1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman "The Hiketeia" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jun 19, 2002.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Greg Rucka presents this stirring tale starring Wonder Woman and featuring Batman!

WONDER WOMAN: THE HIKETEIA

[​IMG]

Written by: Greg Rucka
    Art by: J.G. Jones

When Wonder Woman partakes in an ancient ritual called the Hiketeia, she is honor bound to eternally protect and care for a young girl named Danielle Wellys. But when the Amazon Princess learns that Danielle has killed the drug dealers who murdered her sister, she suddenly finds herself in battle with Batman, who is searching for the female fugitive. Caught in a no-win situation, Wonder Woman must choose between breaking a sacred oath and turning her back on justice.

Comments?

2. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

Hopefully I will get around to this tomorrow! Batman and Wonder Woman! Awesome!!

3. Gotham Knights '68

Gotham Knights '68 Gotham's Finest

Regret not getting WW "The Hiketia" but I didn't want to spent the $25 - but after some consideration I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get it next week - the art looks incredible and I'm sure its a great story with Rucka at the helm! Besides it does involve Batman :D

4. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia is the hardcover of the year! Shame on you all for not buying it! Its great, IMO. Rucka writes another facinating character-driven story, and the art is just gorgeous. Put this team on a regular Wonder Woman title, and they've got my money every month!

5. kid_flash

kid_flash Speedy Teen

I have to agree. It's one of the coolest comics on the market.

6. Binker

Binker Member

Major bump!

I would like to know the story,

Why is it the great, well greatest in some reviews, book on the amazon warrior,

Scans,

And is it part of the continuty?

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

The summary of the book, lifted from the DC Comics website:

I thought it was a very good GN. I believe this and JLA: A League of One were experiments with original graphic novels, since they're both longer-form stories that were not serialized in single issues first. Unfortunately, I don't think either sold terribly well, and DC isn't doing too many OGNs any more.

Personally, I think The Hiketeia is one of the best Wonder Woman stories in recent memory only because a lot of other recent stuff has not been very good. It's not that it's a BAD book, but that it looks better than it would otherwise because nearly everything around it is even more disappointing. I thought A League of One was a better OGN that focused on WW.

Apparently, there used to be a sneak peek on the DC Comics website, along with some info on where the cover came from, but it seems to have vanished. At this point, I think you're better off seeking it out in a comic book shop or a bookstore to browse it.

As it stands, the book is in continuity, since there's nothing in it that directly contradicts anything else. Nobody else has attempted the Hiketeia ritual since then, and nobody's referred to the events here, although I admit I haven't exactly been keeping track.

-- Ed/Ace

8. Binker

Binker Member

Ok, thanks.

Also, does this book also go on the themes of Wonder Woman? Like her peace ideals, her heritage, her symbol for women.

Any of those in the book in any way?

9. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

In that usual "I'm for peace which is why I have to bust your head now" kind of way, definitely, and sort of I suppose, respectively. I'm not really sure what you mean by the last question, though. I'm sure that Danielle probably asks for Hiketeia from Wonder Woman because they're both women, but I'd think that WW being the only character in the DCU knowing about and honoring a pact of Hiketeia would be more important. And, like I said, nobody has mentioned or invoked Hiketeia before or since, so there's no real way to be sure.

-- Ed/Ace

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the release of the direct-to-video Wonder Woman animated feature (Feature Talkback, DVD/Blu-ray Talkback), there's no better time than now to look back this acclaimed story!

WONDER WOMAN: THE HIKETEIA

[​IMG]

Written by: Greg Rucka
    Art by: J.G. Jones

When Wonder Woman partakes in an ancient ritual called the Hiketeia, she is honor bound to eternally protect and care for a young girl named Danielle Wellys. But when the Amazon Princess learns that Danielle has killed the drug dealers who murdered her sister, she suddenly finds herself in battle with Batman, who is searching for the female fugitive. Caught in a no-win situation, Wonder Woman must choose between breaking a sacred oath and turning her back on justice.

Comments?

11. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I see this book is always cited as one of those Wonder Woman stories that comic enthusiasts must read. Is it really that good?