1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman "Gods and Mortals" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Nov 22, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss the Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals graphic novel, which collects Wonder Woman #1-7, featuring the young Amazon's origin and her introduction to "Man's World."

WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS

[​IMG]

Written by: George Pérez, Greg Potter and Len Wein
    Art by: George Pérez and Bruce Patterson

Before she has a chance to fully assimilate into her new home, Wonder Woman must battle the chaos of the Greek god Ares, as he plans to bring upon World War III!

Comments?

2. Binker

Binker Member

It's funny you put this thread up! I just saw this book! Today I was at Borders and after getting three books, and checked around and saw Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals. Now I had this time pressure on me to get home so I had to check it out quickly. Read some here, flipped some there. Then for some reason, it did not turn out the way I thought it would.

The pictures looked cropped, its thrown around (from how I saw it), and it just doesn't look like the book I was expecting to get. So I didn't get it. On my list now, that book is no longer there.

Now, upon thinking, could someone, from my request, give me scans of at least the first issue of WW from that book? Or maybe something from it that lasts at least 7-8 pages? So I can read it with no pressure at my skin like last time and get the idea of the writing and art?

BTW, for anyone who doesn't want to give me scans, could someone tell me if Wonder Woman's origin (From "Gods and Mortals" or not) was retold or not in standard issue or something? TRINITY for example.

3. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I don't have that trade paperback, but if it collects the first few issues of George Perez's run on the title in the 80s, then I have those issues seperately and know them (dare I say it) pretty much by heart. Up ahead...SPOILERS!!

Diana's origin, as painstakingly re-envisionned in the first issue, begins in a cave where a prehistoric male strikes out angrily at his pregnant female mate, killing her and their child. Then we journey to the Halls of Olympus, where we are introduced to the Greek Gods. Among them, Ares the God of War counters the female Godesses argument that a race of woman created to maintain peace and serve the Gods would prove futile, as he is the master of all anger and destruction. Regardless of the debate, the Goddesses along with Hermes, the Messenger, enter a realm which is occupied by the spirits of women who died at the hands of male agression. They bring those souls to life anew as the Amazons, who take up their society in Ancient Greece, lead by sisters Hippolyta and Antiope.

Enraged by Ares, the legendary Heracles confronts Hippolyta to prove his mettle, and upon seeing that she is every bit his equal in battle, opts instead to seduce and poison her. After seeing her race imprisionned and raped at the hands of Heracles and his men, Hippolyta sadly calls out to her creators for aid, which they provide by reminding her of her sacred duties. Hippolyta and her sisters angrily strike back and free themselves, but when she realizes her sister Antiope is consumed with hatred and will not follow the will of the gods, the two part, with Hippolyta's group being shown to the Isle of Themyscira, hidden from man's world and beyond the reach of it's evils.

There, as Queen, the Themyscirian Amazons erect a city and worship the gods, while Hippolyta seeks answers as to why she feels incomplete. The Goddesses reveal that she was with child when murdered in her past life, and direct her to form an infant out of the clay on the beaches of the island. The Goddesses and Hermes bless that child with gifts beyond those of the other Amazons, and the infant comes to life.

That infant is, of course, Diana. Growing up among her sisters and under her mother's protectful eyes, the Princess finds herself wanting to compete for the honor of travelling to Man's World to undo Ares' treachery. When her mother forbids it, she is contacted by the Godesses, who implore her to trust her instincts. She participates in a series of trials while disguised, and wins, much to her mother's shock. Helpless to disagree with her creators, Hippolyta bids Diana a fond farewell once she dons the armor crafted in the image of a hero to the Amazons, and sees her off on her journey...to become Wonder Woman.

That's pretty much the entire first issue right there :p But trust me, Perez's art is something to marvel at, and the stories included in that first volume are quite satisfying. I would also recommend the subsequent Trade Paperbacks, which continue reprinting the stories Perez scripted and drew in the first two years of the title's relaunch. You won't regret it.

4. Binker

Binker Member

Yeah, about that. I decided not to get it and instead get the Paradise Lost/Found stories then go from there.

If you still say I should get it still, I need scans to show me that.

5. DisneyBoy

:shrug: Okay, but I don't have a scanner. Paradise Lost/Paradise Found are both good trade paperbacks, but Phil Jiminez's stories all spring from what George Perez first established. Why you'd want to start in the middle of the story rather than at the beginning is beyond me.

And don't tell me you "need scans to show you that". It just sounds rude, especially after I went through the trouble of detailing the first issue for you. If you want to see the inside of a comic book, go flip through it for yourself.

6. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

The second part of Scott Tipton's Comics 101 column on WW has a good summary of Perez's Wonder Woman reboot. It covers not only the comic itself, and why it was such a good read, but provides context about where the reboot fits into post-Crisis continuity. There's also a few scanned pages included with the article which you can check out, although if you're looking for 7 or 8 pages from the TPB itself you're going to be out of luck.

That said, if you want to check out the TPB without having to worry about being in a hurry, why not just go back to the Borders and give yourself some time? Buy a caffeinated beverage of your choice, sit down with the book and read one or two issues. That should give you a good enough idea of the quality to make an informed decision.

DisneyBoy is right about Gods and Mortals being the proper place to start if you want to start at the beginning, though. You'll definitely be able to appreciate what Jiminez did better if you've read the original Perez stories.

Personally, I think the book's well worth your time. Perez is a damn fine artist, and those early issues of Wonder Woman are very well-plotted, with a great mixture of superhero stuff, social commentary, and Greek mythology. In fact, of all the post-Crisis reboots out there, I think Wonder Woman's is the best. Perez is one of the very few people who's managed to make me interested in Wonder Woman (who holds little inherent appeal for me), and his work remains my favorite stuff ever done with the character.

The CBC's own Ace the Bathound also wrote a great review of Gods and Mortals, which should give you a good idea of what to expect.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

For what it's worth, the review also links to a few scans from the first TPB. There's only one or two full-page scans, with the rest being mostly single panels or chunks of a page, but if you just want to see the artwork, it's there.

Otherwise, I think flipping through the TPB in either your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Shop or your local book megastore will be a better use of everybody's time rather than scanning in pages of a comic book, in addition to being on far sturdier legal ground.

-- Ed/Ace

8. Binker

Binker Member

Yeah. Its the art that drives me away. Was the origin ever retold in a secre files issue or that YEAR ONE issue she had?

9. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With the release of the direct-to-video Wonder Woman animated feature (Feature Talkback, DVD/Blu-ray Talkback), there's no better time than now to look back this acclaimed story!

WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS

[​IMG]

Written by: George Pérez, Greg Potter and Len Wein
    Art by: George Pérez and Bruce Patterson

Before she has a chance to fully assimilate into her new home, Wonder Woman must battle the chaos of the Greek god Ares, as he plans to bring upon World War III! This collection, the first in a 4-volume series reprinting the first two years of George Pérez's run on WONDER WOMAN, also features an introduction, rare art, and a new cover by Pérez. Collecting WONDER WOMAN #1-7, featuring the young Amazon's origin and her introduction to "Man's World."

Comments?

10. DisneyBoy

Basically, the above issue was the one that really got me hooked on the Adventures of the Amazing Amazon. Perez just knocked it out of the park. I spent nearly 20 detail-packed pages reading all about a bunch of women and Gods...and loving it! Diana doesn't really partake in much of the first issue, but I don't think anyone who reads it will be missing her. A fantastic first issue, flat-out.