1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Will a Cartoon Ever Reach The Apex of Cultural Phenomena Like Spongebob Did Ever Again?"

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TheMusicdewd, Sep 30, 2017.

1. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

Why was this thread deleted here? Especially after I just posted in it? This doesn't make any sense.

2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I do not know.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Given the user who made that thread.

But in reality this topic doesn't have much to say, at this point, it is hard to really say any show will be as popular as Spongebob.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

SpongeBob isn't the first and won't be the last cartoon reaching the "apex" of cultural phenomena.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

Read my post please. I love how hungry certain users are on here for a heated debate.

6. Red Arrow :D

I am not here for a heated debate. At all.

I doubt your thread got deleted. It just didn't save properly. Technical issues are common.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

But it wasn't my thread, it was someone else' thread (can't remember who). But shortly after I posted a comment in it, the whole thread was suddenly gone about 45 minutes after I responded. At first, I thought my post got deleted because I may have came off as condescending in it, but the whole thread was deleted.

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I don't remember the name of the user who posted the first thread, but they were a new member. I didn't see the thread on the day it was deleted, but my theory it was another puppet from Man Cartman. It seems to be the trend around here that they join and act like a regular member for a little while before they start spamming Anytown all over the place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Remember when Rugrats was THE cartoon on Nickelodeon? Nickelodeon was in love with Tommy and co. To a point a lot of people didn't think Spongebob would even last very long, that it simply couldn't compete with Rugrat's massive popularity (the show had two and a half theatrical movies!).

Oh, how hindsight is 20-20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

That's not completely true. SpongeBob was already competing with Rugrats' popularity during the 2000-2001 school year even after Rugrats in Paris came out in theaters. They were about neck in neck in popularity. I know because all my friends in kindergarten were talking about it and I got a SpongeBob pillow pet for Christmas that year (which I still have).

By the fall of 2001, SpongeBob was all the rage. Around that time the first SpongeBob soundtrack came out and my mom got it for me on CD to listen to.

11. 90'sKid

Perhaps, but I was referring more to SB during it's first season, back at the tail end of the 90's. It is true that once SB's popularity soared, Rugrat's began to decline, and Rugrats was cancelled around the time of the Spongebob movie.

12. TheMusicdewd

TheMusicdewd Member

Sorry, I know you meant.

13. Red Arrow :D

SpongeBob is popular all over the world. Rugrats... not so much.

You should compare SpongeBob with Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, The Simpsons, Transformers, Ninja Turtles and perhaps even Ben 10.

You were more likely to see Ben 10 merchandise in 2010 in a foreign country than Rugrats merchandise in 2000. Mostly because Nickelodeon wasn't very widespread back then.

(I have never even seen Nickelodeon merchandise besides Dora and SpongeBob stuff)

14. 90'sKid

Ok. I'm sorry too.

">@Red Arrow

Perhaps, but all I was saying was that at the time Rugrats was more popular than Spongebob was when it was just getting started (during its first season). However, it's debatable how much of SB's popularity is the result of the show's quality (or, post movie, lack-there-of) or how much of it is the result of Nickelodeon over saturating itself with the Sponge.

15. Muffy Crosswire

Muffy Crosswire New Member

For Nick? Probably not.

But my show Arthur was and still is bigger than both Rugrats and Spongebob. I'd like to see the latter go into it's 21 season.

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Even if it has more seasons the show is not even well known at this point. Heck chances are people forget that it's still going.

17. Muffy Crosswire

Muffy Crosswire New Member

Please, you only have to look at the memes people still create and the ratings itself. It's rare to get such a connect from the kids that watch and adults that create and understand pop culture. After all, when you have someone such as me actively involved it's no suprise.

18. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Sonic SatAm has memes continuing even as of right now, and even for the memes that are used none of them focus on newer Arthur.

19. Red Arrow :D

Arthur never even aired here. Never seen any Arthur merchandise in Europe, either.

20. 90'sKid

I didn't even realize that show was still even on air, I thought it ended back at the start of the 00's.

• Agree Agree x 1