1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

With sales dropping, editorial changes reportedly coming to DC Comics - what should they do?

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by Wonder Woman, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It looks like DC's DC You semi-relaunch is not working and the latest sales numbers for DC Comics looks pretty grim:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-july-2015-life-the-universe-and-everything/

While lots of people applauded DC's attempt to diversify their comics it doesn't look like that is changing over to sales and Comics Beat says that it looks like DC Comics might be looking to undo a lot of the "Batgirl"ing for the recent comics. It would be a shame since a lot of great books have come from DC's DCYou initiative, like Cyborg and Prez, the current Superman storyline in Action Comics, Commissioner Batman and Damian's comic. DC's comics have actually been getting great reviews across the board save for a couple but it looks like their attempts to make their comics more like Image has resulted in the same level of sales. They lost $2 million in sales so far and it doesn't look good and that is where the editorial changes rumors and possible swift cancellations come from:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/industry-watch-editorial-changes-coming-to-dc/
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08...hurting-comics-sales-the-movies-and-cartoons/

What should DC Comics do to try and regain their place? I get that Marvel currently has Secret Wars and Star Wars comics which are big sellers but what could DC do. I seriously doubt undoing the New 52 would make that much of a difference but DC might have to do something soon. Sad to see a lot of legitimately great comics in danger.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

This after just 2 months? Talk about pushing the panic button. Some people have absolutely no patience.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Well, let me just get this out of the way now - The solution is easy, just put BATMAN in every issue of every title DC publishes. Problem solved.

I thumbed through all those links to try and get an understanding of what all this means, but I'm still having a hard time. Will they undo the new 52 (doubtful)? Will they change creative teams? Will all the "Batgirling" books be canceled? If all of this lack of sales/drops is a "concern", I'd say wait until 2016. I'm sure Secret Wars and Star Wars has something to do with this. Once Secret Wars concludes, Marvel will do their relaunch (or whatever it actually is), which I'm sure will push DC back as well. See where we're at in early 2016, then go from there. I think it's early at this point (at least the rest of the year) to do anything that would be considered rash or a panic move.

Hmmm. Looks like all the main new 52 titles will be reaching issue #50 early next year. Could they do some kind of shake up there to coincide with a "special 50th issue"? I don't know if this would help anything, but recently in Superman and Justice League Of America, I've felt that they have been simple "straight up" Superman and JLA stories. As I read them, I'm not thinking about it being the new 52. I'm thinking THIS is Superman or JLA. How about doing some kind of "back to basics" approach to some of the titles/characters? If they're doing that already, or recent stories that seem "straight up", it's obviously not in titles I read. I would recommend Superman or JLA in an instant to someone who is hesitant because of what they've already experienced from the new 52.

How does digital comics fit into all this? Is it possible that this is all a "cycle" and Marvel is reclaiming similar dominance they had in the early 2000s?

4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I put the blame on the current lack of brand recognition, how many people who are DC fans right now got into to comics because of some DC cartoon or because some family member or friend did?

For the first time DC has gone 2 years with no cartoons on tv not even any syndication and as good as the live action fare is it almost never attracts new readers as we've seen time and time again.

• Agree Agree x 1