1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker - Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Peter Paltridge, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The game's definitely worth a purchase. With over a million user maps, you won't run out of stuff to play anytime soon.

My newest: cave 1-up scavenger hunt (SMW-themed): 81E2-0000-0044-28F1
    bowser's man cave (SMB3-themed): D936-0000-0044-69A7

Am currently working on a castle-themed SMB3 map. With functioning pipes, finally! EDIT: And here it is: poor bowser, he can't get out!: 9896-0000-004C-86EE.

#21 SB20xx, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Hey, look whose still alive!!

I want to share the levels I've uploaded (under my wife's Wii U profile) so far. Feedback would be appreciated.

Lakitu for you (created by my wife)
    53D2-0000-0026-01E9

Double Path Drama
    D6AF-0000-0031-BA6C

Underground Throwback
    C012-0000-003A-55FA

Springtime!!!!!!
    BB9F-0000-003A-B04D

Leaps of Faith
    9AE4-0000-003F-A7B4

Let's go for a swim (created by my wife)
    6642-0000-003F-AC20

Ghost Pipe Boogie
    5614-0000-0044-64C9

Boom Goes Bob Omb
    2528-0000-0044-AFE9

You CAN Beat This...
    AA85-0000-0044-BA4A

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Here's my tenth level: "yoshi makes this a lot easier": BE9E-0000-0052-0E1F . I can't make any more until I get more star ratings. I really wish there was a higher upload limit.

Long time no talk!

Too easy, as with any level where you can hijack Lakitu's cloud and just fly over everything.

I enjoyed this one a lot. It felt like ever few steps there was a new challenge that kept me on my toes. Good job.

I'm generally not a fan of auto-scrolling levels, since you can't go as fast as you want, but this was OK.

As I said in the comments, I didn't like the start of the level, but once I got past those super thin platforms with sideways springs, I enjoyed it more.

Not bad, although requiring Kamek/Magikoopas to transform blocks is one of my least favorite aspects of SMW.

Better than her first level. Those slow-motion Thwomps and fireballs put a new twist on underwater levels (not a fan of underwater levels in general, though).

Probably my second favorite level. Side note: It's pretty nifty that Nintendo created a brand new Ghost House melody for SMB1 and 3 in the NES style.

Kinda one-note, but had some challenging parts.

I'm generally not a fan of "hidden blocks required to progress" levels, though at least the level wasn't long enough to wonder where the hidden blocks were.

Now that I've played the game for over a week, here's what I want to see in a future DLC:
    -Music: "Athletic" for SMB 3, World, and U. Really disappointing that it's not there.
    -Objects: Slopes! This really should be a no-brainer. Also those fences from SMW that allow you to switch between background and foreground would be nice.
    -Environments: How about the Van Gogh's Starry Night? If not that, at least Towers (U), Desert (SMB3), Night and Snow (SMB1), and Ice (SMB3 and U).
    -Games in general: SMB2. Oh how I would love to see this. Make it happen, Nintendo.

#23 SB20xx, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I have been a horrible slacker. I have made comments and left ratings on nobody's Mario levels simply because I've played nobody's Mario levels. But I've made notes, and this I shall fix tomorrow! In my defense, aside from lots of life stuff I've been occupied with trying to design a good airship level that feels authentic and makes good use of the subworld. The idea of it is to extend gameplay by having Mario infiltrate below deck to advance, with each section having some kind of challenge or theme to it. I like the idea of a stage that isn't hard so much as it is a marathon that you won't just rush through in 60 - 90 seconds.

I'm not sure what's next. Maybe Starman Gauntlet 2, or "March of the Giants" with serious thought put into it. I made the first one just to try out the creator, before I even realized exactly how long you could make a stage. I also like the idea of trying to "remix" some stages with a twist to make them feel at least somewhat fresh again. One candidate in mind is world 2-3 in Super Mario Bros 3, which is the one with block pyramids and secrets. There's no micro goomba hiding in a block in Mario Maker, but the Goomba in a shoe could be a substitute.

Also, this might be useful for creation along that line: http://www.nesmaps.com/ offers the layouts for stages in Super Mario Bros and Mario 3.

