1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii U]Star Fox Zero (Pre-Release & Discussions)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 16, 2015.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Fox is back in all new adventure. Game will launch later this year.
    [​IMG]

2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I like the logo, but I'm not fond of the fact that this seems to be another retread of Star Fox 1.

3. River26

Not the first Star Fox. But rather uses elements from 64.

Remember the all-out mode? Where you get to fly 360 degrees around the enemy?

4. Scrappy-Fan92

I was under the impression that Star Fox 64 was a pseudo-reboot/remake of the original. I don't doubt that Nintendo's got new stuff planned for this game (transforming Arwing was cool), but I wish we could've gotten a proper follow-up to Assault and Command. This still was probably the best part of Nintendo's Digital Event.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I believe it was last year that the said the game would be a "reimagining" of some kind. What did surprise me was the name. Still, I do understand what they were going for, though. "Zero" is meant to reflect the fact that this a reimagining/reboot of the series. In any case, it looks really fun to play, and I can't wait for it to come out. That said, I do hope that it gets an E or E10 rating, which I'm pretty sure it will.

As for a "proper follow up" to Assault or Command, let's face it, Assault was a train wreck in the long run. It was the result of a compromise stemming from creative differences between Namco (pre-merger) and Nintendo. Oh sure, it was playable, but still. As for Command, I think the multiple endings were meant to insure that what happens next is really up to the player's interpretation, and thus that no sequels to that can be made, lest people object that their "preferred" ending wasn't used. Well, that's how I see it, anyway, so don't quote me on that. In any case, I think starting over (one way or the other) was the right thing to do for this franchise. I personally wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar for F-Zero...

Oh yeah, River26, that's "All-'Range' Mode", actually.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

6. Scrappy-Fan92

Can you elaborate? I'm aware Assault's land combat wasn't popular (although I've never played any Star Fox games), but I haven't heard of any story issues that would be hard to circumvent without a reboot.

7. Mandouga

It wasn't a question of story or gameplay, it was a question of direction. Now, this is just speculation on my part, but from what I've played, it seemed to me that Namco wanted to do a game where there would be an initial set of objectives, but then those objectives might be changed or there might be some new objectives added at some points, but most of the time it was really just one objective, or one defined set of objectives. Also, I'm not completely certain, but I think...repeat, I THINK Namco may have wanted to prioritize on-foot missions, since there seemed to be quite a number of them. In any case:

That kind of makes your own point moot. Just saying.

8. River26

I dunno if they brought in the landmaster for this new game. But it seems they brought a new mechanism which allows u to transform into a Arwing down to a robot with human movements.

Hopping
    Hovering (for a few seconds).

But I suspect we may the Landmaster or the Aquas submarine during the full game.

9. Mandouga

They did show the Landmaster. Not only that, but it can also transform.

10. River26

Yep, with that familiar sand dunes planet from 64; Titania.

Seems the player and Slippy are brought into this mission.

11. Scrappy-Fan92

I don't play Star Fox, but I don't think Nintendo really has to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I just find it surreal for Nintendo to outright sidestep previously established continuity, is all.

12. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Some elements are apparently being adapted from the technically unreleased Star Fox 2.

I'm glad Mike West is returning to voice Fox again. I just pray the direction is better than 3D and Smash.

13. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

The new Star Fox looks great. Good thing its coming out this year.

14. SNS

SNS "I am..."

Yeah, I recognized the walker and locations right away from the videos of Star Fox 2 I have seen before. Since Star Fox 2 was finished, I hope they release it on the Virtual Console in the months before this game is released.

15. Mandouga

If those rumors about legal problems with the Super FX chip are true however, then we may not be getting any Super FX games* for some time, let alone unreleased ones (i.e., like Star Fox 2)...

*Especially the original Star Fox and Yoshi's island (GBA port notwithstanding).

16. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

So, SFZ is not coming out in 2015 anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/NintendoConsoleGaming/posts/897445373656670

On the one hand, the game will get some much needed spit-polish. On the other hand, The Wii U doesn't have a big marquee new release for Black Friday anymore.

17. Scrappy-Fan92

Perhaps it's for the best. Most games would likely get steamrolled by Halo, Star Wars, and/or Call of Duty anyway. On the plus side, we now have two Miyamoto-related Wii U games coming out in 2016 (never thought I'd defend a delay before).

18. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

And now, here's the trailer for the actual "Star Fox Zero" video game: