1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U/Switch] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Pre-Release Discussion (TAG YOUR SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Jun 10, 2014.

1. SparkleMan

SparkleMan One Step Closer To The Edge

OH. MY. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw the Japanese trailer, and the voice acting in that version is much better (and I'm not a dub hater).

• Like Like x 1
  3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

No surprise amiibos and both SE editions of the game are already gone on Amazon... The fancy SE is gone on Best Buy, but the less fancy SE is still there, as well as the amiibos (but there are no pictures; took a chance anyway on the main ones). It really depresses me that Zelda as a series is hit by the scalpers so much more than any of the others.

But some good news, F4F is doing a PVC figure of the archer Link. Info: http://www.gamertoynews.com/first-4-figures-zelda-breath-wild-link-statue-revealed/

No price for that yet, but since it's plastic, expect it to be much cheaper than their porcelain offerings. I only have a pair of the Wind Waker Ganondorf statues (the two of them combined ended up being cheaper than just one of their Twilight Princess Ganondorf statues, yowza).

4. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

A head-to-head comparison between the Wii U and Switch versions of Breath of the Wild.

(edit: moving these here since it's more Zelda focused)

#84 Storm Eagle, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2017
  5. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

This isn't a question for you necessarily, but where did they get the Wii copy? Is it the old demo, or a more finished one? It looks really dim and choppy at the beginning, almost as though they couldn't control Link in the same way as the Switch copy. Plus, maybe it would have helped the comparison a little if they switched sides for some of those comparison shots at the beginning of the video, since the full screen side by side shots were a little hard to see.

6. Storm Eagle

It looks like they just took video clips from the Wii U version and put them side by side with matching video clips from the Switch version.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Cool product here for would-be Switch owners that love Zelda. Technically there isn't a BotW-branded console, but with this accessory from PDP you can dress up the Switch with thumb caps + screen protection as a bonus. $20 seems pretty reasonable for that.

8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Trust me. So many people on the internet are going crazy about this. I'm happy to see a more reasonable response here.

I understand announcing the season pass early because of the day-one bonus content, but it's really angered a lot of people and have caused quite a few arguments online.

Anyway, I think locking hard mode in the season pass was a problematic choice. You can't buy any of the DLC separately. It's all or nothing so if someone just wants hard mode, they can't get it which is unfortunate.

Another Cave of Trials like Twilight Princess HD or even the Den of Trials in Tri Force Heroes is pretty cool though.

The holiday content with a new story, dungeon and challenges sounds pretty cool like the DLC in the Witcher III. Since it's out in winter unlike the summer Cave of Trials, hard mode, and map feature, it definitely seems like content they've started working on after the game was completed.

I'm interested to see if the content can change some upset fans minds or if DLC in Zelda is too blasphemous for them.

10. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

It's bull puckey if you ask me. 20 more bucks for the full game? And this all or none thing reeks of Ubisoft or the other leeches, not Nintendo. I'll get it because I only have to pay 51 for the disc because of preorder price guarantee, but I'm not happy.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

If the mere presence of DLC is enough to make Zelda fans walk away from THIS, then I don't know man. Maybe I want to walk with them so I can get taken back to whatever planet they'd be from.

That said, hard mode should be in the base game. The only mitigating factor is that BotW's flexibility more or less allows players to make the game as hard as they want it to be already.

Nintendo's descriptions aside, it's hard to judge exactly how meaty that extra content is going to be. The March content, moreover, isn't substantial unless you like the idea of breaking the illusion and putting on a Switch shirt. So I think the savvy move is to wait until Summer until more detail is available for the first significant content. It's not like the pack is going anywhere, and the base game ought to offer plenty to keep busy. No need to spend $20 until you know you'll get the value from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

I'm more annoyed at the fact that I have to buy the hard mode to get the other mode. I never use hard mode and would be fine skipping it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Some people are calling this a "season" pass. Nintendo never said anything of the sort. They're only calling it an "expansion" pass, which I don't think is the same thing. We have three treasure chests that feature:

-A shirt for Link to wear with the Switch logo
    -a "Cave of Trials" challenge, a new hard mode, and a new feature for the map
    -a new dungeon and "an new original story"

That doesn't really sound like the kind of "season pass" that some people are thinking of (e.g., The Pinball Arcade, and its "seasons" of new pinball tables). As for whether or not some or all of these things should be in the game from the start, that's another issue. Suffice it to say, I'm going to assume that none of this is necessary to enjoy the game for what it already is. After all, it's not like Nintendo is giving everyone half a game with the rest of it being DLC. This is Nintendo we're talking about. I really don't think they would ever abuse DLC. To put it another way, I don't think they would ever "nickel and dime" any of their games (or the game players) like that, which is probably why they're having everyone buy all of it at the same time; New Super Mario Bros. U did something similar with New Super Luigi U (although, that eventually got a stand-alone release). OTOH, having said all that, I'm not necessarily a fan of this myself...

• Agree Agree x 1
    #93 Mandouga, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Nintendo posted a video of Eiji Aonuma unboxing the limited edition set for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

That case is such an enormous waste of plastic...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

I received my copy of "Art and Artifacts" in the mail today, and while it features very little of Breath of the Wild, I highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of Zelda. There is just about every piece of official Zelda artwork ever released contained within, and while I feared they'd shirk off attention on Link to the Past and previous (as they're not the most loved of the current leadership), all the old illustrations are there. The best bonus is a little pixel art section in the back, and LTTP takes center stage with every sprite displayed.

Edit: It has also come to my attention that BOTW has already been leaked ahead of the release date.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING UNTIL IT OFFICIALLY COMES OUT, AS A COURTESY. REMEMBER PACO. :paco:

• Like Like x 1
    #96 defunctzombie, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Out of curiosity, what kind of Breath of the Wild stuff is in the Art and Artifacts book? Promo imagery or is there at least a little of landscapes or concept art?

18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

A fold out of the cliff climbing image (most of it is the purple sky), a few promo shots of Link with the bow and on horseback, and the promo art of the guardian and bokoblin. No concept art and nothing of Zelda or any of the other races seen in the trailers. :( I would have liked to see some of those, especially the redesigned Zora and Gerudo. But I'm guessing they will save anything like that for the eventual blue book in the Dark Horse series, because this book has "The Goddess Collection" and a Din symbol on the back implying they will release a third. There was also nothing about Hyrule Warriors inside, though it's not a real Zelda game so I wasn't expecting it. (But pooey, it had some great designs.)

19. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Here's a comparison between the Wii U version and the Switch version. And the Wii U version is the final build, not the E3 build.

It's just the opening, and talking to the old man. It doesn't go further than that.

20. Storm Eagle

I suppose this might be it, even though I don't think it'll really be about concept art in any way.

It comes out in Japan today. So maybe we'll get our own version one day.