1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U/Switch] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Pre-Release Discussion (TAG YOUR SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Even more tidbits from hearing and / or watching Treehouse's ongoing exploration segment:

• Naturally Link can set waypoints on the map to give you a sense of direction. You also don't necessarily have to run the whole time. We know Link will get a horse of course, but also you can just go to a high place and use a glider to travel a long way.
    • Amusing: if you have a shield you can use it to surf down terrain (this will help wear it out though).
    • As they've said, the game is about going where you want to and doing what you want to.
    • Link can hunt animals for food (however, you don't have to).
    • It does look as though Link's blue tunic is standard, rather than the traditional green outfit (maybe later?).
    • There are camps with foes all over. At night they sleep, at day they're up. Sneaking in at night to ninja their stuff is an option.
    • The weather is "dynamic". Rain will put out campfires. The cold will affect Link if you don't have things to keep you warm, and cold mountains will get colder at night.
    • Link can climb tons of things, though he is limited by a stamina gauge like in the past.
    It's possible this is the same voice talking to Link in the opening of the game. Voice acting is a first, that's totally right. I believe the rumors were Link would be kept silent but other characters wouldn't be.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, the game looks gorgeous. Man, as someone who loves to explore ever nook and cranny, I'm gonna be busy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

So this sounds a lot like the exploration feel of the old, 80s-era Zelda games, but with modern sensibilities. That is, the whole survival/inventory/upgrades/etc. thing that I've seen a lot of games have lately. I've been up and down when it comes to survival games (some I realize I'm more excited for than others), but for Zelda, I'm excited. I make too many exceptions for Nintendo, admittedly, but the content so far has me jazzed.

4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Nintendo Everything (an unofficial site) claimed that this game wouldn't have towns. Their source? Some random forum post that claimed Eiji Aonuma "confirmed" it. The stream however confirmed that there would be towns. They just don't appear in the E3 version.

I'm really disappointed that someone would troll a forum (in this case, this NeoGAF forums) like this. In any case, this is why you should confirm these things, and focus on what the official source has to say. What's also sad is that many of NeoGAF's members just accepted it as fact without checking elsewhere.

It's like I've always said: until the official source confirms it, it's just rumor and speculation.

Oh, and one other thing, it's true that you can do "whatever you want" and go wherever you want, but just remember, just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should. In other words, I imagine you'll still need to use common sense for certain things (e.g., you wouldn't REALLY want to go into a dungeon with high level monsters with a weapon with very little attack power, and without some kind of defense, would you?).

#64 Mandouga, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The town thing was a misunderstanding. In the E3 demo, there probably are none. Everything they've been showing has been in regard to open world gameplay and various mechanics. Per Aonuma and other sources, they're showing and saying nothing about towns because they would amount to story spoilers that they are trying hard to stay far away from at E3.

6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

In other news, we aren't getting that Female Link after all and for a pretty lame reasoning at that. I mean I appreciated that they considered Zelda in the first place, but I wished they had put forth the effort to try and accommodate them both.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

All things being equal, yes, playable Zelda is the better option to me. And I think the way to handle that would've been to find a way to make her playable along with Link, rather than think of the situation as a zero-sum game.

In lieu of that though, girl Link would've done nothing but add to this game's status as a novel installment and a kind of creative reboot for the franchise. Might have a long post on this later, but for now I'll just say I like what I've seen of this game & hope they'll take what they've heard into account for the next one they make.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

To me, it's kind of like a Mass Effect situation: a character without much of a personality that you can relate to on your own and having a female option to choose for gals like me would have been swell. That alone DOES make a difference. Granted, if Nintendo went ahead and used Zelda first, I would still be all for it because, as you said, she has an established tie to the franchise and a better emphasis on the overall stories.

Either way, agreed with the last sentence, GWOtaku. They did seem like they were really considering it, so I hope they'll keep it in mind for future games.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Indeed, indeed. To be continued....

Spotted in my second viewing of the trailer just now: Link armors up, doesn't necessarily stay in blue forever (though he certainly can if you want to!)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

That was fast! Tuesday's Treehouse videos for Zelda are going up. The first two listed here are the ones I was commenting on earlier.

