1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U] Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - Talkback - Discussion of the Smash Broadcast Goes Here

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I think they will only stick to characters that originate from video games. So I don't think we'll see Goku or Scrooge.

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It depends on the publishers and the creative team involved and how much they have the time/focus to put into making more DLC, especially expansive DLC like creating new characters from scratch. And honestly Sakurai has said several times he doesn't want to make like tons and tons of DLC characters for this game. Then again I don't think he wanted to make ANY DLC for Smash Brothers at all but saw all the backlash fans had when Mewtwo wasn't included in and decided he'd be the one just for the people who bought both versions of the game... but that opened the flood gates likely with the increase sales in both versions of the games so likely more pressure was put on him for additional characters. But again there's only so much pressure and someone can be twisted to do something for a subject they're not quite as interested in anymore.

The problem is they didn't specify that in the original Smash Brothers ballot vote. Ergo people who voted for Goku would have those votes counted and if this is a total popularity poll based on what fans put in, there is that chance. Especially with the reveal of Cloud Nintendo can make these sort of deals with companies you think wouldn't play ball with their properties in such a way.

3. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I know (perhaps I should have put a cheeky emoticon). Also, Sakurai is not most people, and considering the usual 5+ years in between Smash games, I don't think he wants to be stuck working with one game for that long.

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Actually, they DID specify "Video game character" in the ballot.

And let's be fair. In this context, Goku is not a "Video game character".

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that settles that.
    Since I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, I actually would've preferred Sora from Kingdom Hearts over him.
    Still when it comes to video game characters, all bets are off.
    I'm still hoping a Digimon character will be in this. Namco BANDAI are involved in development after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

Yeah, definitely would have rather seen Sora, too. He has quite a bit more presence on Nintendo systems with Chain of Memories, RE:Coded and Dream Drop Distance.

Still... The sour feeling toward Cloud would still be there with Sora, as KHIII will not be on the Wii U, either. It's like "You've abandoned Nintendo, you shouldn't be here".

There are sooo many great first party characters to add, Cloud is just strange. Although I suppose our first third party character - Snake - was a very odd choice, too. lol

I just didn't think they'd use DLC slots for third party characters...

7. Scrappy-Fan92

I'd love to see a Digimon too, but I feel as though that's got a better chance of happening in Pokken Tournament.

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Yeah but they didn't specify as much as they should of. They didn't say "characters that originated only from video games" or "known specifically from video games" just that they had to have video games about them. Trust me people who vote Goku use the "he was in video games so he should count" and I guess that could mean nothing, but with how Sakurai has been known to troll he could count them. Guess we won't know per se until next month though.

Well to be fair Snake was picked because his creator Hideo Kojimina really wanted him in Smash Brothers and was in talks to have him in Melee but it was too late at that point to really have in that game so that's why he was one of the first characters made for Brawl. I think these third party DLC slot could be something like that too. Either asked by the company to be put in the game or maybe Nintendo wanted to expand their viewer base with characters people want who wouldn't otherwise play Smash or something.

9. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Yo by that logic Shrek is also a viable candidate. Heck, why not Dora the Explorer? Or Cristiano Ronaldo? Kim Kardashian too why not. Add in Alex Trebek.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I think the reason why Squeenix decided to jump on Smash Bros. during the DLC period is because they can keep track on how much the Cloud DLC sells and therefore it's easier to strike a deal on how much of the profit is split between Nintendo and SE. SE also doesn't have to do much outside of signing some papers and lending a couple of their devs to supervise the development process, so this is very easy money for them. Also, Cloud amiibo means even more easy money because you know the Cloud fans are going to be all over that.

I do think this situation means 3rd Party characters have a much better chance in general of being in. I'll say Rayman particularly seems like a solid bet now, considering Ubisoft has done teamed exclusive content with Nintendo before (Just Dance 3, Rayman Legends), Rayman is very prominent on Nintendo systems, and there are Rayman trophies in Smash already. I'll say Shantae has a pretty good chance too if only because WayForward really wants her to be in, even if she's nowhere near as popular as other 3rd Parties.

