1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Woman 2" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Frontier, May 15, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Of course with the recent announcement that Star Wars Episode IX is coming to December 2019, it does seem pretty obvious that WB is going to move the release date for this film. And yeah Mid December previously meant Diana had to compete with Frozen 2 but at least that was a fair fight that domestic wise, Wondy had the edge on. It's kind of foolish at this point to try to go up against Star Wars, let alone one of the numbered sequels and even the best opening weekend won't mean diddly if it's legs and upper torso are cut off from the rest of it's release pattern. I don't know where it would move to but I am hoping Patty Jenkins and co find somewhere good. Also hope the sequel even if it's not set in the present actually answers more why Diana became such a secret hero after her own movie until now. Maybe JL will answer that but... I trust Jenkins more then Snyder's team at answering that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

This, Star Wars Episode IX and Frozen 2 will be a strong competition for December 2019. Speaking of which, I'd like to see Marvel release a film in December since there has never been a MCU film that came out during the Christmas season.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Jenkins reiterates America and being standalone like the first movie as well as jumping 'a little further' in time.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again I see Wonder Woman 2 moving to as not to directly compete with Star Wars IX since... no one would/should be foolish enough to try directly competing against that film. Especially not another major blockbuster movie like WW2 as no matter how good that is... unless episode 8 totally blows all the good will of SW it's still going to have a stranglehold of popularity at least until the sequel trilogy finishes up.

Probably because Disney usually has a winter film they want to push more and Disney isn't going to schedule two big premieres at the time and cannibalize one film for the sake of another.

Again I do hope there is an explanation in the sequel why Diana is more a secret hero in the present (since yeah even the Justice League trailers are trying to play up she isn't still relatively that known in the modern world) and I think Jennkins talking about this being a "stand alone film" explains why it would be another period piece: if it's in the past Jenkins can do what she want without worrying about the current DCEU continuity which is is probably a good thing for everyone involved honestly.

#46 Neo Ultra Mike, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  7. AdrenalineRush1996

I made that comment before making a comment that the film should be released a month earlier.

I've now checked that Frozen 2 will actually come out on November 2019 but I think to avoid competition, Wonder Woman 2 could come out two weeks earlier than said film, not referring to Star Wars 9.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So they are skipping Wold War II, though I guess it would make sense for Diana to get more involved in a covert war rather then something so public, lest the world know more about Wonder Woman prior to BvS...

10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

After setting the first WW movie in World War I, the '80s feel a bit too modern for me. Couldn't in be during the Cold War in the 1960s when we were engaged in Vietnam?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

In hindsight aside from a couple ideas to show off how much feminism has progressed the movie probably could have taken place during any time frame and the idea of Dianna being on the mainland for over a century is kind of a huge stretch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

And there's the other reason I didn't care for it being a period piece, way too many moments felt like they were being taken straight from Captain America, I swear to god if Steve comes back to life as some kind of Russian spy.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it's hard to gauge exactly how they'll work this, but given how popular Pine's Trevor and his relationship with Diana was in the movie I can't say I'm surprised to see them bring him back...though to not undercut his sacrifice in the last movie I could also see him being either a flashback or illusion of Steve that Diana sees :ack:.

15. AdrenalineRush1996

Ironically, the reason why the film changes the setting from World War II to World War I was to avoid it being too similar to Captain America: The First Avenger and due to the fact that World War I set films are not really common nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1