1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman #24 - 25 "Wonder Woman: The Movie" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 10, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on this Storyline

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

An all-new storyline begins!

WONDER WOMAN #24

[​IMG]

Written by: Gail Simone
    Art by: Bernard Chang

After Diana's high-profile showdown with the devil is broadcast worldwide, Hollywood comes calling with a surefire proposal: WONDER WOMAN: THE MOVIE! It's the summer blockbuster to end all blockbusters, but will Diana play along? And will the project get back-burnered permanently by a terrorist with a grudge against the Amazons?

Comments?

2. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Oh, that's funny. ^^

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Diana Versus Hollywood!

WONDER WOMAN #25

[​IMG]

Written by: Gail Simone
    Art by: Bernard Chang

Who wouldn't want to see their name in lights? Wonder Woman, that's who, and she's now hell bent on putting a stop to the Wonder Woman movie. At least she is until she realizes the impact she has on young women and girls, and must decide what's more important to her – her sanity or her conscience?

Plus, Wonder Womans' courtship of Nemesis takes a daring turn as the series hits issue #25!

Comments?

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

How long has Gail been on Wonder Woman now? And the synopsis for the storyline makes Diana seem like Jay and Silent Bob.

5. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Gail has been on since issue...erm 14 I think, so she's just coming to the end of her first year.

I saw previews of the first few pages of #25 online, and I was impressed. The current artist is quite good...though I still don't really love the new costume tweaks. Or the look of the villain/sorceress. Gaudy and ugly.

But at least (according to a recent Gail interview) we'll find out what happened to the Amazons and get an update/cameo on Steve Trevor.

Also, are Hippolyte/ta and Phillipus...more than friends?

These two gals have a clear love for one another in the pages of the Wonder Woman book (although not recently, since one was dead, and the other entirely absent)...but is it a romantic love?

Hippolyte/ta was once raped by Heracles, and centuries later forgave him, and even kissed him (back at the start of the Perez run), and yet Phillipus seemed to be her constant companion, protector and friend.

What do you think of this couple? Were they more than friends? Should DC allow them to be, as they have several other Amazons...or was Diana's Mom always straight?

EDIT: So as to not double-post...

I skimmed through the second half of of the two-part movie arc, and enjoyed the artwork, if not the villain. I'm still having problems with Gail's irreverent Diana narration. She's always had a different voice up until now. Maybe this type of relatable writing is what makes Gail so popular, but I'm finding it just doesn't really sound like Diana.

Although there were nice parts to the issue (excluding the villainess, who was so...Power Rangers). Diana gets to see her life's movie version play out, and it's surprisingly a lot like what the new Wonder Woman animated DTV is looking like (romance with Steve, Amazonian anger towards him). I liked the scenes at the end with Diana visiting the producer/scripter (whoever) and her kids, and thinking about children of her own...but it also felt a little tacked-on. Do we really need to see that the woman behind the movie is over-worked and bitter, and that's why she depicted Diana the way she did? I don't think most of the WW writers of the last two decades have that excuse for their treatment of the character...

#5 DisneyBoy, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008