Heck, even Banjo-Kazooie seems possible now. After Phil Spencer's comments and the Windows Logo costume found in Super Mario Maker, I wouldn't rule them out.

However, since they do seem to be using DLC to bring in super popular characters that bring new stuff to the table, I do think it lowers the chances of most 1st Party characters. Everything retro (like Takamaru or Mach Rider) can possibly be ruled out, as well as supporting characters from series with already enough reps (Zelda, Donkey Kong). Not expecting stuff from niche series either (Golden Sun, Advance Wars). The only 1st Party newcomer that I think has a pretty solid chance of being in now is the Inkling, given the massive popularity Splatoon has right now, and it matches with the upcoming Smash + Splatoon Wii U bundle.

But who knows? We were certainly surprised with Cloud, maybe Sakurai can surprise us even more?

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if we'll get another Sega character. If it's from Sonic the Hedgehog, it should be either Tails or Dr. Eggman. Otherwise, I'm rooting for AiAi from Super Monkey Ball. It was my first Gamecube game and it's a lot of fun!

I still can't believe Starfy is just an Assist Trophy, the character's had five games from 2002-2009. I remember watching ads for the game when it came out in Japan, and I thought he was pretty popular enough to be made playable.

I wonder....since the dev team are worried about keeping the game balance, will that have effect on how many DLC characters are available. I mean I'm sure not everyone's going to buy every character, so how many characters can one add before the game is broken? Should it even be a concern when DLCs are optional?

12. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

If we can't get Snake back, then how about Simon Belmont for the Konami rep? Hell if he were to get in, we'd have all three of the main characters from the Captain N cartoon that were from video games.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Konami also owns Hudson's IP in addition to their own. Bomberman would be only too appropriate considering his long Nintendo history. Bonk would also be cool to have to complete the 16-bit mascot trifecta.

Speaking of which, Square Enix owns Taito's IP library, too. If they get a second rep, Bub the dragon (from Bubble Bobble) would be a better "retro" choice than any of the ones Nintendo has left.

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Could this mean we'll be at the last round of updates for the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Neo Ultra Mike

I'm pretty sure we are Dudley. I know Sakurai didn't want to work on this game forever (like I pointed out before originally Mewtwo was going to be the ONLY DLC character but likely sales of both versions spiking because of it and Ambio's taking off changed that) and that there were only going to be a few choices from the Smash Poll selected to be characters. So we'll likely see an update of that next week of when they're going to try having them out and probably like little mini trailers on them since if they aren't going to have any more visual updates like this they aren't going to have full on trailers for this guy.

But yeah exiting news. Hopefully won't be working as this like the Smash 50 update now that I know is coming want to see as live as I possibly can and judge for myself before watching the like dozens upon dozens of reaction videos to this news.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

My guess is we'll hear about every other DLC fighter they have planned. It would make sense, the game has been getting extra stuff for awhile now. At some point it's time to call it a day.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I gotta admire Nintendo, then. Any other company would just keep adding more DLC, until the new installment comes, regardless if someone "didn't want to work on the game forever".

19. Scrappy-Fan92

To be fair to those other companies, most game sequels don't have 6-7 year gaps.
    I don't think this Special Broadcast will be the last we hear of Smash Bros. news, I think it'll just be the last Smash-centric video we get. So I think we're just getting more news on Cloud and the Midgar stage (confirmed), some Mii Fighter costumes, some returning stages, and at least one, probably two more characters revealed this month.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Filled this in on a whim in reply to a Zelda Universe tweet. I actually do think half the stuff (at least) related to content is realistic...including no Ice Climbers for me. Well, there's always Brawl.

(with apologies to Golden Sun and Snake fans. The original is here if you want to play along)

[​IMG]

#1140 GWOtaku, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015