythos were in line with the Greek versions rather than the Roman ones (who later popped up anyway as duplicates of the Greek gods. Hey, they needed to explain how Captain Marvel had the speed of Mercury).

6. wonderfly

Another possibility that occured to me: This is in the relatively recent past, after Bruce came back as Batman in that James Robinson story in the Bat titles, (which I didn't read, and I guess that's why I'm unsure when this flashback is supposed to occured).

Thanks for the info, (you too Knight and AdamYJ)! Should make for a good contrast compared to the perhaps feministic depiction of the Amazonians.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

I'd correct that to make it past-tense. Heracles did quite a bit to redeem himself in one of the Perez story arcs (I think it was the 2nd or 3rd) and ultimately reconciled with Hippolyta and the Amazons. I think he was even the first man the Amazons were willing to have on the island in the aftermath.

No clue what people have done with him since then, though.

-- Ed

8. wonderfly

Another 2 months have gone by, so it must be time for a new issue!

WONDER WOMAN #3

[​IMG]

Written by: Allan Heinberg
    Art and cover by: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson

The Story: The adventures of the all-new Wonder Woman continue in Part 3 of the 5-part "Who is Wonder Woman" as three of her predecessor's most powerful enemies unite to declare war on the Amazing Amazon. But when Wonder Woman attempts to answer their challenge, she discovers a heroic figure from her past literally beating her to the punch. But who is the gods' new avatar? And where does that leave the new Wonder Woman?

Comments? What are your thoughts?

9. ManicWebb

Wonder Woman, despite being the most widely recognized female superhero ever, and being one of DC's Big 3, had a comic book that straddled the top 70 every month, right up until its cancellation at the end of Infinite Crisis. I'm sure switching it to bi-monthly, and publishing a story arc that takes place anywhere from weeks to months before JLA #1 isn't going to help sales.

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Well, the new character design...me likey :) :D ;) :p.

11. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that DC would cancel the book if they could, if not for that whole losing the rights to the character thing, since WW has never really been a big seller for them and defenantly not in the league of Batman or Supes sale wise.

12. Ed Liu

The "losing the rights thing" isn't true any more in all likelihood. The very first Comic Book Urban Legends post notes that the rights were quietly purchased a while ago, at least as far as Kurt Busiek is to understand the situation.

At some point, I'll have to get around to explaining why I thought issue #2 was just a Very Bad Comic Book, but the short version boils down to non-sequiturs in the dialog and the visual storytelling. They're the kind of mistakes that I'd be a lot more forgiving of in an amateur first effort from a small press, but when these kinds of things happen in a major hero's book from DC created by several pros, I have to wonder who's minding the store over there.

-- Ed

13. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I'm a little disappointed to hear some of y'all would actually want to see Diana's book be canned. That's really...depressing, and kinda mean, don't you think? She's a great character that folks have had trouble getting right, but that doesn't mean she's ready to be put out to pasture...

...I mean, for pity's sake, the new Supergirl book ain't so hot. When I picked it up off the newstand, I wasn't blown over.

14. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I think it depends on a lot of things. A character can be taken in many different directions by different writers. Look at the campy Batman vs. what O'Neil/Adams and Miller did.

15. ManicWebb

I don't want her book to be cancelled, but it almost seems like DC and Heinberg don't care. Wonder Woman's book is running on what I like to call "the Fantastic Glide." This means that her book, much like the Fantastic Four's, is a depressingly poor-selling title that's only staying afloat because of how recognizable the characters are.

16. wonderfly

I finally managed to find a copy of Issue #3, and I enjoyed it. Hercules was a great contradiction to Wonder Woman-they're both heroic, but Hercules has a bit too much "testosterone" to be the true servant of the Gods. Circe is revealed to be the villian behind all of this, and I hope her alterations to Wonder Woman's Rogue's gallery stick, (these are some great designs by Terry Dodson)!!! The Dodson's artwork continues to be the main reason to pick up this title, (though Heinberg writes a good story...man, I wish Young Avengers would come back).

Now...why is it taking till February for Issue #4 to come out?!!?

17. Jack Frenzy

Jack Frenzy Monkey-King-in-Training

Well, the news is out.

Part 5 of "Who is Wonder Woman?" has been put on indefinite hold to make room for Jodi Picoult's Amazons Attack-related arc.

18. wonderfly

Which means I have to rename this talkback thread when the final part of the story arc comes out, (ARGH)!

I'd almost rather DC follow Marvel's approach that they took with Civil War: Put the whole comic book on hold...it just makes more sense: Who wants to read Parts 1-4, then put the final chapter off for 5 or 6 issues, and then come back to part 5! Does this make any sense at all?!?

19. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

They've done it with Action Comics too and it's very, very annoying. I won't be picking up any of the fill-ins either. Given how they've struggled to make Wonder Woman a seller for years, it seems that they've really shot themselves in the foot here, the first time people are talking about her book in God knows how long and they delay it months on end. What a waste.

20. Ed Liu

I don't know, it seems that any discussion about the strength of the first issue (I seem to be the only person who really disliked it) was quickly lost in discussion about how late the book was. That's all anybody's ever talked about for the longest time, anyway.

-- Ed