1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker - Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Peter Paltridge, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It was Shulk -- it's hard to tell. I finally found his amiibo, and the first thing I did was make that level with it after I noticed how often he yelled.

2. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Hey everyone. I've had a number of courses online for a while now, but haven't shared them with any forums until now. I'll go ahead and list all ten.

Practice
    DE72-0000-004E-91A0

My first level, slightly modified from the first test course the game has you make. It's simple, and for some reason is my most popular.

Practice 2
    4B1C-0000-004E-9405

My second level. A bit trickier, because I experimented with a few different obstacles. But shouldn't be a problem for most of you.

Underground Danger
    ADB2-0000-004E-95F6

My first "true" level. Still designing with limited components at this point. This was my first level to incorporate more than one "path" to get to the goal.

My First Castle
    D369-0000-0063-C2EE

It's literally my first castle stage. Fairly challenging.

My First Airship
    2051-0000-0069-E44F

It's literally my first airship stage. Was super excited when I unlocked the SMB3 and airship components. Also my first auto-scrolling level, as an airship should be. Gotta jump on fast! Another level with more than one path.

My First Ghost House
    F1AA-0000-006C-6733

It's literally my first ghost house stage. As a ghost house typically is, not everything is as straightforward as it seems.

Castle Hastle
    BCA9-0000-0073-AC3B

I upped the difficulty on this castle level. Gotta be quick on your feet. Sometimes, you gotta know when to fight, and when to run....

Find the "Key"
    4841-0000-0078-07B9

Key is in parenthesis. Can't move on without it....

Blasting Through
    3D10-0000-007D-BF6D

We're now entering the golden age of G1Ravage. I started building this level, and just kept going and going and going. This is another level with more than one way of tackling it, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

It's the Journey....
    E144-0000-008A-24C8

My tenth and final level for now. It ain't over till it's over. As always, multiple paths exist, and some are more trouble than others....

#42 G1Ravage, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

^ Most of those are pretty challenging. Well-done!

Unforunately, it doesn't look like I'll be getting to 50 stars anytime soon unless the Mario Maker server decides to randomly select mine for the Courses tab (and thus, gain more exposure). Which means I'm stuck at a max of ten course uploads. And that's no good, 'cause I've made some more and want to share them! So I've had to delete a couple to make room for the new ones, and if I ever do get to 50 stars I'll re-upload them.

ANYWAY, the new course is called "Tight Jams": F904-0000-00B5-E655. Mario World themed. Enjoy!

4. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

Created my second level which started as a daytime SMB1 level and evolved into a SMB3 level. See if you can find the hidden 1UP.

Koopa Troopa Tactics: B2B6-0000-00B4-322D

If you're stumped at the ending,

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

New Update coming 11/4:

1.- Checkpoints. When building the level you can also start from the checkpoint and beat the level from there. When uploading, it seems you can continue from the checkpoint and the level will count as beaten.
    2.- You can now combine the Mushroom and Fire Flower so you get a Mushroom if you're Small Mario or a Fire Flower if you're Super Mario.
    3.- You can now play the Gnat Attack mini game from Mario Paint.
    4.- Levels designed by official Nintendo devs now have their own category.
    5.- Event levels will also be available to play for certain periods of time.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"You can now play the Gnat Attack mini game from Mario Paint."

Technically you could already, but it's hidden. And unfortunately it looks like the minigame will still be hidden in the update. It would be nice to be able to open it from the main menu.

In other SMM news, anyone remember the obscure NEC/Sharp X1 game Super Mario Bros. Special by Hudson? Somebody re-created the whole game in SMM . I played through every level last night and it was pretty nifty and fun. Normally I'm not a big fan of users just re-creating levels 1:1, but considering how rare this game was to non-Japanese players, it's not as overdone to remake it as, say, level 1-1 of SMB1.

#46 SB20xx, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

If there could be DLC that included new environments skins, enemies or items, what would you guys like to see? What I'd love to see are:

Environments
    Dark overworld (SMB)
    Desert theme (SMB3 and Wii U)
    Forest of Illusion theme (SMW)
    Ice Theme (Wii U)

Enemies
    Pokey
    Fire Chomp
    Boom Boom
    Dino-Rhino
    Mecha-Koopas
    Blue and Yellow Koopas (and corresponding powers for Yoshi)

Items
    Frog Suit
    Hammer Brother Suit
    Yoshi Coin
    Star Coin (I think the idea of giving certain levels more purpose by encouraging players to go on scavenger suits for the coin items would be neat)

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Boomerang and Fire Bros for sure, just to have every type of Koopa around. Also, there were these nifty lifts in Mario 3 that would change the direction they move as you jump on them. That'd be a great way to engineer some calculated platforming.

