1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will season DVD/Blu-Ray sets be a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Sonicx399, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sonicx399

Sonicx399 Wannabe animator

With the rise of streaming services such as Amazon, Vudu, Hulu, ect. Most companies don't release shows on DVD and Blu-Ray. Cartoon Network and Disney are very guilty of this. Could we see the end of season sets of animated series? Currently, these sets are still being released, but rarely.

2. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

I'd about say no in a way. Streaming places like Hulu and even Netflix which are two I'm familiar with that acquire outside series/films have them up for however long and then they'll be removed. If they were more permanent then I could say DVD/BR wouldn't be needed, but if there is a series and/or film I at the time really want to watch and no (legal) streaming service has it, that's where the trusty disc comes in. Of course, there is some places that allow you to download, but as pointed prior, it is good to have the disc.

I can't comment on behalf of Disney when I don't pay attention, but CN does seem select of series it does release. Adventure Time for example has had numerous collaborations of episodes from multiple seasons, and then they do the yearly seasonal set (which is all I go for). I still think for the time being - and I suppose it depends on the company (WB for example) we'll still get season sets or split season sets. Going back to legal streaming availability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Not in the immediate future, but eventually, yeah. The writing's on the wall with things like Disney starting their own streaming service, separate from Netflix. I get the feeling that eventually, every major movie studio will have their own streaming service where they'll put their movies and TV shows that can play on any device. Eventually they'll say to themselves, "Why release physical if all the bases are covered by this service?"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Honestly I would be mostly okay with the lack of physical releases if a show is for sale on iTunes or Amazon. There I can by digital copies for keeps instead of being at the mercy of whenever Netflix or Hulu decides to pull it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Have Ebooks replace all actual books? Has Itunes killed CDs?

We're the middle of a transitional period for entertainment there's no doubt about that, but it's not going to be so drastic as if to rewrite absolutely everything before it. Physical media still has a place in this climate of ours, and while it might not be the dominant force it once was, I doubt it will be leaving anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that they'll be replaced completely. Buying shows digitally and watching them through streaming services has definitely become more common place. It's why they usually announce a movie being available digitally a few weeks before the DVD comes out. There is still a place for physically buying DVDs/Blu Rays. Buying a lot of shows and movies would take up room on your hard drive too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Kirben

Kirben Member

Physical media might as well be dead for animated series already, outside of anime series. There is barely anything still been released on DVD, let alone on Blu-ray. I still rely on Blu-ray/DVD to see newer animated series, and look for releases worldwide.

Cartoon Network series are getting better releases by Madman Entertainment in Australia, in terms of Blu-ray releases, and season sets been offered for sale.
    Disney still have their older series locked in the vault, and continue to only release preschool series on DVD lately. Disney couldn't even be bothered to completely release Gravity Falls on DVD.
    New Marvel series are only been released on DVD by Beyond Home Entertainment in Australia, through a sub-license.
    Cartoon series from Nickelodeon are DVD-R only at best, other than a few major titles (Avatar, Korra, SpongeBob SquarePants).
    Warner Brother continues to only release a few new series on DVD, with older series only getting released on DVD-R via Warner Archive. Plus the very rare release of the odd DC animated title on Blu-ray.
    Mill Creek have really slowed down their releases, with more re-releases lately.
    Shout Factory have barely released any titles recently either, other than continued random episodes of Hasbro cartoon series.
    Releases of cartoon series from other smaller studios are rare, and even more infrequent.

More and more cartoon series are only available via DVD-R, which I find no better than bootlegs. And the amount of episodes per disc is getting higher, reducing the video quality too. With recent re-releases of Hanna-Barbera series from Warner Bros in the USA, and releases of local cartoon series (The Deep, Prisoner Zero) by ABC in Australia, having up to 9 episodes per disc now.

There is still a large amount of animated series released on DVD in Europe (France/Germany), but rarely offering the English audio. Pidax in Germany have recently released a few older cartoon series (Mummies Alive, Redwall) with English audio as option though.

There is a huge amount of cartoon series, that were never released in English on DVD anywhere worldwide. Add the large amount of DVD releases that have gone out of print over the years, and there aren't that many cartoon series still easily available on DVD.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Kirben, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

There's iTunes and Google Play...

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Its a bit of a split deal. DVDs are being outgrown at some proportion but for the most part they still have relevancy, to most people that enjoy older versions, that is what they contribute to, retaining a selected version because one can never know what quality can come out of streaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Compared to Australia, France and Germany barely get any cartoon DVDs.

11. Kirben

Kirben Member

I can only judge by Amazon (France & Germany), but there is a stack more variety of new and old cartoon series been released in both countries. I specially mean non-anime cartoon series only, as anime is still covered well even in Australia.

Only Beyond Home Entertainment still regularly releases cartoon series in Australia, almost all Marvel series this year. Madman Entertainment have recently started offering more season sets of recent Cartoon Network series too. Plus the local releases of new animated series which Warner Bros. still release on DVD in the USA. There is very little else offered, and it is usually by single DVD volumes.

If you check out the Exclusive titles section of my web site, you will notice there aren't many cartoon series only available in Australia, and the majority were released long ago.

12. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

They're not going to go away completely, but man, we're a long way from the days of DVD sets lining the shelves of stores like "Best Buy". It seems it's been about 10 years since the start of "the collapse of the DVD market", does that sound about right?

If some other form of physical media were to successfully replace DVD's, then their might be a new wave of season sets, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I still maintain that the "Blu-Ray" phenomenon started too soon- I remember when Blu-Rays came out (around 2006?). I had only gotten around to buying a DVD player around Christmas 2002, after begrudgingly sticking with VCR/VHS tapes for years (and I wasn't the only one - I think Walmart was still selling VHS tapes of movies up until 2003 or 2004).

When I saw Blu-Rays being advertised, I was like "It's just a glorified DVD! I'm not switching over, I just got a DVD player 3 or 4 years ago!". I think several people thought the same way. But if Blu-Ray players came out NOW, (when we are firmly in the era of "High Depth TV's") then it could've kick started a new wave of disk media season sets.

But the market wasn't ready for Blu-Rays back in 2006/2007 (and again, I think that's right around the time the DVD market started to take a turn for the decline)....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Interestingly, that's how I feel about 4K Blu-ray right now. Maybe if I was made of money and had a 4K TV, I'd feel differently, but right now I have zero interest in upgrading my Blu-rays. Hell, I've upgraded most of my DVDs, I'm not gonna do it again so soon.

14. Kirben

Kirben Member

I really don't think a newer format of physical media would make any difference, there still aren't that many cartoon series even released on Blu-ray after so many years.

The lower cost of DVD production these days and ability to easily sell directly online , should actually make DVD releases of cartoon series much less risky. But we continue to get less and less cartoon series released on DVD each year.

Blu-ray releases offer a major difference in quality for movies, and cartoon series produced in HD (around 2001 onwards for major studios). The problem is the majority of older cartoon series were edited on video tape, so wouldn't get any real benefit in quality from Blu-ray releases. Some older cartoon series have even had their masters lost over time, due to lack of care.
    The chance of companies going back to film stock, and re-editing episodes would be about zero, due to the enormous costs required.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't mind honestly. Even though streaming became huge, digital releases is better than physicals, especially since they can be played on tablets, smartphones, smart TVs, and computers.
    I'm mostly saying this as a person who no longer has a DVD player in the house (and doesn't like watching them on a desktop computer).

16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

All of what you say is probably true; my post was largely in the context of "What if"? Like "what if Blu-Rays came out today, instead of 10 years ago?"

With that much time passing between the DVD boom years and the advent of Blu-Rays, maybe that'd spur a new physical media boom...

17. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I think Blu-Ray was a complete flop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

For today's children's content? Already as good as dead. Older stuff that has nostalgia will truck along, maybe moving to more expensive collectors-only releases.