1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction Winds of Fate: The X Factor (Teen Titans)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Destiny_Smasher, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Destiny_Smasher

Destiny_Smasher Epic Fail

In-thread poke?

Anyway, if you think I've been 'inhumane' to my 'readers,' then I guess I should apologize.

But it's hard to be 'guilting' people into reading this when no one is here to BE 'guilted' in the first place.

When I say stuff like "Oh...well, at least it's a response...:shrug: -_-" or "What, that's it? Um, go into detail, people! Come on!" it's because I feel robbed.

I can spend hours writing a scene, only to get some pointless replies. And yes, it is true that they at least took time to read it, and they DID at least reply. However, I don't see how else I am supposed to respond to pretty much the exact same reply over and over and over again over thy course of a year or so.

And now I actually feel even more upset because if I was, in fact, being interpreted as being a jerk, I have no recollection of anyone telling me this. I hate being stupid and no one telling me that I am--because then I just continue to be stupid. So thanks for pointing out my 'tone' concerning feedback. I have my reasons for responding in this way (which I don't do wherever I post my fiction, by the way), and after I've known some of my readers for a long time (as on other sites) I can talk like that, but they'll know I'm not trying to be mean. Since I've been posting on other sites long before this one, I probably just sort of brought that over here to people who don't know me as well.

But it's incredibly frustrating to spend 2 years writing something, and putting effort and detail into various elements that NO ONE EVER NOTICES. That's very annoying, frustrating, and otherwise disheartening. But yes, it's still not a good excuse.

So thanks for actually pointing this out to me, and I'd like to hear from the readers I did that to explain that to me to, but the truth seems to be that there simply isn't anyone reading this, which only makes it worse.

On top of that, I have you trying to debunk something you didn't even read, which was the entire reason I got angry in the first place. I don't need you to tell me how easily angered I can get over getting judged on something you haven't even read. I said so myself, that just really gets to me. So I don't think you helped me realize that, since I already KNEW that, but you did help to point out how I may have treated readers, ya know, 10 months ago, when a couple were actually reading this.

Had you found this 6 months ago, my head wouldn't have been on a platter, because my head wasn't HERE. :p 6 months ago, there was STILL no one here, and had you banned me or what-not, it probably wouldn't have mattered much, as this is the only thread I post in, and there hasn't even been activity.

Now, I DO care how I treat my readers, but one doesn't always know how their words are interpreted. If my readers react to my words by taking it with a grain of salt, I won't know I did anything wrong and will assume they understand why I said what I did. I do agree that everyone deserves to be treated with respect, of course, and despite what you said, there ARE excuses, or rather, reasons, why one would respond that way. Nevertheless, you're right, and if those comments hurt my readers, I shouldn't have said them.

Now, I might not 'favor' you dissing my choices of literary devices, but I wouldn't respond the way I did if you had actually read the story through. So if you are going to manage to read it, please do. I havew to go now.

2. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Mmhmm. A warning that isn't really a warning, more like a nudge, if you will.

In that, I believe you might be somewhat inaccurate. I'd imagine only half the people that read actually reply, so you still may have readers yet who are either too busy or too afraid to interject on our nice conversation to state something. Furthermore, you do you realize this is a low traffic forum, yes? Meaning not many people are going to be going in and out of this place on a daily basis. As such, it's not the best idea to be putting up stories here under the impression that you're going to be swamped with replies, because, well, you aren't. And, as you've already stated, most of the replies you get aren't exactly dissertations. (Then again, the kind of replies you're craving for are difficult to find anywhere, on both high and low traffic forums, so yeah.)

I can understand the feeling, all the same, it's a poor way to act out on it. You may feel robbed, but in saying things like that, you belittle the reviewer, and as a result, they may not bother responding again at all.

