1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman "Who Is Wonder Woman?" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jun 7, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

40.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

20.0%
  10. 1/2

20.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

One year after the execution of Maxwell Lord and the earth-shattering events of Infinite Crisis, the DCU is still struggling to come to terms with its most powerful heroine. Is she a martyr or a murderer? A politician or a super hero?

Writer Allan Heinberg (JLA, TV's The O.C. and Sex and the City) and artists Terry and Rachel Dodson (Harley Quinn) provide surprising answers, giving Wonder Woman a fresh, sexy look and a bold new direction!

WONDER WOMAN #1

[​IMG]

Written by: Allan Heinberg
    Art and cover by: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson
    Variant cover by: Adam Kubert

The series begins with the multi-part "Who Is Wonder Woman?" story arc, paying homage to the character's distinguished history while placing her firmly in the present with an all-new supporting cast, a brand-new mission, and a renewed sense of wonder. A treat for longtime fans and a perfect jumping-on point for new readers, Wonder Woman #1 features the icon you know and love as you've never seen her before!

Comments? What are your thoughts?

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, That pic is really sweet, the shine on WW gold really pops, the eagles look good, though Im not sure of their significance, and Diana looks like a total babe in that pic. Not sure what they're doing with WW or the other 2 /3 of the big 3 but this looks like its worth checking.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Preview of issue #1 at Buzzscope, although it's only 2 pages plus covers.

I can say that all the fanboys who thought it was S00P3R K3WL! that Wonder Woman was gettin' all HARDCORE and KILLIN' people and that this made her so much more interesting are going to be really, really disappointed.

-- Ed

4. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

Cool preview! It's a shame I might not be able to get the book, this week. I have to be to work as soon as the local comic shop opens (I usually don't work Wednesdays), and I'll have to go down there during my lunch hour. No doubt it'll be completely sold out by then. Best case scenario, I'll be stuck with the less-pretty varient cover.

5. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

a great first issue. the return of dennis o'neil's version of wonder woman was a surprise. i guess we can assume that diana has given up her powers after the crisis. i've dug up my 2 wonder woman issue from that time period to see what i'll be in store for. i seem to recall that o'neil's run wasn't exactly a high point in wonder woman history.

6. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

Yes! Yes! Donna Troy! Diana Prince! I was never a Wonder Woman reader, but I might just stick around for this new series.

7. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Good first issue.

I'll be interested to see where this book goes.

8. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Interesting first issue. Donna Troy as the new Wonder Woman. Cheetah and Giganta as the villains. Really nice.

9. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I pretty much got into Wonder Woman solely because of George Perez's take on the character and mythology. It was like a Wonder Woman tv show, with occassional interruptions from the silly DCU mainstream event-du-jour. Phil Jiminez brought things back to Perez territory, but now...I mean really. How can anyone get excited about a character whose history is this convoluted?

Ultimately, I predict that things will go back to Perez's way in time. I'm trying to see these previews pages...but I honestly don't care about Donna Troy.

10. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

CURSE YOU DC!!! CURSE YOU AND YOUR BRAND NEW WONDER WOMAN COMIC!!! :p

You have to understand, in the wake of Infinite Crisis, I'm doing everything in my power to avoid mainstream "present day" DC comics. I collect Jonah Hex, and Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, but one is set in the past, the other in the distant future. I see no reason to try and keep track of all of the convoluted comics arising out of DC's "One Year Later" scheme.

But that cover...I picked up a copy of Wonder Woman #1 based off of that cover alone! Terry Dodson is definently meant to draw Wonder Woman, and his redesigns for Cheetah, Giganta, and Dr. Psycho look nice. Allen Heinberg has a true love of the character, and a clear story in mind, (his work on Young Avengers was enough to sell me on the promise that Heinberg can write strong yet attractive women).

The only problem I have is that I've read that Heinberg is, (so far) only on board for 5 issues. Heinberg's not having a run on the book, he's doing a story arc!! :sad: I personally believe that if you're going to come on board a book, you need to be on it long enough to make your own unique stamp on the character, (at LEAST 12 issues). So here's to hoping that Heinberg and Dodson can stay on the title for some time to come...though I hope this doesn't get bogged down like Young Avengers has. But oh well, I'm pleased with the start of this comic book for now...

11. Sirkenz17

Sirkenz17 where'd my avatar go?

So...what do they look like now?

12. wonderfly

Mind you, I'm no expert on the Wonder Woman corner of the DC universe, but anyway:

Cheetah is human looking again, (instead of a werecat, or a woman dressed up in a cheetah suit, she's just a woman with an outfit that has a cheetah theme to it...um, yeah, hope that makes sense).

Giganta doesn't look like a muscle bound amazon warrior, (instead, she's just looks like a giant woman...huh, once again, I hope that makes sense...but I think it's much more striking than the amazon look...)...

And Dr. Psycho looks similar to how he's always looked, but thankfully, no longer quite like this:

[​IMG]

13. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Having tried my luck with various incarnations of the Wonder Woman comics over the years, I always found her more entertaining in titles other than her own, such as JLA, or when she would team up with someone like Superman, so I wasn't expeting this "re-launch" to dazzle me, and it didn't... but it was still a pretty entertaining read. So much so that I might just stick with it for a bit.

