1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Woman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Wonder Woman"

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

20.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Amazon Princess smashes into the new DC Universe!

WONDER WOMAN #1

[​IMG]

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO
    Art and cover by CLIFF CHIANG

The Gods walk among us. To them, our lives are playthings. Only one woman would dare to protect humanity from the wrath of such strange and powerful forces. But is she one of us – or one of them?

Comments?

2. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

This one was... weird. Decent, but weird. There's a son of Zeus using playgirls as a chorus, demon centaurs, Hermes first looking like Cad Bane, horse decapitation and Wonder Woman making her grand debut in the nude. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but perhaps I'll pick up #2 out of curiosity.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

My kneejerk reaction too! It's the intriguing kind of weird, though, and I'm definitely sticking around for this one. So, so, so awesome to see Cliff Chiang on a monthly.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm hearing a lot of positive things about this comic, but I can't even say how much I've hated Brian Azzarello's writing in the past. Still, I may have to give this a try just to support the one DC reboot with a female headliner that doesn't seem to have "turn character into a sex object" as a primary goal.

Plus, I suppose I can say I'm doing it more to support Cliff Chiang's sweet sweet super sweet art.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The new logo is the worst one DC has ever used for her.

6. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I came so close to pulling the trigger and giving Wonder Woman a try for the first time ever but as soon as I saw the terrble cover and the interor art I was immediately turned off by the book and decided to pass on it. I even read the first few pages while in the store and flipped to the end and read that too, but there was absolutely nothing that sold me on this book at all so I shrugged and placed it back on the shelf as I've done so many times before with Wonder Woman.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The first issue reminded me of the tone of the Wonder Woman DTV except a bit more "mature" than even that. Kinda a dark fantasy feel to it...no broader or all-age appeal to be found here when you've got a character chopping a horse's head off and a plotline regarding this random woman carrying Zeus' illegitimate kid, and an apparent villain that uses three women as oracles of sorts and then incinerates them just to be evil.

My inclination is to step back from this and see where it seems to be at & headed a handful of issues down the line. It's pretty natural to pit Wonder Woman up against the mythology she hails from, but at first glance this isn't the kind of story I'm naturally attracted to. But for those that do have that taste, I suppose you have something decent to go along with Demon Knights.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You might really like Wonder Woman: The Contest. It has art by Mike Deodato Jr. that's similar to what you like. Could be a good introduction the character for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Contest-William-Messner-Loebs/dp/1563891948

9. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

The horse decapitation was gruesomely unexpected and I was a bit lost for most of my first read through, but the moment it was revealed the mysterious protector was Hermes, my interest piqued considerably. This one definitely warrants a couple of read-throughs to appreciate what's going on, and I like the 'dark mythology' take that makes this a different read from the rest of DC's a-list hero books.

Plus, it's Cliff Chiang on art. I'd keep buying monthly for that alone.

10. Ed Liu

Finally caved in and bought issue #1 on comiXology and am not sad that I did. It's definitely not the same kind of Brian Azzarello stuff I've really hated in the past, and I love love love Cliff Chiang's artwork. I think Adam Tyner got it right when he called it the intriguing kind of weird, and I'd be lying if I didn't wonder what was coming next.

Probably can sign me up for the trade.

11. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

That isn't fair at all. Supergirl, Birds of Prey all the female co-leads in JLI and Zatanna in JLD have yet to be presented as "sex objects" the way that Catwoman and Starfire have.

Anyway, I think the first issue was pretty good. I really like the art, and I wasn't expecting the darker elements like that horse scene. And when Zola was told she's preggers with Zues' kid I had the exact same reaction she did, lol.

12. Ed Liu

I was exaggerating for comic effect, but you're right, of course. Batgirl doesn't seem to be getting that treatment in her book, and I doubt Batwoman will (is?) either. At the same time there's also that Voodoo comic about an ex-stripper which seemed to be exploiting her va-va-voom a bit more than I thought was necessary.

The funny thing about that horse scene was that I was expecting it to be Gorgons in a reversal of the whole "birth of Pegasus" thing. The fact that they turned into centaurs (and of the old-school, not-very-nice-creature variety) was a bonus. Either way, it was a nice way to add in a little mythological echo while still freshening up the element.

13. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

I haven't read Voodoo so I can't comment on that, but Batwoman does have the main character and her cousin naked in a couple panels while they change their outfits. Although they aren't posing in the way that Starfire was in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

14. Ed Liu

Yeah, there's naked and there's "hubba hubba she's NA-ked!" naked, you know? Nudity has definite sexual connotations, but if you use it right, it can be used as a visual shorthand to represent vulnerability, confidence, innocence, or a whole lot of other of things.

Martin Sheen is naked in the opening scenes of Apocalypse Now. His nudity combined with his self-destructive behavior during that scene is meant to tell you that he's extremely unstable. That guy who echoes Sheen at the beginning of Die Hard 2 is doing the same thing when he's doing naked tai-chi in his room, but you also get to see how chisled he is. The two together communicate that 1) he's a badass, 2) he doesn't have the boundaries most normal people have, and 3) he's really really dangerous. You might be turned on by that guy's physique if you swing that way as a straight woman or gay man, but even if you aren't, that nudity is communicating information to you that adds up to "that's the bad guy." In both cases, it's important that this is the first impression you get of the character.

I think a lot of those same ideas are in play with Wonder Woman in this scene. On top of that, the fact that she's willing to stand naked in front of a total stranger is a signal of her self-confidence, a symbol of her innocence and purity, and also indicating that she's a bit "off" from normal people. For that matter, Zola spends most of this issue in her pajamas as well, but there her lack of attire is a signal of her vulnerability -- she's been taken so off guard she didn't even get a chance to get dressed, and it reinforces her helplessness in the face of the events she's gotten caught up in.

I haven't seen the Batwoman panels in question, but from the description, it sounds like it's communicating the comfort levels the two characters share (yet another way to use nudity for other than "hey! naked ladies!" purposes). They pulled a similar trick in the first RoboCop movie when Murphy takes a walk through a co-ed locker room and there's clearly nothing unusual about men and women in the same room in various states of undress because they're all too busy talking shop.

All of which is a long-winded and probably unnecessary way of explaining why I'm OK with naked Wonder Woman but not bikini-clad Starfire, I guess :). Some of these ideas might be in play with Starfire as well, but the artwork is clearly meant to trigger that lizard chunk of the brain concerned with sex first and foremost. I can't say the same thing about Cliff Chiang's naked Wonder Woman.

15. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

16. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

17. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Maybe I'm just not as into Wonder Woman's history to feel the change, but I think it works. As mentioned in one of the Facebook comments below the article, a similar revelation was used during Justice League Unlimited a few years back. So it's not as earth-shattering as we might think.

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

She stole Cassie's origin.

19. Ed Liu

Theseus, Perseus, Jason, and Bellerophon got there first, though.

It's because of those links that I'm not that worked up over the "revelation." I think it ties even more strongly to her mythological origins, and it gives a sense of legacy. I'd believe people are upset about it because it's the Internet and people can get upset about anything, but ain't no great shakes from my perspective.