Way to respect your readers. A real class act. Unfortunately, "pointless replies" is the very nature of the internet; you can say what you want, when you want, without fear of retribution or complete censorship. Sounds a great deal to me like you missed the point entirely. It doesn't matter what they say, if they reply when they don't have to, you should try being courteous, at least.

Hmmm. "Thank you," could work. That's always been a fan favorite.

Again, I can understand the feeling, but coming from someone who learned the hard way, it's best not to viscerally act on that frustration, lest you wind up spouting off and end up having to pry your foot out of your mouth. ...I'm still prying out mine.

You updated all of, what, three days ago? Be patient; you never know when someone may notice this back on the front page.

I was trying to show you how angry you get over any reply that isn't a doctorial thesis. If I told I'd read the entire story, and still came to the same conclusions, I'm willing to bet you'd have the exact same response. I must not be reading it correctly, I must be judging it improperly, the character is supposed to be this, even though you wrote it like that. I'm not saying that's the case, of course, because again, I don't know for certain, but this theory was initially formulated as a result of the replies I've read though. I was merely testing it a bit to see if it were true.

Oh yes it would have. Trust me. :p

I might care to remind you again that this is a low-traffic forum. If you want fast replies, head to ff.net. There are lots of hyper-active teenyboppers there who love to reply to anything and everything they read.

And that's what I'm here for. >grin<

Yes, there are reasons, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a good, or at least completely justifiable, one. But I'm glad you agree, in any case.

And my point was that my actually reading the story through was irrelevant, because if it hadn't been my not reading the entire story, it most likely would have been my not reading it 'the right way', or letting past character biases skew how things 'should' be seen, or that I'm just friggin' stupid and couldn't get it if it jumped onto me and started clawing my face. That is what I was trying to show you, and given your general obliviousness to that, I suppose I failed in my attempt. Either way, further discussion in this would be around the board pointless on either side and should be kept to PM.

Peace.

3. Destiny_Smasher

Um...OK...Funny thing, I'm pretty sure I said a lot of what you already said...Like, I already agree with a lot of what you said in the last post...Like how I don't expect people to post here that often, etc.

So, to end that whole matter, I hereby apologize to anyone I have ever hurt in this thread and will try better not to do so any more. And if I do, slap me in the face and tell me before 17 pages have gone by--I give you permission.

And on top of that, I thank anyone who has taken time to read any of this, whether they read it all, a little bit, they're banned from these forums (poor pookey), or they're been reading all along and don't ever reply.

And thanks to Silver Knight for pointing out these things to me and drawing my attention to the matter.

However, as you said yourself, you will never know how I would react to you critiquing my story until you HAVE read it and can give me good examples of what is wrong or not as good as could be about it. :p

"Now, I might not 'favor' you dissing my choices of literary devices, but I wouldn't respond the way I did if you had actually read the story through."

I meant what I said. Sure, I'd probably defend it, but I wouldn't have been so hostile about it, is what I meant. I'm a sucker for digging myself into holes in debates, but like I said before, I'm more concerned about the process of debating and me learning something than actually proving my point. I just have to be stupid about it in order to learn something, sometimes. :sweat:

Now, then, if you do happen to take the time to read this, Silver Knight, I thank you for being so patient with both me and the time it will take to read, and I invite you to challenge me on how I write this story. You can't be mad at me for defending it, since a.) it's my work, and b.) an argument needs to be challenged in order to prove its validity, yes?

On that note, I should probably be doing homework...But I intend to write some more tonight. Jynx likes drawing unicorns, huh? :anime: So mad I missed that episode...>_<

4. Destiny_Smasher

Um...I thought the last post had been deleted...?

Oh, well. If anybody's out there, here's some more, I suppose. I thought I had posted it already. :sweat:

---

The air was fresh and cool, the spices of autumn drifting through her nostrils and tickling her soul. Oh, man, did it feel so good! After being cooped up in a dark room full of computers for so long, this was a brisk refreshment. And it was so different, going outside just…to go outside. She wasn’t out on a mission to steal anything…she wasn’t worrying about making sure things ran smoothly…She was just here to enjoy here.