Edit: Made a playlist of the below and everything for reference, thought I'd link it here. I'll check back and have anything from E3 put in there this week.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbbkYuwMJsbOBhvDa418WqqnZjjDKxWch

Introduction Video:

Exploration Video:

Weapons and Combat:

"The NES Connection" with Shigeru Miyamoto:

Amiibo Gameplay (focused on Wolf Link, not the new ones):

• Like Like x 1
    #70 GWOtaku, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Link's green tunic even has the sleeveless design of the classic games. I wonder if Zelda will have her red dress again.

12. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I really don't like that "keeping balance in the Triforce" explanation for why Link couldn't be female. This isn't Star Wars, things aren't going to break down without balance. Besides, triangles come in threes and male/female is a binary. Link could always be nonbinary; or they could embrace the androgynous look they went with in this installment and just not use any gender pronouns in the script. It's not that hard (young one, hero, my child are all neutral), and it lets the player decide. Think how many little girls playing video games would go nuts with a character they could relate to.

Complaints aside, it does look like an exciting game. I'm thinking they're going for ties to Link to the Past's timeline, I've been thinking that ever since I saw the apples (you could eat those back then, remember?)

And I'm calling that old man has something to do with Ganondorf. ;)

13. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

"Breath of the Wild" sounds like an odd title. Maybe it's mostly the "breath" part.

This week, from Tuesday to Saturday, The Nintendo NY store in Manhattan is giving people an opportunity to play sample demos of the game this week. I was one of those people, and I got to try it out this morning. The controls seemed simple enough, and for those of you who don't think the graphics look too impressive, I think it might help if you saw them in person. When I first saw the game in action, I thought the graphics were like that of The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword combined.

There are two parts to the demo, and the whole thing goes on for about an hour. I just realized that it would have been nice if one of the demos was in a dungeon.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

More Breath of the Wild video from Nintendo Japan. Two new trailers, and incredible video of the weather and the day / night cycle in the game that's cycling on the updated Japanese website.

15. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Any ideas yet about how this game will best be played, given the systems goofy controller setup? I'm thinking it might benefit from the standalone "pro" type controller or the snapped together controllers. When I played WWHD and TPHD I usually did so on the gamepad screen mode (because I'm lazy and like to lie in bed with the TV off), and the big WiiU gamepad is a little big to hold. Granted, we don't know what the weight of the switch is going to be. But a big game like this a) that's a handful, and b) you're not going to want to worry about a screen eating away battery life (it's got to be a massive drain).

Plus, we really don't want to hear "Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are getting low" again, do we? ;)

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Aonuma claimed at E3 that with either version of Breath of the Wild "The users will be able to have the same experience with the NX version as they will with the Wii U version," while by the accounting of Nintendolife the gamepad's touch screen was "redundant" and the game leans on "physical imputs".

There were some aspects where you could move the gamepad to aim and move things with some of Link's tools, like with the magic magnet. Which is a fine gimmick, but nothing that couldn't be handled with traditional controls.

In short, yeah, I think traditional controls will do fine.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

A new trailer from The Game Awards tonight. Villages, scenery, dogs (yay!), foes and ruins.....and, odds are, our first glimpse of Breath of the Wild's Zelda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    #77 GWOtaku, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Hey, new footage, with a girl who might be Zelda in it. Will it turn out to be a "hey sorry, we're delaying until June" placation? Better freaking not be.

I'm getting "Link already knows Zelda" vibes from the screenshots, as in Skyward Sword. That's not exactly the kind of plot I like. It was cute in Minish Cap, because they were little kids (I mean little little kids), but SS was a little too shippy. And I write zelda fic.

Edit: I still think they goofed up this game by not allowing a playable female Link. Could they fix that with a playable Zelda? Yes. But they're not going to, because some of us remember what the CD-i is.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Seriously, just.......oh my God. So beautiful. And I think I'll come to love the addition of voice acting.

20. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Ehhh, I'm not a big voice acting fan, especially for a game that has traditionally had a silent protagonist. But I'll wait and see. Plus, was that one woman a Gerudo?

(And Zelda's voice is a little deeper than I imagined it would be, assuming that was her we heard lamenting.)