1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Woman" Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 3, 2009.

?

Rate and Comment On This Animated Feature

1. *****

37.5%
  2. ****1/2

29.2%
  3. ****

21.9%
  4. ***1/2

5.2%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1.0%
  1. ganon51

ganon51 Member

I re-watched the two fights again. Only real similarity is when they kick their enemies through the wall into the street:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zentron

Zentron Member

That's just one example, go back and watch them both again! (still searching for where I put my DVD of the film so I can get some grabs... several thousand to look through)

Can't find my WW DVD, so a couple of screen grabs from the Street Fighter II CLvsV fight scene:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is just one example that doesn't need a WW screen cap to show comparison! I'll show the full extent when I find that darned DVD!

#202 Zentron, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  3. ganon51

ganon51 Member

Okay only this other scene:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's it

4. Zentron

Zentron Member

Ah no, sorry, there's still some more! Watch again... carefully! (here's a few hints, kicks, spinning kicks and sticks)

Also, is it me, or is that the emptiest shoe shop in the world?

#204 Zentron, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  5. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

That fight comparison ended being less controversial than I expected.
    Those screen captures are essentially what tied the two together.
    I tried looking for any other moves/scenes that remotely hinted "blatant rip-off", but the choreography between the two are reasonably distinct.
    Other than those genuine suits for copyright the following occur in concept only:
    -Chun Li's and Wonder Woman's clothes were being torn off (Diana took hers off & Li was left in tattered clothes bleeding),
    -They threw obscenely heavy objects (trash container v. a bed) at their opponents
    -They utilized a blunt weapon (an actual stick v. lamp post)

6. Zentron

Zentron Member

You have to look at the scenes a bit differently, as it is not an exact copy of the fight, like they did in the Red Hawk movie, in this, WW kicks Deimos through the wall halfway through the fight, where as the CLvsV, Chun-Li kicks him through the wall last, it's just been shifted around a bit and things not done or altered, plus the WWvsD fight is much shorter and not as cool as the CLvsV fight, but it's all very noticeable, plus as said, not just by me!

7. Mostezli

Chalk up that wall busting as "concept only" because Deimos goes through a few more walls before he finally gets pinned.
    Vega goes through a door in the beginning.

I anticipated shifted scenes: add to the wall busting, WW throws the trash container before using the stick, and
    CL & WW stomp on V & D's face, respectively, at different points of the fight.

The difference is in the distinguishable fight choreography (including execution of vaguely similar moments),
    fight styles (Deimos =/= Vega, WW =/= CL), the tone of the fight,
    the change in scenery (if any), the level & kind of violence/damage dealt, the strategy change, the outcome, "things not done or altered"...

So, my verdict remains the same.

8. ganon51

ganon51 Member

Exactly my point.

9. Zentron

Zentron Member

It was rather obvious that WW would not get as badly injured as CL, the movie is just PG-13 afterall, very little blood or violence allowed and she's the star of the movie, but just because the fight is set up differently here, is not a point in itself, it had to be changed, otherwise it would have been a complete rip-off of the CLvsV fight sequence. It's kinda like someone taking one of Picasso's abstract paintings, moving the shapes about a bit, stretching them, giving them a different colour and then presenting it as their own work, sure the result isn't exactly the same, but it's still just a copy!

#209 Zentron, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  10. Mostezli

Thanks for justifying the difference. I don't agree with it entirely
    (PG-13 point sucks, in lieu of this DTV as well others after this),
    but half of this exact quote is coherent.
    The clips X X speak for themselves. Any more copy claims? Otherwise, it seems we're done here.

11. Zentron

Zentron Member

Yes, still several needed to show the comparison, but haven't found my WW DVD so I can't show them all. (over 1500 DVD/Blu-Ra'ys on my shelves alone, then there's the 8 full crates and 4 boxes under my bed, the 4 draws in my wardrobe, the 12 storage boxes in front of my wardrobe, the massive pile in front of my TV and surrounding area, the bedside cabinet, the 2 tower containers, the 2 crates and 2 boxes outside my room on the upstairs landing, 24 boxes in the next room along with 8 storage cases, the 4 3x1.5x1.5ft crates upstairs in the attic and 14 other storage cases to search through to find it.... small task!!)

#211 Zentron, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

While no details are currently available, it looks like Wonder Woman is going to be re-released later this year. Check out the trailer below, with details to follow soon.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member

Cool. Just like Suicide Squad with Batman: Assault on Arkham. I was kind of hoping for this. It would be nice to continue seeing this and hopefully if Wonder Woman is being re-released, the new sales will give WB a better idea of people's interest in the character getting a new animated movie. In 2009, I don't think people realized how important it was to support this movie for future WW movies. Let's hope the landscape has changed by now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

A more cynical person might say that re-releasing this movie is a cheaper way to cross-promote than creating a new WW animated movie. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. James Harvey

Best Buy and Amazon now list a May 16th, 2017 release date for Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition. An official announcement is expected to be forthcoming soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. James Harvey

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has issued a press release - including a breakdown of bonus content and cover artwork - for the upcoming Wonder Woman: Commemorative Edition release. The special edition release of the 2009 animated movie will hit digital outlets on May 2nd, 2017 and Blu-ray and DVD on May 16th, 2017. Click the image below for more details.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I don't own this movie and I was wondering if I should pick this up. I saw Wonder Woman on Netflix last year and I thought it was pretty good. That being said, without the deleted scenes that were going to be added into the movie, I'm not sure I should get this since I've already seen it.

I only saw it once so it would still be relatively fresh in my mind. Since sales of this re-release might be enough incentive for WB to make a brand new Wonder Woman movie, I would definitely like to support it so maybe I will pick it up.

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This upcoming set doesn't include the bonus episodes of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited that the 2009 release had, correct?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Seems like it. But in its place a WW 75 featurette and the Batman and Harley sneak peek.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

God forbid that they made NEW animated Wonder Woman movie to tie in with the live action movie. Wait, my mistake. A new Wonder Woman animated movie wouldn't have Batman in it, and nothing to do with Batman. Of course they wouldn't make a new animated movie. Wow, what a crazy idea. A DCU animated movie without Batman and nothing to do with Batman? What was I thinking?