Oh, and I'll echo that I want some DLC for this. If nothing else, there are definitely some foes that I've been missing.

#24 GWOtaku, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

^ Thanks for playing my levels and commenting on a couple!

Anyway, this is somewhat off-topic but I thought it was worth sharing.

I used to dislike Super Mario 2 (Japan), but now the game has sort of grown on me. I think it's due to a combination of playing SMB1-World so many times that I'm really good at them, not playing SMB2J as much so I don't have every level memorized, and some of the user levels in this game which, frankly, make SMB2J seem easy by comparison.

Speaking of SMB2J: That's something else I want to see in a future DLC: Poison mushrooms.

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That is a surprise to hear they're not in the game. It would instantly add a major challenge factor to a lot of courses if they are used. When Nintendo USA was making their Super Mario Bros. 2, the idea of the poison mushroom seemed to disappear from the side scrolling Mario games entirely. I think the idea was that beginning players would have felt duped into running into one to become Super Mario, and then losing a life because of it, even though poison mushrooms obviously exist in the real world, so it's not that far fetched an idea.

Also, have you heard about the game having glitches? Nintendo is trying to patch them, but glitches were part of the NES and Super NES era, as things like that were how the "99 lives 1-up trick" came into existence, so I think they actually add to the experience.

7. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Is there any point to including 1-Ups in your levels?

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The 1-Ups are useful if the level is being played in "100 Mario Mode", as up to three 1-Ups can be used at the end of the level to replace any lives that you lost either here or in earlier levels.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

What does everyone think of these auto levels where you don't touch anything? At first, I thought they were pretty clever, but too many people have hopped the bandwagon and now I'm sick of them. Especially in 100 Mario mode where, each time one of these levels comes up, I go, "Oh great, another one".

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I think Mario Maker is a game and that spending a lot of time on things you don't actually play kind of defeats the point, but on the flip side there aren't *that* many and they take a lot of work and some are really neat. I ran into one stage that somehow simulates the Tetris music as you go through it. Now that's commitment. So it's fine, I just don't see myself spending more than 5 minutes on that stuff at a time.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Has anybody played through 100 Mario mode's Expert level? Wow was that an ordeal. I was down to 20 lives by the time it was over. Some of those expert levels just... weren't fun. I'm not a fan of kaizo-style levels, and many of them fell in that camp.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I tried it once and ran out on the very last stage. I got smacked with a barrage of stupidly hard levels too and apparently that's a common experience. Next time I'm going to be faster with writing off a thing and skipping along.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's my new level: The Flip Zone
    161D-0000-007D-631F

And here's a tip for Expert Mode: pause the game upon entry and check out how many people have played the level. If the number is close to zero, there's a chance it's actually an easy or automatic level that was misplaced in Expert due to lack of user data.

14. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

How does the level selection for the 10-Mario or 100-Mario challenge work?

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They divide those based on the percentage of players who have completed the level. If the rate of the completion is high, the level shows up in the Easy setting. If it's something like .003% it shows up in Expert.

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Haven't been able to play much, (mostly done 100 Mario Challenge) but here are a few levels I made.

Vertical SMB Castle: 0DF0-0000-001A-461F (Medium-Hard)

Autoscroll SMB3 Airship: DBFC-0000-001A-C2A1 (Hard)

SMB Platforming with Flying Bloopers: C34F-0000-005E-74C0 (Medium-Hard)

I'll play you guys' levels when I have the chance.

17. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Here's my tenth and last uploaded level, for now...

Do You Enjoy Wall Jumping? 27E5-0000-0062-DA61

Of the joke levels I've created, "Goomba Avalanche" so far is my favorite. A starman immediately drops on you, after which a TON of Goombas and 1-Up mushrooms fall from the sky, shoot off a fast conveyor belt and shower onto Mario like crazy, maxing out the lives within five seconds. Never felt the Wii U tablet rumble as violently.

18. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

Finally uploaded my first level: 5278-0000-0084-D7ED

Aside from hidden coin and 1UP blocks (try to find all 7), I also added something you won't see in many courses:

19. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

9BD6-0000-00A4-8A64

This is another "joke" level. Sharing the title would spoil the full experience.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

At the risk of sounding out of it, who was the character in that level?