The wooden bench was a bit hard against her bony body, but she was enjoying the atmosphere too much to notice.

The sky was a pale palette of bluish gray in the early afternoon, and the sun was up in the sky, not glaring down, but drearily staring. Jynx caught a glance of a flock of geese rising from a brief break at the pond in the distance. They ascended from the pool in a flurry, spraying feathers in their wake, and soon enough, they were ordered into their mighty formation.

The sound of a dog’s bark yanked her gaze from the birds to a small pug, it’s face wrinkled up in disgust…or maybe it was just wrinkled up already. Jynx couldn’t tell, and she didn’t care for dogs at all. Based on the discriminating growl and judicious glare she was receiving from the mutt, Jynx concluded that this dog didn’t care much for her, either.

A sharp whistle cut through the air, lashing around the grouchy dog’s neck like a lasso. It remained transfixed on Jynx, dead-set on ensuring that she knew how pathetic she was. With a disdained snort and a stiff growl, it trotted off, leaving puddles of pride in its footsteps.

Mere seconds after the mongrel was gone, Jynx’s attention was jerked in another direction as the cries of children chimed in her ears. They came in a group of three—none older than seven.

The first was slightly taller than the other two, with spiked maple hair and sharp, eager blue eyes. He had a defiant grin that radiated mischief. The second child was a girl, slightly shorter than the ‘leader,’ pointed pigtails of orange, and olive eyes of ferocity. Though her demeanor hid it, those eyes and her equally sneaky smile conveyed the same glow of tomfoolery as her ally. The third child looked a little younger—he had to be about five. His shy, glazed eyes observed the world around him with timid alarm; he wondered if that shaking leaf would fall on him, or if those flying birds would be a threat, or if that pug near the pond was mean. He kept a balloon at his side, squeezing its string like a lifeline and keeping it pressed to his chest, as if to make sure none would so much as tarnish its shiny, blue surface.

They were all running in single file, chasing after a soccer ball that their ‘leader’ was hording in his grubby paws.

“Cheater! Cheater!” cried the girl, sprinting after him with arms stretched out to catch the boy. Her words were playful and bubbled with giggles.

“Wait! Wait!” whimpered the frail child playing caboose, his balloon drifting behind, bobbing about haphazardly.

The frenzy was cut short as the leader tripped on his untied shoelace. He flailed like a fish out of water as he plummeted to the ground, and the girl behind him shrieked as she fell over him. Both landed flat on their faces in the grass, and the soccer ball popped out from under them. It playfully rolled its way across the grass, and lightly tapped against Jynx’s left boot. She bent over and scooped it up, and a faint memory of her childhood washed over her and left as quickly as it came.

Jynx’s insides were sloshing around inside her, rocking back and forth in an unsettling fashion. As the children scrambled to their feet and rushed her way, she almost felt like throwing up for a moment. The kids came to an abrupt stop, a few feet in front of her. A bad omen washed over her mind—she knew this feeling from somewhere.

No, not right now…Why right now?

“Um…Hi, Miss…”

The words of the feisty child leader slapped her and brought her attention back to the reality laid in front of her. Those three small children stared at her blank expression with an expectant stare for a moment of awkward silence before Jynx’s brain wandered off yet again.

They were so…cute and innocent. Playful, mischievous, and curious. And they wanted their ball back.

“Please? Miss?” The girl clasped her hands together in a coy plea.

“Oh, um…” Jynx fumbled with the ball in a clumsy manner, embarrassed by her own thoughts. Her fingers were tingling, a shiver ran down her spine, and a shock of pain went through her head as she stretched out her arm to hand it to the child—pop.

Wait…pop?

Three pairs of horrified little eyes stared at the black and white lump in her hands. The ex-soccer ball that rested between her skinny fingers had practically been shredded in half. It had started. Why did this have to happen now?

Pop!