As you would expect from the Dodsons, the art was quite nice, and had surprisingly few obvious T&A poses, except the final panel, which was outright ridiculous, but apart from that brief moment of silliness, they found just the right balance throughout, and it was probably in no small way due to the new designs that I found the usually uninspiring WW rogues gallery more interesting than ever before. Giganta in particular seemed outright menacing and threatning instead of just... big.

Being a first issue of a relaunch, the plot was mostly set-up for what's to come, but that doesn't mean it was bad. The characters felt like characters, and not just 2D drawings spewing out silly comic book dialog, and they managed to squeeze in just enough exposition to fill in new readers, while still leaving enough unanswered questions to keep us wondering.

There was a certain freshness to this comic, which I guess is a good sign for a supposed re-launch, and in some ways it reminded me off Batman "Hush". A little superficial, but easy on the eyes, and very accessible.

14. wonderfly

The Saga Continues!

WONDER WOMAN #2

[​IMG]

Written by: Allan Heinberg
    Art and Cover by: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson

Synopsis: The shocks continue as Wonder Girl confronts the all-new Wonder Woman, challenging the position she's assumed in the DCU. But their battle of wills is cut short when the titanic Giganta arrives on the scene, taking New York City hostage and forcing Wonder Woman to make a decision that could end her new career before it's even begun.

Comments?

15. spidl

spidl Active Member

Great second issue. I am not a DC fan so I have never picked up Wonder Woman before. It was a nice dip into her past without loosing the casual fan. The art was great.

16. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I picked up the first two issues this week. If it hadn't relaunched I wouldn't have bothered, but I have so few books I'm reading I decided to give it a chance. I was glad to see it had so much action right from the start. Everytime I'd seen an issue of WONDER WOMAN in the past it was just two women in an apartment talking for 22 pages.

I don't know much of the Wonder Woman mythos, but I think this issue did a good job of giving some background, unlike the muddled mess we were given in the first issue of THE FLASH relaunch.

I'm glad I gave this series a chance, becasue if it continues on this path I could see it becoming my favorite of the post-IC titles.

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Looks like I never put up the post I meant to on the new WW #1.

Man, I hated that. For those who haven't read it yet, I'll give the brief, smart-aleck summary:

"I am Donna Troy. I am the New Wonder Woman."
    "But you're not the REAL Wonder Woman."
    "Too bad, I'm the New Wonder Woman."
    "They want the REAL Wonder Woman."
    "Hah! I am the New Wonder Woman! FEAR ME!! (<EMO>But being Wonder Woman is SO HARD.</EMO>)"
    "You're not the REAL Wonder Woman. Where is the REAL Wonder Woman?"
    "I am the NEW Wonder Woman. I don't know where the REAL Wonder Woman is. Here, take my magic lasso and use it against me, Ms. Bad Guy, to prove it."
    "Where is the REAL Wonder Woman? We want the REAL Wonder Woman."
    "I am the New Wonder Woman. (<EMO>But I don't know what I'm DOING!</EMO>)"
    "No, you're not the REAL Wonder Woman. Take us to the REAL Wonder Woman."
    (punch-punch-punch)
    "Gee, guy-who-isn't-Steve-Trevor, that didn't work. Here, meet your new partner, the REAL Wonder Woman."

Ack.

Nice artwork, though, but once you get past the terrific 3 preview pages, I wanted to fling the comic across the room repeatedly, especially the bit where Donna hands the magic lasso to the Cheetah. I mean, there are dumb things to do and Dumb Things to Do, but handing over your only offensive weapon to the bad guy who has already expressed a desire to kill you? Stupendously Dumb Thing to Do.

Infinite Crisis gave DC the opportunity to start over and bring new people into the fold, but this issue tried to do this by loading down the whole thing with stuff that is heavily dependent on the old comics. To a degree, it's the same problem I had with the new Aquaman. Judging by some of the comments here, I suppose it worked for some people. Just not for me.

I may shelf-read #2 to decide whether I want to keep going, but the first issue was a massive let-down for me.

-- Ed

18. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

This may be where my lack of continuity knowledge is a good thing (in that I miss things that ruin stories for others), but does Diana not have faith in Donna and Cassie? I took that sequence to be an explanation for why Diana hadn't told them where she was. She felt they were still unproven, and her worries were proven to be with merit. If she had told them, then Cheeta would've found her right then.

19. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Ace, gotta say, I liked your scathing review of the first issue. It really isn't much of a beginning. The storyline reeks of tying up loose ends and trying to be "new" with the look of the book, but not the content.

20. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

The Wonder Woman comic hasnt been this interesting in years. As someone who is a WW fan but never really liked her solo series (I prefered her JLA adventures) Im loving the change. The art is some of the best Ive seen and fits perfectly and Im liking Dianas characterization. I also like WW rouges as they have been depicted so far with Cheetha , Giganta and Dr. Psycho who all look great. I also like the fact that things arent as focused on the gods and the other amazons like they have been in the past. This book will probably have me for awhile.