1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker - Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Peter Paltridge, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The day has come....let's make some Mario, everybody.

I was going to pick it up at Gamestop, but then I thought "why support Gamestop" and went to the Target next to it instead. Here's something I didn't know: if you buy Super Mario Maker from Target, they give you something else for free: a Super Mario Maker Rubik's Cube. It comes solved, so you can just tell people you solved it.

Impressions?

2. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Can't wait to pick this up.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I've got my updates installing now. Apparently a day one patch sets up things so more assets unlock for use every 15 minutes. Prior to release the system was that everything unlocked over ten days, which had mixed reception at best and was pointless anyhow since you could game it by turning the system clock forward.

In case you haven't heard, Amiibo unlock 8-bit-esque costumes for use and you can engineer super mushrooms that turn you into that character for your courses. Clearing the 100 Mario challenge can apparently earn you these without having to collect them.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

My first uploaded Mario Maker level is "March of the Giants!", Course ID 6E3D-0000-001C-03E8. Made with just the starting stuff and it's not complicated, but rush and you're probably dead. ;)

That stuff about new assets every few minutes turned out to be nonsense. In fact, no one seems to have a clear idea of what the new criteria even is. Some think it has to do with how much you're using the editor, but I just spent some time on my level and I'm still waiting. I did get a message early on to check back Saturday. At least some seem to have more than I do already though. Weird.

It's all good. There is tons to do even if you just play stuff. 10 Mario challenge is good quick fun and gets a bunch of levels into your coursebot to mess around with as you please. The easy 100 Mario challenge is about as long (8 stages, some of which will be short), so that's a really good way to unlock those costume power-ups. The big one I still need to get to.

It's worth checking out who the top ranked creators are and what they've made (viewable in the "Makers" section of course world). Ultimate Bowser Castle by Nimoru is excellent. Course ID 1323-0000-0018-51E1. The clear rate is under 2% and I died a few times, but it's not that horrible. Just gotta feel things out and use your noggin.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I was right to finish all the work and chores before I first put the disc in. It sat there for hours but once I turned this game on, it was nearly impossible to stop playing it.

I haven't uploaded anything yet because I don't have enough tools to make anything I have in mind. I did make "Sprint of Metamorphosis," which was simply one long track with nothing but Mystery Mushrooms on it. It's fun but too simple.

6. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Maybe if the game gets successful, Nintendo would make a version of the game for Nintendo 3DS. Miyamoto-san would probably call it "Super Mario Maker 3D".

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

For what it's worth, here's my first course: Claustrophobia and Acrophobia: D4B8-0000-0027-7834.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So during today I did unlock my next set, which the game decided to call an early delivery. Tomorrow I'll get the Castle setup for sure. What triggers early delivery is apparently using the newest stuff you get and using the level editor a whole lot in terms of placing objects.

Speaking of which, after a lot of trial and error I uploaded a second course centered around endless invincibility but with a number of things to slow you down. I think I put in enough leeway for it to be not sadistic, but you'll all be the judges of that. ;) I called it "Starman Gauntlet", course ID 6B59-0000-0029-2F8D.

Don't forget you can shake almost any object to alter it somehow. So many possibilities.

Brace yourself for "expert" mode in 100 Mario challenge. This is definitely where the evil creations go.

I want to play everyone's stuff so do share...at some point I'll go over some favorites among what I've starred. Definitely seen some clever ones.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Here's another one by me: "ignore the first block. serious": B8BA-0000-002F-0E29. As the name implies, the start of the level is much easier if you ignore the first block.

...Yeah, this game looks like it'll have a high replay value. :)

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Two more for now (waiting until I get the SMB3 and SMW tools until I make any more):

more bottomless pits! lovely.: 2FA2-0000-002F-A315
    nature: hazardous to your health: 85F1-0000-0031-6359

Don't be shy, share some of your courses! I've already played both of Todd's.

11. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

Definitely died more than a few times until I found a "shortcut". Good job.

Is there a way that get rid of the comments within that second level? It makes the level worse than it should be.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Pause the game, then click on the "Comments" until it displays an X. I disabled mine pretty quickly. Some levels have so many comments they practically cover the screen!

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Hangin' With Mr. Koopa
    E3B0-0000-003B-800D

This one's more of a joke than a level; just watch and observe
    E7A1-0000-003A-FA29

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

If there was a Nintendo 3DS version, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have "3D" as part of the name...unless it was going to be based on Super Mario 3D Land/World (which I doubt it would be)...

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

You're a funny guy, Peter.

My two newest:
    -castle of curse words: C197-0000-0039-B0F4
    -mario, tear down this wall! (my first SMB 3 map): 2ABE-0000-003F-D118

Currently working on my first SMW map. When do you get the ability to make Mario go down pipes? I don't believe I have that tool yet.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I don't have them yet either. Subworlds are definitely of interest to me too. FWIW, while it's not the same you could probably simulate this with doors and then replace them with pipes when the option is unlocked.

Currently trying to conceive of a stage on the top speed side scrolling that wouldn't just drive people insane. For now I think I'll experiment with something that plays out entirely on a moving platform.

17. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

You do realize, Dr. Daedalus, that they're probably going to reject anything that even references swearing, right?...

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

19. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Whoa, that was insane.

I've been reluctant to get the game because I'm not big into level editing, but the sheer volume of content and stuff you can do with it is making it hard to resist. Besides, I can always play other people's levels if I'm too lazy or don't feel inspired to create my own. Seeing stuff like that video makes me want to nab that thing as soon as I'm capable.

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Here's my newest level:

EVERYBODY GETS A CAAAAAAR
    BB55-0000-0049-3FA0