The smallest child screamed in terror as a gunshot rang through his air when his blue balloon exploded. Afterward, his fear and grief congealed into a shrieking cry, tears gushing from his eyes. As the girl went to comfort him, the little boy frowned and marched toward Jynx in a fit. Jynx’s hands quivered uncontrollably, and the flat ball slipped from her hands to the grass below. It hit the ground at about the same time as the boy’s face did—he’d tripped on his untied shoelace.

Jynx’s mind was being pounded by throbs of pain and confusing thoughts. A frisbee flew over and whacked the girl in the back of the head. Someone talking on a cell phone walked past her back, shouting into his device due to an absence of reception.

Three children bawling before her, Jynx sprung to her feet and sprinted off, putting distance between her and the poor people her powers were bringing misfortune to. She blasted off, and soon enough, she felt her lungs would burst, but she kept going. She ran and ran, almost out of the park, when a huge, fleshy thing came out from behind a tree, blocking her way.

Something about this large, round, fleshy thing was familiar. For one thing, it smelled pretty rank, and Jynx knew that rank stench from anywhere.

She stared up in turmoil at Mammoth, who glowered down at her with a tainted grin.

“Hey,” he grunted with gruff chuckle.

“Well, well, well,” chimed the whiny voice of Jynx’s other old ‘friend’ as he came dropping from a tree branch, metal spider legs holding him in place. “Look what the cat dragged in.”

Jynx glared at them with jealous fury, hissing, “What do you want?”

“Just sayin’ ‘hi’ to an old pal,” Mammoth slyly explained, his eyes twinkling in a way that suggested otherwise.

“Bull****,” Jynx seethed, her fingers twitching with pain.

“Fine,” Gizmo huffed. “Listen, snotface, we’re only here because our crud-munchin’ Headmaster has an offer for you.”

Jynx’s heart pounded at the thought of going back home, back to the life she once had. This didn’t erase her doubt, however. There was certainly something fishy going on. How did they know she was here? All the same, they had an offer, and she figured she might as well listen to it.

“…What kind of offer?”

---

5. Rae

Rae Insert amusing comment

This scene really makes you feel sorry for Jinx, what with her powers runing amock and her not actually wanting to hurt people for once. Your portrayal of the little kids was good, they seemed cute, yet devious (aren't they all), but you still fet sorry for them when they lost their ball

Overall, a nice little scene with some good descriptions, as usual, and it should be interesting to hear what offer the Hive has for Jinx, and whether she'll take it

Rae, who is still here

6. Destiny_Smasher

Hey, Rae. :sweat: Uhh...Yea, sorry about all that stuff up above. Thanks for checking it out, glad you liked it.

I didn't really concentrate on it much, but I was trying to imply that Jynx has a soft spot for little kids.

There was also a pretty important little hint dropped in there that pertains to something key to the plot right now. Did you notice it? ;)

I was going to continue the conversation, but I decided I'd finish the conversation in a different way, stylistically.

Gah, I have SO totally been neglecting my writing lately...:sad: I don't know how much writing I'd be able to do tomorrow, as I have an exam which I seriously need to study for.

But I'm really looking forward to writing the next bits, because the Raven/Robin conflict will finally be reaching that boiling point. :zim:

Yea...so...what happened to Pookey, anyway? She was banned, or something? I'd really like to know, if anybody could tell me.
    And sorry if I've seemed like a jerk for begging for reviews, etc. what-not, but I feel insulted when people read my work and let it sit there. I don't put it here just for the sake of me writing it--I might as well just stick it in my dresser if it was just for me. And I'm glad if there are people still reading this and enjoying it, but I'm trying to become a better writer, and if no one ever tells me what they got from my writing, then there's no way of me to know if I'm writing correctly, what my flaws are, what my talents are, or how can I improve.
    Again, I'm sorry for any way I may have mistreated people, and thanks to whomever has stuck with me. But if you expect me to write this solely for myself, why are you reading it? :p

#346 Destiny_Smasher, Feb 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  7. Destiny_Smasher

Hello, yet again.
    Yes, yes, I'm a dirty bum because I don't write anymore.

