1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U] Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - Talkback - Discussion of the Smash Broadcast Goes Here

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Whoo! All the characters I never wanted have been added!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Thoughts On The Direct (Spoilers on it but... at this point you should all know that already so I'm only having these spoiler tags up for like a couple of days or so.

- I admit I haven't really payed much attention to Fire Emblem Fates but Corrin does look interesting and I do like how with Robin we have another character with dual genders for more female diversity. And hey the whole dragon transformation appears like a really interesting gimmick. Does seem a little much to have so many Fire Emblem characters now but then again who can deny a chainsaw sword? Seriously even more then a dragon transformation that alone would make me want to play as Corrin.

- Man is Sakurai a troll to a good amount of fans. He really should of specified first off there was only one real ballot choice and yeah him saying only one could be reasonably picked when well there's a lot like Shovel Knight, King K Rool and Krystal among others who fall squarely into Nintendo's pocket and thus could easily of been picked. Of course that's nothing compared to the Geno costume which man.... that has got to be a serious troll choice to all the fans who have been requesting the guy for like better half of a decade. Maybe we'll see him in the next game but yeah sorry not to see him here though I do have to say I was surprised yet approve the final choice

- Yeah Bayonetta. I know she was really popular and that a lot of people wanted her in but I admit I always thought there'd be trouble considering her attitude and playstyle even more then Snake is rubbing her mature attitude in people's faces but I think they did a good job toning that down while keeping the character intact. Yes she doesn't get more naked while fighting but eh sans sexual appeal that was a limited gimmick anyway. Plus they were able to do a good job incoperating her specials and movements to make her feel like a really unique character so props if they're going to do one character they at least did her justice. And hey though she doesn't have the Bayonetta 2 Nintendo outfits (and that game at least gives her move of a technical reason to be here then Cloud) having the original and Bayonetta 2 look works well and hey it's a good note to go out on even if again sad it's the final note but hey I thought last year Mewtwo would be the only DLC so having an additional 6 and having four of them be fully original characters works well.

I'll be sure to pick up all the DLC stuff when it you know not only becomes all available but there isn't as feverious a demand for it honestly.

#1142 Neo Ultra Mike, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Lol. That's how I feel, too... Not a single one of these last three characters is anyone I wanted, or really heard of very many people wanting.

Thankfully, I had taken down my hype quite a bit in the last months.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

What were the ones you were hoping for? Bayonetta was on my list.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I was Team Shantae on my ballot, but Cloud and Bayonetta make sense on the roster and obviously got a lot of votes. The people have spoken! I'm a bit curious about the rate Cloud's limit break meter fills up compared to Little Mac's KO punch gimmick. The new stages seem imaginative as well.

I like how Sakurai closed things out talking about stats for stuff in the game and how they made the DLC from scratch. Really, step back and look at the broad range of stuff in the game and the roster. It's a lot of work and effort, and I think some bragging rights were definitely earned.

As for Corrin, I'm a hopeless Fire Emblem fanboy and proud of it so naturally I approve. Like Robin, he / she seems more complicated than "just another swordfighter". And Fire Emblem is awesome and crammed full of people worthy for a fighter, so there. SUPER FIRE EMBLEM BROS

• Like Like x 1
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Did we really need another Fire Emblem character? Especially a swordsman? It makes the roster seem redundant.

For the record,I would have been for Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back, because they actually play differently from the other Pokemon fighters. Also, Pokemon actually deserves to have that many fighters.

I now have a sneaking suspicion that Wolf, the Ice Climbers, Inkling, etc. are being reserved for the almost certaintly forthcoming NX version of this game.

7. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

To be fair, Corrin's moveset is mostly based around becoming a dragon more than it is based around that chainsaw/sword thing he's holding.

I'll be honest, I was disappointed at first when the Ballot character wasn't anyone who I had voted for, but I like who we wound up getting (both from the DLC and over-all). I'd have to say that Corrin is my favorite character out of the three new characters. (Mostly because I like Fire Emblem, and his moveset looks really cool. THIS GUY CAN TURN HIMSELF INTO A DRAGON FOR CRAP'S SAKE.)

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah, having looked at the Corrin demonstration again, I really wouldn't categorize him / her as being just another sword user. Marth, Ike, Lucina, Roy, sure. These are all about some degree of finesse up close. Corrin's abilities, on the other hand, make him / her look like the keepaway character from hell from an opponent's perspective. I think you could argue Corrin's as different from the rest as Robin, if not more so.

In any event, it's all good. Smash has lots of sword people because swords are awesome. Do not question it!

I caved and got Cloud + Midgar and the Mario Maker stage. Midgar has the two FF VII battle tracks and that's it, but it's still nice. Mario Maker has the classic themes from all the classic platformers, even the U.S. Super Mario Bros 2. Niiiiice.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

What I love about Corrin is that he feels so different from all the other FE characters. Unlike Lucina, who felt like a Marth clone.

As for Bayonetta, I'm pretty excited. I never played her games, but her moveset looks really cool visually.

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

11. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well that's because Lucina IS a Marth clone because originally she was intended to simply be a palette swap of Marth. You know like Alph and the Koopa kids are palette swaps of Captain Olimar and Bowser Jr. However, they added enough details to her design and Sakurai wanted to make her playstyle a bit more "newbie" friendly so like with Doctor Mario and Dark Pit (also were intended just to be palette swaps in this game) she became her own character, albeit a copy. Though to be fair that means Smash 4 was the first real smash came with new characters introduced not intended to be clones of someone else at all. As yeah all the other new comers are incredibly distinct.

Sans Goku of DBZ I do have to wonder who else was considered for this game that wound up up losing in the US Fighter ballot. I know they said Bayonetta was top 5 so that means she was... 5 so there had to have been 4 others so who else was highly voted for that wouldn't of made sense at all?

12. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Speaking of the Upcoming DLC release of Bayonetta.. Well HEre's a little known bit of news, even though it hit the papers today..

Seems that if Nintendo didn't tone Bayonetta down a bit, well, they would have gotten SSB an "A" Rating i Japan. and I'm not talking top of the line stuff.. I'm talking A as in Adult..

That's right Nintendo had to tone down Bayonetta for her to be included in the game, and it's funny, that if this was say sShantae from Way Forward, well she might have gotten the game at least almost to that same level but unlikely..

Of course Gold Guy you've neve rPlayed Bayonetta or Bayonetta 2? Well let's jsut say that those games ou want the highest rating? Heck in America Bayonetta would still give SSB an M rating and thus you'd cut out at least 90% of the gamers out there.. After all Bayonetta and it's sequel Bayonetta 2 are both Rated M, according to the ERSB, . and that's thesecond to highest rating the ESRB can give.. The only one higher is in fact the AO rating..

But Japan is in ract a lot more stringent when it comes to game.. Show as much as a nipple out of place and it gests an "A(dult) Rating"

I mean Japan and the culture there, are in fact so shy of showing stuff (Especially the "Naughtier bits " so they censor them out, (Oh sure you can show the nipples, and the upper half of anyone, but the bottom half and you can get the censor blocks (And I bet already some game hacker out there is thinking of that patch that will take the game "Over the top".. I mean if they can do it with the SIms, and other games, SSB shouldn't be too much harder to do..

But some way, some how,, they got her by the censors.. how they did it I have no clue.. But it seems Sakurai gives us a bit of a clue as to why they had to tone her down.. after all you don't want some "Hormonally challenged 13 year old having fantasies of a woman who is a witch ( rather beautiful one i might add, complete with Glasses0, in some form of Body suit that is made out of her own hair..

But hey I would have settled for Shantae rather than Bayonetta.

Tucsoncoyote:coyote:

13. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

While the fact that Fire Emblem has more characters than Zelda rubs me the wrong way, I must admit Corrin looks interesting and the fact that he's a sword-user is more of an afterthought. Bayonetta's inclusion was surprising, I thought that her moveset would've kept her out. These weren't the characters I wanted, but there's always the next Smash (and there will be another, Sakurai or no Sakurai).

14. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

My jaw is on the floor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I may have to play as Luigi more often...