Mario World had those giant spiked logs that would smash all the way across the screen. Those would be awesome for castle themes.

Oh, and Koopalings. Bowser Jr is fine, but there's enough to the others for some interesting boss battle combinations.

#48 GWOtaku, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Checkpoints? Yes, please! I was missing those.

I second the moving lifts that change direction - even if I just know that some people will use them for evil. :p

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

One of my courses was removed from the community yesterday. I assume it was due to inactivity/no stars, but dang, it was only up for a couple weeks! I guess people didn't like bouncy Bowser. Anyway, I uploaded a new one in its place: The Endless? Staircase: 8E50-0000-00D1-3D7F

In some future update, Nintendo really needs to change their star system. If you just want to comment on a level without starring it, you should be able to. This is how we end up with obvious troll levels getting a ton of stars: People take the bait and criticize the levels, but that just drives up their star stats.

#50 SB20xx, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Adding to Mike's list, it'd be nice to get the background to Yoshi's Island 1 (the World stage Melee, Brawl and Smash Wii U's Yoshi's Island stage was based on). It's the first BG in the game, and iconic in its own right, so it's absence is weird.

And if they're open to music for DLC, getting the athletic themes for World and 3 would be nice.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

It's been a while, so thought I'd share some more of my uploaded courses:

-Ashley's Amazing Adventure!: 7117-0000-0176-3113 . "Woo-hoo."
    -Rosalina's Chilly Reception!: C681-0000-01DB-4F0D . As the name implies, it's an icy map. This was just uploaded tonight, so get it while it's hot! Or cold. Whatever.
    -Triple Bowser Espresso: 78E3-0000-0110-90B8 . Mario 3 map. "There's a world, going on, under-GROUUUUND!"
    -Underneath Ze Ocean Floor: 5603-0000-00E6-5225. Mario 3 map. Don't worry, it's not all water.

Re-uploads:
    -Bowser Has a Bouncy Personality!: 258D-0000-0119-B2A0. A re-upload, with a few tweaks. See if you can fly over the whole course- it can be done!
    -Bowser Jr. Was Sent to His Room!: 3E04-0000-00E5-393D. Mario 3 map. A tweak of a previous map I uploaded, I think this update works better. That koopa has a nasty temper problem.
    -Find Yoshi & The Alternate Route: 28EC-0000-00E5-3401. Mario World map. A re-upload of "Yoshi Makes This a Lot Easier".

Anybody else got any new ones to share?

#52 SB20xx, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I want to make an Ashley Adventure at some point. Working on a Mr. Saturn one.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

My airship's been stalled, but I want to get back in and finish it & I haven't given up on the idea of remixing non-obvious stages (nobody needs another 1-1 take from me, I'm guessing). They've added some things since I last worked on it, not the least of which being the clown car's capacity to shoot fireballs (!). I think it really does help to play the 100 Mario challenge and go out of your way to explore to get ideas. When I went on a binge one weekend day I think I had at least five or six "why didn't I think of that?" moments.

One thing I'm a bit divided on is the fact that my airship stage does not scroll, which I guess is "wrong" by Mario series standards. However, if I turned that on I'd have to rethink how my first part of the stage works. Should I just let it go? Part of the game is about making your own rules, I suppose. One compromise possibility is having it scroll above deck while the sublevel below deck is a "breather" part that doesn't.

This game could easily crowd out everything else if I let it. So good.

15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

After Prof. E. Gadd, the three original Pokémon starters, and Chitoge from Nisekoi, the next Mystery Mushroom costume is Barbara Bat from Band Brothers.

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Hey, I don't know how many people are still playing this game (the Switch is out, after all), but for those still interested, I made a couple new courses:

You Can Just WALK Over It?!: 6E8C-0000-033C-866C . As the name suggests, it's my tribute to both NES TMNT and the AVGN episode that spawned that quote. Now if only Mario Maker had overhead sections...

One Thing After Another!: A2AA-0000-033A-53F4 . No gimmick here, just a series of challenges.