1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will CN even CELEBRATE its 25th Anniversary?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by superkeegan9100, Feb 26, 2017.

?

Will they?

1. No, they'll just celebrate 25 years WITH A TEEN TITANS GO MARATHON!

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Yes, I'm sure they will.

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I'd argue CN is doing at least somewhat better than Nick in that, at least with their original shows, they typically don't screw them over if they are somewhat under-performing early on. I mean, yeah they haven't been too nice to acquisitions, but JLA's treatment isn't terrible by any stretch and I think what happened with the WB comedy shows is more of an issue with US Turner than CN themselves.

But to get more to the point of the discussion, they are sure to do something of significance, even if it is overall much smaller than the 20th anniversary was. A lot of it will probably be in their social media platforms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

One thing I thought of they could do is ask 25 year old fans to share their memories similarly to how they use kids in the bumpers.

3. Action!

Action! Active Member

At least Cartoon Network doesn't move it's crappy shows to Boomerang.

4. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

That could work.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. JPReckless2444

Imo, I don't think they will do anything on their 25th Anniversary. It's hard to top their 20th Anniversary back in 2012. At least Toonami is going all out for their 20th Anniversary, seemingly bringing back the pipe look for March.

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Well, it doesn't make do much of a difference when they barely play them as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

...PPG '16 is currently on Boomerang, plus TTG and Gumball have been airing since 2014.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I don't think Rob Sorcher is exactly to blame, he has control over content, not the schedule. CN will celebrate its 25th anniversary, linear TV is still important but it's waning, hence why they're pushing the app as much as possible as VOD is on the up, it's hard to predict the future, but in ten years time, I wouldn't be surprised that the channel will be gone for good, or be a fully customised live stream at least.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Toon4Thought

None of those examples can be classified as a 'move', really, since all three of those shows still air new episodes on the primary network.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to new episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. superkeegan9100

...Oops. I forgot.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They might not do anything as big as the 20th anniversary, but they'll definitely do something. Airing TTG all day isn't going to stop that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. superkeegan9100

I know, but they do it so frequently that I sometimes forget about their other shows.

14. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

That is as big as they are probably going to celebrate if they decide to throw one.

15. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

Here's the problem though, CN doesn't NEED to celebrate it. Nor do they probably WANT to because doing that kind of celebration will ring in an extremely low number of viewers, as they would be airing a bunch of classic shows that the 6-11 demographic know nothing of and will not want to tune into. Of course that may not have stopped them back in 2012 for their 20th birthday, but ratings are a bigger deal than variety now than ever before due to the competition between cable and streaming services.

Why do you think CN rarely takes risks with their programming? Why do you think the only marathons or special events that occur are based off of the mere 6 or some shows that are in their lineup already? (TTG, Gumball, WBB, Mighty Magiswords, Steven Universe, Clarence)

Because maintaining ratings are the only way to keep cable tv alive nowadays, not as much so variety. This is why CN has been bombarding TTG more than any other show the past 3 to 4 years, because there hasn't been another show that's beaten it in the ratings and popularity in the 6-11 demographic. So why make a big change if the numbers are fine? If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

This is why CN has to be very careful before deciding to abruptly go all out with a 25th birthday celebration, they would need to give classic shows some breathing room to gather viewers from the 6-11 demographic (Note: I keep mentioning this demographic because this is CN's core audience for programming). By breathing room I mean for example: if they decide they want to rerun Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, and Courage all at the same time on the main network, they would need to take it a step at a time by airing one old show within a month long timespan to gain good viewership (such as airing it at 6:30pm after TTG in their primetime blocks).

Channels like CN and Nick choose not to do that though, because they have secondary channels to air it on (Boomerang, Nicktoons, Teen Nick) and their website to post full episodes of old programs.

Overall though, I don't think CN will celebrate their 25th birthday, due to the event jeopardizing their ratings. It sounds extremely selfish, but at the end of the day, cable TV is full of businesses desperate for the cash flow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

You make a good point, an anniversary really isn't something always celebrated, heck I don't even remember a 15th anniversary, unless of course if Out of Jimmy's head happened to be that :sweat:. Eitherway maybe this year could be another one with little celebration.

17. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The idea alone that modern kids wouldn't be interested in old cartoons. Any proof of that? Did 90s kids not like Tom and Jerry because it was too old? I don't think so.

There are plenty of reasons to not air the old shows, but I highly doubt ratings is one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

Remember by the fact that this is just another milestone, whether or not if they care about celebrating for how long they been around, I'm pretty sure that other networks had it but either ignored it and kept it going what they do normally, It's not like they even care much about what they did in the past since now its a whole different subject to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Toon4Thought

Well, the problem is the ratings really aren't fine like you claimed. TTG and SU typically only hover around 1.1-1.3 million at this point, while nearly all of the other shows can't even regularly break 1 million.

And I know that doesn't really diminish your point, but it is at least worth taking into account. Also, I think the celebration they would have wouldn't intrude on the live lineup anyway, like putting episodes of old shows on the app or something.

20. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

The thing is this is exactly what caused people to abandon TV in the first place!

I don't think they are doing this to keep the channel alive but rather because they are lazy & want to go with what works instead of taking chances on new properties

But it IS broken & DOES need fixing

• Agree Agree x 1
    #40 Mikurotoro92, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017