1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wikiprojects

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by MonkeyFunk, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

A while back, early on in the wiki's life, I remember someone bringing up the idea of adopting Wikipedia's Wikiprojects - that is, banding together to flesh out the site's coverage of a certain subject. I think it's maybe time we started that, so any thoughts on what subject we should go for?

My own choice would be an Oscars wikiproject. Like this:

Primary goal: put together reasonably-sized articles on the last three nominees for the Best Animated Feature Oscar.
    Secondary goals: put together articles on the studios and directors behind those films, and provide the same coverage of the recent Best Animated Short nominees.
    Long-term goal: do the same for all the films that have won the two Oscars in the past, along with their directors and studios.

Any thoughts?

Other possible subjects: Looney Tunes, Matt Groening, Disney's golden age, Pixar.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I like this, I'll try to think of further ideas at a time when I'm fully awake...that Oscar idea does appeal to me, though.

3. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Wikiprojects are really the way forward for us. It's ok folks doing the odd article on a show they enjoy, but something more focussed is really needed. I think the Oscars would be a brilliant starting point :)

4. MonkeyFunk

I'll go ahead and make a thread on the particulars of an Oscar project, then - this thread can be used to discuss any other project ideas.

On that note, I was looking through the older posts on the matter and saw that there was some doubt about brand or franchise-based projects on the ground that they might make it look like the Wiki was leaning towards one franchise.

I figured we could get round this problem by making franchise-based projects in pairs, covering subjects at different ends of the spectrum (for example, a DCAU project alongside a Wallace and Gromit project). That way it's clear that we want to cover a wide range of animation.

5. MonkeyFunk

Something else that came up in old discussions was the idea of promoting projects to the rest of the forum. Right now we need a WALL-E article, which'd be a great group project for the Disney board - any ideas on how we could get them involved?