I'm posting here more to see if anyone here is still interested in where this story has yet to go, as this is the only fic I am truly comittied to and want to finish at some point or another.

Oh, hey. Now we have :raven:'s. That's cool.

Anyway, I really want to get back into writing this again and finishing it, so I'm wondering if there's still anyone there who is still interested in reading it. It could help give me some motivation to continue, I guess.

8. Rae

Rae Insert amusing comment

If you write more of this story, I'll read more of it! You're a good writer, and this story shows that with its good plot and sub plots and the character interaction, descriptions and just about everything are really good. It really would be a shame to lose such a good story and a good author/writer/whatever you want to be called.

Rae

9. Destiny_Smasher

:sweat:

Oops. Another 3 months gone by, another...absolutely-no-time-spent-writing-fiction. :shrug:

Am I a writer? An author?
    I'm not so sure anymore...

I used to be...
    Back when I'd rather sit and write by myself or play video games instead of socialize and build bonds with people...

I'm not sure what I am anymore. I'm still figuring that out. But I DO want to finish this, damnit!
    If only as a tribute to my teenhood, and all the time I spend writing in high school, I want to finish this before I'm no longer a teenager...

Which means I need to regain my bearings and unrust myself, which could get really ugly.

10. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Sweet, you are alive! :p

Sorry I haven't been reading your story. Gonna catch up this week. Hope you get your bearings.

Just to let you know your one of the authors that got me into fanfic to the point I'm writing it myself. Thanks for the inspiration. You rock, Destiny Smasher.

Quick question: any relation o Legend Maker from FFN?

11. Destiny_Smasher

D3stiny_Sm4sher...

That's right, my name is still the older version, ain't it? :p
    Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your support. I've been hearing back from some of my old readers, and I guess I inspired a lot of people...
    If I did that, then at least something came from all my writing. :sweat:

Legend Maker? Fanfiction.net, is that what FFN is?
    No, I don't have any relation...at least none that I know of...?

*checks*

Nope, never heard of her.
    Looks like she has some interesting stuff, though.
    How did you connect us, anyway?

Man...now I kinda want to write some more...but if I start writing some more, I'm gonna be damn rusty...grah...:raven2:

12. TorchLighter

TorchLighter two sides, same coin

Soo, headmaster has a proposal, eh? Well, the next installment is going to be interesting. with Starfire gone, Raven searching, and Larry- sorry, Yoshi- on the scene, this counld get very ugly. Star needs to stop blaming herself for the problems caused by the moths. She should start blaming Robin, who frankly, is also a worry. Who cares wo started it? It happened, and the only person we should blame is Kitten. Why am I giving psychological help to imaginary characters?

Great read!!

13. Elder Leaf

Elder Leaf Guest

Please continue this story! Please! :sweat: I came across some of my old bookmarks recently and that's why I'm here again. But I'm not lying when I say that this is the only fan fiction that I've ever followed, at least up until a few months ago.

14. Destiny_Smasher

:robin:

I'm glad that a couple of people are still enjoying this.

I really want to finish this story, I really do!

And I will try and make time to write some of it...sometime...within the next week and a half. Try. We'll see.

Life has changed a lot since I started this story almost 4 years ago...
    As have I.

But I want to see this to its end. Hopefully it will get there sooner or later.

15. Destiny_Smasher

Get aboard the fail boat!

Can you say "fail?" :sweat:

Recently had this brough to my attention. A lot has changed and I've basically discontinued all of my fanfics officially, except this one, which I am having a hard time doing so with...I'm going to have to decide in the next couple of days whether or not I'm going to try to finish this or just give up and throw out an official leave complete with plot explanation.

You guys deserve a resolution of some kind. :raven2: