1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will popular music ever change?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Toon Master, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

I mean good god.....how many times do we have to hear songs that recycle the same beats and use the same chorus structure over and over again. I know this is because the music companies find this type of music easy to produce and very marketable, and the people keep eating it up, but will we ever get something different? If you've ever listened to a channel like Kiss 108 here in Boston then you know the type of music I'm talking about. The songs are all about the same things (love and partying). Will we ever get to a point where this will all change? When will people stop buying and listening to this crap?

Now yes, I know that I can easily avoid this music, but sometimes I check out the top 40 stations just to see what's currently being played. With that said, I do mainly listen to the songs I've bought on iTunes. I'm not much of a Pandora guy and I never use any of those radio services in general because I never like the songs I hear. I like to pick the songs I want to hear and not have some app tell me what it thinks I'll like or have some songs that are related to a specific artist. I'm just dying for this era of music to pass now. It's gone on for too long.

#1 Toon Master, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  2. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Popular music is always changing.

So, yes, it will change.

3. Toon Master

But we've been in this "era" for so long. Every year the same crap is played on the radio and is popularized year after year. All of these dance songs and pop groups that all sound exactly the same. I guess my real problem lies in the idea that there seems to be no originality anymore. It's a shame in my opinion.

4. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Really? If anything I've seen a rise in dubstep/trap music for the past couple of years now, and it's probably gonna get even bigger throughout this decade. Even the electronic or dance songs I listen to on Pandora/Soundcloud/etc are feeling more slow and mellow compared to how fast-paced and high-tempo they were in the past. But I don't really pay attention to Top 40 hits on the radio anymore, so I'm probably wrong about this.

5. Toon Master

No, you're probably completely right and I'm just being one of those jerks who thinks that all of music needs to be classic rock or something. I mean I guess that the electronic and dance music is getting slower and more mellow, but then again I'm basing this on what you've said. I posted this thread with my general opinion after listening on and off to top 40 radio for the past 6-7 years and all I seem to hear is the same thing played over and over again by different "artists." Then again maybe that's all I THINK I hear. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention to music anymore, and maybe I just can't seem to shake this feeling.

6. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I'd recommend getting Pandora if you're tired of radio then. It changes itself to give you specifically what you want out of music.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Don't listen to popular music.

8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I just listen to the local jazz station. Problem solved. :p

Anyway, "pop" music DOES change, but only in subtle ways over periods of time. The changes are slow, gradual, and transitional, so it may not seem like much is changing, but it really is.

We've transitioned from electronica to techno/trance to dubstep all in the course of a decade, and they're all digitally produced, so the transitions are easy to mask.

9. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

What is the point of this thread exactly? Forget that it sounds way to "get of my lawn" ish, its also just very general and vague. You dont give examples of songs you hate nor specify why in needs to change. You dont even give examples of songs you do like and what you wish you could here more of. Was the point here just for you to say music nowadays sux kthaxbie?

And for the record most music is about love and partying regardless of decade or era.

10. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

One thing I've noticed lately is the popularity of "alt-pop", which seems to be custom-made for people like Toon Master. Artists like Of Monsters and Men, Imagine Dragons, Twenty One Pilots, Lorde, Mumford & Sons, Bastille, American Authors, you get the idea. They are definitely influenced by alternative music but also by current trends in pop. Acoustic stringed instruments (not just acoustic guitars, but instruments like the banjo and ukulele) are common, but so are electronics and piano/keyboards. Any electric guitar is likely to be so distorted it sounds more like a synth, and beats and live drums go hand in hand.

That seems to have become quite popular lately and are breaking up the monotony on the Top 40 as of late.

11. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

I don't think it is about "getting off the lawn" as it is about "getting off that puddle of mud". Through post-modernist methods, Synthpop is today labeled as "Brostep", Italo Disco is labeled "Bigroom" and Ballad is labeled "Trap".

No wonder we're pissed.

12. ILuvToons

ILuvToons Yellow Pearl got sass!