1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Woman" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 3, 2009.

?

Rate and Comment On This Animated Feature

1. *****

36.8%
  2. ****1/2

29.5%
  3. ****

22.1%
  4. ***1/2

5.3%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1.1%
  1. Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel "She's...Brazilian."

I finally just watched this today. I think it would be a great back-door pilot for a series.

2. klammed

klammed the fool.

"The acclaimed 2009 DC Universe Animated Original Movie direct-to-video Wonder Woman feature" - World's Finest

All I can say is, if it's so acclaimed, how come we aren't getting more Wonder Woman DtVs? Or is this an unfair judgement considering she has appeared + is appearing in previous and future DtVs...

Just my knee-jerk reaction.

3. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

The same reason there can be acclaimed comic books (and writers/artists of said comics) that were cancelled, because the reason they were cancelled had nothing to do with the content and everything to do with the sales. Wonder Woman simply didn't sell as high as WB liked so they decided no to do any more of them.

I don't like it, I don't even agree with their reasoning, but that's the long and short of it.

4. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Had some mixed feelings towards this one. Beautiful animation, Themyscira looked great, good pacing & execution of the action scenes, it was nice to see the contest - which the DCAU Justice League skipped - and well cast for the most part with Alfred Molina being the stand out as Ares, but I wasn't really feeling Keri Russell as Wonder Woman, and while I wouldn't call her design terrible, her nose looked a little... off. And... I don't know, it's been a while since I watched it.

5. quigonkenny

quigonkenny Active Member

Meh... Everything is "acclaimed", nowadays. It just means someone reviewed it well, and any studio worth its salt has at least one reviewer surreptitiously on its payroll.

That said, I dug it. Wasn't the most memorable hour and some odd of my life, but Ares was fun, and anything with Nathan Fillion can't be all bad.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

I finally watched this and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I have always had almost zero interest in Wonder Woman but I loved this. I have to say if they make a live-action film they should really take a look at this first.

Only complaint I have really is whilst I liked Keri Russell she didn't seem to really potray anger well in her voice. Other than that gripe all the voice acting was superb and Nathan Fillion stole the show.

All in all a very very good film 4/5

7. quigonkenny

And in related news, water is wet, fire is hot, and politicians lie... ^_^

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I said this movie was the best of the DTVs to date when it premiered, and since then, I think the only other DTV that rivals it is All-Star Superman. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths comes really close, but I feel like it works more as an extension of JL/JLU than it does as a standalone film.

9. Zentron

Zentron Member

Over the years, I have said that this is one of the worst DC animated DTV movies I have ever seen (after JL:NF), however, after recently re-watching the movie, I do believe that I have been absolutely correct! The only redeeming feature that I have seen going for it, is that is stars Wonder Woman, but what an un-impressive feature to be the first... limited drama, zero decent battle sequences, annoying comedy (2 minoly funny moments/lines), flat artwork, no gore, almost no blood, generally depressing overall!

My rating, 1/2 star... and I'm feeling generous!

DVD now sold!

10. Time Wizard

Time Wizard It All Ends Here

Personally, this is one of my favorite DCU films so far (my most favorite being Superman/Batman: Apocalypse) but keep in mind I have yet to watch the Green Lanterns, Public Enemies, Gotham Knight, and Year One. Of all the films it definitely is my most rewatched. I only wish we have gotten another WW film by now. Or a animated series.

11. Zentron

Zentron Member

I don't think there would be chance of a WW series, but another movie wud be nice, as long as they get a good writer and a decent budget to produce it, so there's none of the skimping like they did on this one!

B:GK, the animation is top quality, but most of the stories suck, GL:FL, the story is good..ish, but the movie feels rushed, GL:EK, good animation, but really bad movie overall, unless you just watch the stories individually as individual stories, BS:pE, is basically a superhero vs supervillain fist fight from beginning to end, oh, beware of Power Girls eyes, they may terrify you!

PS, have you ever seen, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie?

12. quigonkenny

...And right there is where you lose all credibility with me. Gotta have at least some appreciation for the Golden Age...

This is the best WW-centric project ever made, and this is coming from someone whose formative introduction to the feminine ideal was probably Lynda Carter (she's still hot, btw). Granted, it doesn't have a whole lot of competition in the realm of "Wonder Woman adaptations", but it managed to pull off "Felicity" as Wonder Woman, and that's no mean feat. Also, Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor owned all. The villain was a bit one-dimensional, but mythical adaptations usually are, and he was well-voiced. Speaking of the voice acting, David McCallum and Rosario Dawson? Nice... Did I mention Nathan Fillion?

13. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

The thing I've noticed with all these DTV talkbacks is that everyone has a different opinion on what movie is good/bad, especially when talking about multiple DTVs. I have no idea why that is or what it is about these that spark such a divergence of opinion. Though that might be down to me liking all of them and not hating any.

14. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Which makes this forum oh so much fun!

15. Zentron

Zentron Member

I don't have a problem with the golden age, I just didn't like either movies.. NF the worse, WW second (GL:EK third). I didn't feel any soul in the movie, the lack of budget was just sooo apparent, and the not wanting to give the animation studio too much to do, didn't help either :crying:

Anyway, I have some paint on the wall I need to watch dry... far more entertaining!

1/2 star!

16. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

It's not just this forum. I've seen it in a lot of places where the DTVs are talked about.

17. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Just rewatched this, and man were the fight scenes awesome, real shame we lost Lauren Montgomery to Legend of Korra (not to much of a shame since I love that show). Also forgot how creepy and perverse Hades was. Plus the voice actors for him and Ares were awesome in their respective roles.

18. Gravitea

Gravitea Member

A wonderful Wonder Woman movie. Steve Rogers and Diana were both good foils for one another; which helped them to grow as characters. While violent, it didn't feel as if it was senseless violence. Especially the beginning; it gave the sense on how awful the war was for the Amazons and why they're so concerned about any man being on Paradise Island.

19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Steve Trevor :) . Now I can't help thinking about what Rogers and Diana would be like though.

20. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

More thread transferring here...

You know, I really want to see this. I watched the SFII anime movie about 10 times in 1995, so I know the scene really well. Never did it cross my mind when I watched WW that it resembled the SFII fight. As such, I'm kind of skeptical right now. Maybe there are some overlapping moves here and there? I will check this out tonight or tomorrow.