1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Warner Archive ever release DVD's of these 1990's-2000's Warner Bros. cartoons?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Mar 9, 2015.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Since Warner Archive now has put out the 1996 Road Rovers cartoon series on DVD, what are the chances Warner Archive will release on DVD these 1990's-2000's Warner Bros. produced cartoon series (all aired on the old Kids WB Saturday morning lineup on the old WB Network)
    Histeria!
    The Legend of Calamity Jane
    Detention
    Ozzy and Drix
    Static Shock
    Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island

2. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

What are the chances? Unless there's some sort of mathematical calculation to find out, no one is going to really know. ;-)
    Best thing I can say is ask Warner Home Video and see what response you get.

3. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

I wouldn't count on Coconut Fred ever seeing the light of day on DVD again. It'd be nice to see Histeria and Dentention come out on DVD at some point though.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DVD releases of Coconut Fred or Calamity Jane. The others at least seem like possibilities, albeit slim ones.

But like Narfpinky said, your best bet would be to send a friendly snail mail letter to Warner Home Video and see what sort of response you get.

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I forgot to mention for Warner Achive release Waynehead.

6. Silverstar

I wouldn't bet danger money on Waynehead getting a DVD release anytime soon either. That show wasn't popular with fans even when it was on the air.

7. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Actually, I wouldn't mind a DVD release of Static Shock. Dwayne McDuffie would be so proud.

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Waynehead's rights likely reverted back to series creator Damon Wayans, Sr., since it was based on his childhood, so it might be up to him to bring it out on DVD.

Calamity Jane was cancelled after about a month on Kids' WB!, but the series finished its run in other countries, like Canada. If enough people ask, maybe they will release it.

Coconut Fred? Fuhgeddaboutit.

9. classictoonami

static shock i want

10. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I don't think WB even owns Calamity Jane.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They don't. It was made in another country and dubbed here, I want to say it was French but I can't be sure. That's why WB yanked it off so quickly; all they paid was distribution rights, so if they didn't get their ratings after a mere two weeks, they had little to lose.

12. ToonamiCN20

ToonamiCN20 Banned

I wouldn't count on any of them getting DVD releases except Static Shock as that lasted 4 seasons.

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I forgot one other old school 2000's cartoon aired on Kids WB that could get a Warner Archive DVD release: The Zeta Project.

14. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I really hope for a Histeria! release. That show is one of a few to suffer the fate of never being re-run on another network. I'd also like to see Ozzy and Drix too, because I loved the film and my older sibling grew up watching it.

15. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

From that list I can realistically see Histeria!, Ozzy and Drix and Static Shock being eventually released. Eventually meaning not anytime soon, but maybe within a few years. One of them could come sooner, but it's hard to guess which one and when. The rest? I'd forget about those. Pretty low chance. Sorry.

Truth is, WB still yet have to release some of their own and more popular shows. The 90's Addams Family, 2 Stupid Dogs, remaining episodes of Captain Planet, Fish Police, Mask Animated Series, What A Cartoon Show... Then you've got also remaining episodes of Centurions, Galtar, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Dink... and I'm sure there are more I forgot.

So if you look at it from that perspective, you're probably going to wait a really long time.

#15 Checkerboard, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. Silverstar

In order for any show to receive a DVD release, there first has to be a substantial demand for it. No studio is going to bother putting a show on DVD if they don't think they're going to make back the money they put into it. Honestly, the likes of Fish Police, Galtar and the Golden Lance, Centurions, Yogi's Treasure Hunt and Dink, the Little Dinosaur weren't exactly super-popular even while they were running. However, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!, Loonatics Unleashed and Road Rovers have all gotten DVD releases, so anything's possible. Anyone who wants to see any of these shows come to video should let WB know that they and enough other people would be willing to buy them on DVD.

17. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I think you are forgetting this is a WB Made On Demand programme. Not normal retail. How popular a show is is pretty much irrelevant here. They're eventually going to release everything. It's just about the order which shows come first. And their order is quite random. It's not like they're expecting any huge sales. Precisely because it's MOD they can release any obscure show they want, because they will sell only the amount people will buy and don't need to worry about any leftover DVDs gathering dust in a box. OK, Fish Police is quite an obscure show. I'll give you that. But Centurions, Galtar, Dink and Yogi's Treasure Hunt? Come on. Don't act like nobody knows them. They're all quite known and popular. Sure, they're not Scooby-Doo or The Flintstones, but really... what show is? Definitely all brands on the same, if not higher, level than what OP is asking for. Just look through the WB catalogue. Loads of shows you probably wouldn't expect to get a release. Only reason it's taking so long is because WB lacks the resources. They have a new office now, but since some of the shows are also being remastered/cleaned up it takes longer than normal. The Archive department isn't that big.

18. Silverstar

No, I'm not forgetting that, but the key word there is Demand. I just don't think the demand for those particular shows you mentioned is that high compared to other titles, honestly. All of these brands are not on the same level.

The only thing I expect release-wise is that given Warner's library of movies and TV shows, there are plenty of other titles which will take precedent over some quickly gone and forgotten also-ran cartoons.

Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Popeye, Mickey Mouse and the Gang, several choices come to mind, actually. Dink, Galtar, The Mask: TAS and 2 Stupid Dogs? Not so much. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, all of these shows are not equal in terms of popularity, notoriety or fan demand.

I'm not acting like anything, even for the On Demand program, those shows are gonna be pretty low on WB's priority list, especially since WB is throwing their classic Hollywood movies into the mix. I never said that nobody knows those shows, but those titles aren't going to be at the top of a whole lot of peoples' wish lists. Let's be real here. "Quite known and popular"? That's debatable, to say the least.

Anyway, I didn't deny that there is a chance that any of those titles could show up on DVD one day, hence why I said that "anything's possible". Relax a little.

#18 Silverstar, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Yeah, I kind of doubt that. Sure, people on forums like this one remember shows like Galtar and the Golden Lance, Centurions or Dink the Little Dinosaur because we're animation geeks (and that's not an insult, btw; I'm speaking as one of the geekiest geeks around) and we like to remember everything, but ask Joe and Jane Average Citizen about Dink or Galtar and odds are that they either won't know what you're talking about or will simply remember that these shows existed, but won't be able to describe any of them in specific detail. When I went to my local Best Buy to purchase the season 1 DVD of Rocko's Modern Life, the dude who worked there literally had no idea what I was talking about! He apparently had never heard of the show. Let's not confuse the internet fan base with the public in general. We are but a small minority. Not everyone follows this stuff as closely as we do.

20. MagicMagilla

MagicMagilla New Member

I'm going to be brutally honest when I say I get the feeling some of the responses in this thread aren't keeping up with the trends.

As nobody should tell you what to like or not, but if we are talking about demand and odds, I expect more knowledge out of what the company is currently doing. As a result while I may be a fanboy to one side, this post isn't about what like, it's about what WB's animation retails reality is.

The two sections of the library with the most traction this year are undeniably Modern CN shows and Hanna Barbera. They certainly out number every other section. Most of the Modern Cn shows are having regular releases like most modern tv is, and depending on how you count we've either had 9 or 10 (with one more confirmed for later) out this year of HB releases. That's certainly more than can be said of the Looney Tunes, or later WB products or even older CN originals (which haven't even had one this year)

As id dvd sales are a slowly sinking ship, lack of demand is causing many studios to contract out a bunch of content to third parties like crazy. The mere fact that those two libraries don't seem to be in any danger in that climate, is pretty much a sign there is decent enough demand. It's probably not globally awesome, but enough to keep the faith going. Especially when the other examples are quite paltry. Warner Archive is a niche kind of business still, but let's also not ignore a hell of a lot of their preview videos, podcasts, comic con panels and even the requests seen on their social media are spent on Hanna Barbera.

I could go on about the other factors of the brand but right now this is only really about home video. While a lot of individual questions to be raised on which HB cartoons are popular than others, I'll give you that some of the list mentioned earlier stand to reason they aren't top priorities, but given how much of the studios output comes out each year, odds and demands of that list look a lot higher than the list that started off this thread.

And just to close in a bit of brutal honesty, if this climate allowed for sales and demand for dvd releases of Loopy de Loop and Dumb and Dumber: The Animated Series and they didn't make them second guess releasing so much Hanna Barbera each year, I really don't think much of their library has anything to fear. Barring of course the end of dvds.

• Agree Agree x 1