1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will 2D Animation Make A Return In Theatres n The 2020s

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by DomainMorph, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

"Just because I don't like where things are going, here are the opinions written 10 years ago by a cranky one-hit wonder that reinforce my opinion."

Seriously. No disrespect, but I absolutely detest when anyone tries to cite John K's blog as gospel. He is a curmudgeonly traditionalist whose career died almost as soon as Nickelodeon kicked him to the curb after 2 seasons on Ren & Stimpy because he was such a pain to work with, and spent the entirety of the 2000s trashing pretty much every style and artist he doesn't like.

Most of the rest of us are here talking about industry trends and technical facts. I don't know how much people like him care about that, because the golden Looney Tunes era can't last forever.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

@Yum I had to do a mass deletion of your posts because you posted seven times in a row. When you want to add something new, please edit your previous comments.

Also, adding in dozens of links is counterproductive to the type of discussion we want in Toonzone. Outside of it counting as an irritating posting style, we want to encourage people to engage in healty debates. So instead of just linking to Jon K's blog, why not explain in one post why you agree with him or just state your piece on why you think 2D animated films can or can not return in the 2020s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

As much as I hope so, but since there's a lot of doubting thomases in this forum, I'm not so sure. I have a very difficult time trying to move on from hand drawn animation.

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Well, I will say we are getting at least one American-made 2D animated film this year, that being the My Little Pony movie. And for the most part the animation looks pretty dang colorful and alive, making the visuals alone enough of a hook for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

Well we know that there will be a Loud House movie in the 2020's.

A Family Guy movie has been in development since 2012, a sequel to The Simpsons Movie is something that 20th Century Fox wants, but is said to only happen after the series ends (who knows when that will be).

There is also an Adventure Time movie in development, but nothing has been heard about it since 2015.

6. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Im sure if My Little Pony becomes a success like the show has then it might

7. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Id say the only way 2D films could return to being produced regularly would be for films based on tv shows, like with what MLP, Loud House, Teen Titans Go, SpongeBob, and Bob's Burgers are getting. For original films, that'd be more challenging.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It definitely looks that way.
    It's funny, a lot of people were hoping MLP would save 2D animation, but a lot of the movies you mentioned were announced before MLP even came out. Thank goodness the other studios weren't relying on its success, because the movies not doing so well at the box office (for obvious reasons).
    If anyone should be thanked for saving 2D animation in theaters, it's Spongebob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Well, I've heard My Little Pony The Movie is in second place at the box office. Not too bad. I don't know if this will save 2d animation, but I guess so far it's a start.

10. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It may have changed since you posted that before. It’s actually in 4th.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

11. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Well, IT is a very,very well received movie and I heard Blade Runner was a film that many were looking forward to. Add in the lack of commercials that the MLP film had received, and it's kind of a miracle that it even got to fourth place at the box office.

#33 ShadowBeast, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  12. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Really? Huh! It was in 2nd place yesterday. Oh well, I guess fourth place is kind of respectable enough.

13. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Though it is worth noting Blade Runner got about $20 million or so less than predicted, to the point where it was deemed a bomb. That's interesting, but at least people won't blame that for this film underperforming.

14. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

It will be interesting to see how well the film holds up in the coming weeks. It opened on par with The Wild Thornberrys Movie, A Goofy Movie, and Recess: School's Out, which all ended up getting between $35 million and $40 million domestically. But it's also on par with Pokemon 3: The Movie and Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie, which dropped like a rock and ended up only making $17 million and $19 million.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's all a moot point since we still don't know MLP's movie budget. But I bet Hasbro is relying heavily on pre-sales to make its money back, knowing a lot of people will just just watch this on Netflix.

16. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I guess MLP The Movie didn't work to save 2D animation. It was a good try. I was hoping they tried to make Disney change their mind about making hand drawn animated features, but I guess it looks like it's harder than it looks. As much as I'm trying to move forward from hand drawn animation, but I guess revisiting some old Disney movies like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc, it makes it very difficult.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In order for big companies like Disney to have taken notice, the movie would have to have made half a billion or more at the box office.
    In the end MLP didn't save 2D animation at all, but before it came out, we got news of movies based off TTG and Bob's Burgers. Along with a Loud House and Spongebob movie on the way, 2D animation is on its way back, just not in the way people were hoping.
    Besides, if MLP was a huge hit, we wouldn't be getting 2D animation back to the way people were hoping. The animation would like that seen on The Lion Guard on a good day, which like the MLP movie, is done with Toonboom.

18. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I was afraid your going to say that. But I'm not surprise that MLP movie didn't save hand drawn animation. I don't want to be negative, but sometimes I think big higher ups stinks on ice. Sorry, I hate to say that.

#40 TsWade2, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017