1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder Woman #18 - 19 "Spaced" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Mar 12, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

WONDER WOMAN #18

[​IMG]

Written by: Gail Simone
    Art by: Bernard Chang
    Cover by: Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson

Comics superstar Bernard Chang joins Gail Simone for a 2-part story that will take Wonder Woman to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, but not before the vicious alien race the Khund begin an assault on Earth! But before the invasion can begin, the relationship of Wonder Woman and Nemesis takes a defining turn.

Comments?

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Part 2 of the 2-part story "Expatriate!"

WONDER WOMAN #19

[​IMG]

Written by: Gail Simone
    Art and Cover by: Bernard Chang

Spirited to the Khund home world, Wonder Woman finds herself in the unpopular position of having to defend one of the greatest scourges of the galaxy from the deserved wrath of many an angry race! What could possibly convince the Amazon princess to side with the enemy? You won't believe the answer! And who is the incredibly powerful DC figure that's trying to stop her?

Comments?

3. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Read Part One today in a bookstore, and wasn't too impressed. I liked that Simone is letting Diana persue a relationship beyond mere flirting (although whether or not that turns out to be a good thing remains to be seen), but I grew tired of Diana's alternately frank and regal ways of speaking. I think mostly because the other characters were also speaking so frankly. Maybe if their lines were actually being spoken by actors it would be one thing. On the page, however, they just seemed grating, even though I understood Simone's intentions.

The interior artwork, however, was really enjoyable. I thought Diana's face looked great, if entirely different and new. The Khunds were boring and a bit of a retread of an earlier Perez story where a bunch of Greek people started worshipping Diana after she'd freed them from Circe. Clearly, with the GL involved, it'll take a different turn in Part Two.

More than anything, I found myself wishing Simone had just jumped right on in and dealt with Circe, Hippolyta, Ares or Nessie - anyone from the old cast - just so it felt like the proceedings were really important instead of just a filler story.

I missed the three-part Circle arc, though, so maybe that meets my expectations.

Anyone know how Etta ended up in space with the Khunds? That threw me for a loop, big time.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Marginally related to this arc specifically, but Gail Simone just posted a public thank you to a bunch of prior WW writers on her own forum. Apparently, she's in semi-regular contact with a lot of them about what they wanted for the character and how they felt about specific elements in their stories. As if I needed more reason to think Simone was a class act.

-- Ed