WILL ARCHIE REBOOT SONIC THE HEDGEHOG UNIVERSE

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by kid rabbit, Jul 17, 2017.

1. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

they might bringing the comics back :) if they do Archie could take the opportunely to reboot the series start at a new #1 issue

2. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

At this point, I'm pretty sure Archie is gonna drop Sonic. There's been rumors they've wanted to only focus on Riverdale and get rid of anything else, and I'd honestly rather see the franchise under someone like IDW instead.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sound like someone who likes everything normal but I think Sonic should avoid reboots in general, they aren't all that good especially when their video games have never been received well when doing something different.

4. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Should a new Sonic comic happen, then it's most likely going to be published by a different publisher instead of Archie.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

5. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

The comic "reboot" actually did well once they stopped having Penders on board. I think it could do fine again with a new publisher who actually treats it right.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

You know the sad thing was that for awhile, Archie was actually treating Sonic right. There were some serious down periods that seemed like the comics could end (like after the Knuckles spin off and super specials were cancelled, or right before Ian Flynn was picked up) but for awhile it was doing really well. Heck back in 2013 Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Universe were selling a lot better then the regular Archie line at the time, thus why despite all the legal issues with Ken Penders Archie still wanted to keep the Sonic title around and though did softly "reboot" it, that was only so they could still keep the comics and their main still popular continuity around. Thus why the new universe wasn't even restarting the numbering which they could of found a way to excuse like most comic book titles seemed to do, but didn't. And granted when Archie did reboot their Riverdale gang it did sort of mean screwing over the Sonic team. Since though this hasn't been offiically been confirmed, remember there was a kickstarter Archie started to try and get spin offs of Jughead and Betty And Veronica and Reggie off the ground in 2015 that was quickly disbanded but that led to delays on some other books and around that time Sonic Boom and Mega Man were cancelled and as Ian Flynn and others said who worked on those titles "It wasn't cancelled because of low sales or reviews for the books themselves" so pretty obvious Archie took money from those titles for their own in house ones.

Still I wouldn't want to see a reboot of the comic universe and would still want them to be under Archie with the main continuity established post "Super Genesis Wave". Yeah there are some annoying bits but the stories and characters are still solid and there feels like a lot of stories still to tell and I felt now that they were past the Sonic Unleashed saga and will be able to tell other stories. There are still possibilities and arcs to make and the team doing the comics is still good so I feel there's no need for a reboot. What we should get is Sega just giving Archie back the rights and stop being jerks about it and the comics continuing and us getting an apology for this pointless massive delay. I know that won't happen but again IMHO that's what SHOULD happen.

7. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Just announced: RIP Archie Sonic.

They are saying it's not the end of the comics, so I bet they're going off to IDW or someone more capable.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again it wasn't the lack of people who were capable over at Archie and... though I'll give a chance to whoever the new publishers were honestly this does feel like Sega just wanting to totally do their own thing with Sonic and create their own world 100% faithful to the games. Which is fine but... I think it's no argument most of the comic stories have been better over the years the games ones and it feels so sour the Archie comics ended over something like this. Seriously They go for nearly a quarter of a century to end over rights negotations and Sega not realizing in the decades they've seen Sonic failure after Sonic failure the comics over at Archie knew what they were doing more then they did? Again give the new team a chance but... man this just feels like super depressing news honestly. Since I've been a fan of the comics for 20 years and to no longer have new ones from Archie coming anymore just feels... depressing on like so many levels.

9. AdrenalineRush1996

And that it was Sega of America's decision to mutually end their partnership with Archie Comics.

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

IDW is taking over the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book rights.

11. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

unfortunely this means they'll most likely will
    reboot
    a kiss goodbye to the amazing series that got
    me into comics

12. AdrenalineRush1996

I already know that.

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Reboot or not, I want Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters to stay in the Sonic the Hedgehog IDW 2018 relaunch!

14. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

All things considered, it's a miracle they lasted as long as they did.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Let's hope the miracle happens!

• Like Like x 1