1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Woman" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    WONDER WOMAN
    Release: June 2, 2017

Release: June 23, 2017

Gangster Squad's Will Beall will write Justice League, while Green Lantern's Michael Goldenberg will write Wonder Woman.

Mod Note: Please discuss the Justice League news in this thread.

2. tazmaniak

tazmaniak Member

3. GatorMan92

GatorMan92 Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .

This definitely smells like, "Wow, Marvel Films is kicking our asses. We should do something to get our names out there again."

4. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Which is a good thing.

5. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

"From the writer of Green Lantern." What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering Green Lantern was a perfectly fine movie, apparently nothing.

7. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

It's fine that you like it, but it was a critical and box office failure, so I think Reaf is in the right for questioning WB's decision to give the writer more work.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

They coulda had Joss. I mean, just saying. Billion-dollar movie for their competitors and all.

9. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if somewhere deep inside he kind of wanted to stick it to WB for them not giving him the go ahead with Wonder Woman those years ago. Although he did say he had problems trying to crack the nut that is WW. And yea getting the writer for Green Lantern seems like a really bad first step already. That movie kinda reeked.

10. spartanx54

spartanx54 Active Member

Too bad he's over at Marvel now. Another lost opportunity Warner Bros. Joss Whedon would be the perfect director for Wonder Woman.

Seriously IMO DC has been disappointing me when it comes to movies (except Nolan's Batman of course) Hopefully the Man of Steel will be a hit, because Warner's cashcow, the Nolan Batman Franchise will already be done come 2013. Man of Steel will make or break DC when it comes to movies.

11. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

I can tell someone never read the script he wrote which was hardly amazing. Besides, making movies for Marvel vs making movies for DC is like night and day.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Yeah, if you're writing for DC you gotta remember to alienate as much of your audience as possible so they don't want to see your product! :sweat:

13. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Oh come on Matt that's a bit harsh don't you think? Shouldn't it be "You Gotta Alienate as much of your audience as possible so they don't want to see your product... unless you're Batman in which case make a more dark and realistic take on the cape crusader that everyone will want to see and actually love.":D

The problem with trying to rush out a Justice League movie is that not only does it seem like DC is trying to copy Marvel's formula, but they're not even doing it right. I mean The Avengers was made AFTER getting movies for all the prinicpal Avenger Stars and at least showing glimpses of the other leads in those movies so by the time you had the team up movie, you already knew the team. Seems like they're trying to get a JL movie going the same time as some of the other franchises, which means they could be introducing far too many heroes in the first JL movie and that will just confuse more viewers rather then entertain them. Plus also a JL movie would have to include Batman but it wouldn't be the Nolan/Bale Batman as The Dark Knight Rises is the last time Christan Bale said he's playing Bruce Wayne. So even if you had Henry Cavill in a JL movie, there would still be a pretty big disconnect. I mean even if you didn't like Mark Ruffalo in the Avengers and prefered Edward Norton, there wasn't anything Norton did that defined himself as the only one who could play Bruce Banner. Not true for Bale's Bruce Wayne and really, trying to reboot Batman for a JL movie so quickly after Dark Knight Rises comes off as desperate and wouldn't really interest people too much in seeing the movie and...

Oh wait this was suppose to be about Wonder Woman isn't it? Well in truth I didn't think Green Lantern was all that bad and would hope that they would just learn from their mistakes with GL if they actually did write a WW movie. I mean at the very least stuff like the success of the Hunger Games and a lot of the priase Scarlett got for Black Widow in Avengers shows that people are interested in a female action hero and Wonder Woman is more well known to the average person then Green Lantern. Even if people just equate to the old 70's show but hey that could be a stigma a good live action movie could erase so I would hope for the best for Diana's live action debut and hope it comes out sooner then later. Actually I hope this isn't a case of "we got a team together to do this- oh wait before we even really started on pre-production it was cancelled" like a lot of the false starts we've had over the years for this movie.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

If a Wonder Woman film is done right, it could be awesome.

If done wrong....well, the recently canned TV series coes to mind.

15. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Whedon's take on Wonder Woman was reportedly going to mess with her origins and continuity quite a bit. As someone who isn't reading the current book because the changes contradict so much of the character, I'm kinda glad the Whedon version didn't get made.

That said, this doesn't sound good. I really hope it dies here and now rather than go through endless rewrites at the hands of various scribes trying desperately to make it into something cohesive and entertaining.

16. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe I'm criminally in-saying, but I would like Amy Peohler to play Etta Candy and have Tina Fey write her part at least.

17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see Joss make this movie, but there are other good directors out there. Wonder Woman is a tough nut to crack, with that pilot telling us as much. But if the screenwriter of Green Lantern is part of this, that itself is enough to make me consider giving this movie a pass. Green Lantern wasted my time and money like few movies I've seen in years.

18. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I hope no one minds me bumping up this old thread. Since we know this movie is coming I thought the discussion from the general DC movie thread could come here especially with the rumor of what the Wonder Woman movies may be. WB is apparently planning them as a trilogy that will start at WWI:

The First Wonder Woman Movie To Be Set In The 1920s, And Its Sequel During World War II - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

I'm still not sold on the actress playing Diana but I love the idea behind this!

19. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

20. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, hate to say I told you so, but I think doing Wonder Woman in the style of Captain America just had to happen. You don't want to have an updated version off the bat in live action film like JL/JLU did.

I can't wait for this now. I think our actress is definitely going to be tested on her acting though. She might take the strong silent type approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.