Wii U Pre-Release News & Speculation

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Shawn Hopkins, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

An EA boss is referring to the Wii as a "legacy console." As in an older platform like the PS2 that has been replaced. Veddy interesting.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ea-hints-at-wii-2-says-wii-is-now-legacy-platform-/

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-hints-at-wii-2-says-wii-is-now-legacy-platform/

Speaking to IndustryGamers, EA Games label head Frank Gibeau hinted at the fact that Nintendo knows the situation and is working on another platform. "When you look at Nintendo, for a while there, it was all about the Wii being the biggest entertainment platform ever and capturing the mass market, and it faded away. Now, they’re coming back with a second act. I think they know that. They’re very self-aware as an organization and a very powerful brand," he said.

Interestingly, Gibeau also lumped the Wii into the same category as PS2 - a "legacy console." He continued, "They understand the dynamics and the fact that HD consoles is a booming part of business right now. Legacy platforms like PS2 and the Wii have dropped off significantly. They’re not stupid. They’re going to figure something out. They’re going to come back at it."

2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Besides HD, I don't see the immediate need for a second Wii. The majority of people who own one aren't dying to play Call of Duty or the like, and if they are, they use their other console or PC.

3. TacoHunter

TacoHunter Master of None

I disagree. Nintendo needs a storage solution. The 512MB flash memory just doesn't cut it. While the Wii supports loading off an SD memory card, the fact you have to dedicate some time to load it on to the main flash drive first is a problem.

And then there is the online infrastructure of the Wii. I was hoping Nintendo would start laying the road with the 3DS, but it still looks a bit questionable if that's going to happen.

And of course, like you said, more horse power. The price on hardware has dropped a lot. Nintendo could easily release a system of superior quality to either the PS3 and XB360 at a lower price then both now.

But those are only the obvious things to evolve the Wii. I'm sure Nintendo could pull out a few things from left field to make the Wii2 more of a revolution then an evolution.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Here's some fuel for the rumor fire:

Let's not forget old rumors about a "HD Wii" either (emphasis mine):

Obviously, the 3DS is one answer. But at this stage, it's practically unthinkable that there isn't something seriously far along in development to supercede the Wii at this point. Especially when we're about to have a handheld system with games that look as good as most Wii games, 3D feature or not. I can't believe that Nintendo would let their home console business play second fiddle for very long.

5. Shawn Hopkins

If they do unveil a new one, it will be very close to the conventional five-year cycle. Interesting, considering all the chatter about longer console life-spans we've heard in the last five years.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah. Thing is, all that chatter does seem reasonable and true--for HD consoles. The market shift of late was inevitable; we're now a bit used to the novelty of what the Wii offers and, most essentially, the HD market is significant to an extent that it wasn't when the Wii came out. Nintendo did a lot right with the Wii, but they weren't playing the long game with it. I think it'll turn out to be the last major console that's playing by the old rules, so to speak.

7. Azeke

Azeke New Member

Since this thread was posted, i kept looking for that hilarous webcomic where one guy keeps saying "Nintendo is dead unless it adds HD" year after year after year, with Iwata each time only laughing in response.

Couldn't find it. Instead google just gave me numerous announcements from analysts saying Wii should go HD this year for years 2008, 2009 and 2010, so i still had a good laugh anyway.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

It would only resemble the five-year cycle if it came out now. Wii 2 could only come out Holiday 2012 at the earliest.

And no, it wouldn't surprise me either, because N has a habit of updating its handhelds right before it updates its consoles. The GBA came out before the Gamecube, the DS before the Wii.

But the biggest indicator to me that Nintendo has something up its sleeve is how quiet they've been on Wii development lately. Aside from Skyward Sword, what's next? .....Nothing.

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

The DS came out two years before the Wii. Going by that we could expect a new Nintendo console in the Spring of 2013. That's still a long way to go, giving the Wii a 7 1/2 year lifespan.

I guess we'll see.

10. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

I agree that their lack of updates on the Wii is very suspicious. Other than Skyward Sword and Dragon Quest X, I can't think of a single big-name upcoming game. However, it is difficult to say whether this is because they are shifting focus to the N6/Wii2 or whether it's just Nintendo keeping quiet. In recent year's, they've been keeping their cards close to their chest, especially this time of year. With the 3DS launch at hand, they may be extra motivated to focus exclusively on the present line-up.

In the end, I think it's probably more a case that they are just waiting until after the 3DS launch to share more Wii news. After all, if they were planning a new system, they wouldn't drop everything for the current one until closer to the launch. With a pre-2012 launch extremely unlikely for anything other than a new SKU (which is a completely different conversation), we aren't close enough for a new system to affect development other than long-range planning and early development. I expect there to be lots of Wii news in the next quarter.

11. Shawn Hopkins

It has to happen some time. I posted the original article because it reminded me very strongly of when some game company officials, I think they were even EA officials, were talking very loosely that there was a PSP without UMD was coming. And everyone was like, "Oh no, that'll never happen." Right up until it did.

I think maybe the reason we're not hearing news of major first party Wii games is that the main teams are already working on games for Wii 2.

12. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

I think the main reason for the lack of announcements for major first-party titles is that they're saving those announcements for E3. Look, the big holiday 2010 first-party games were announced at E3 2010, and Skyward Sword will probably be a summer game to hold everyone over until the fall. Nintendo just holds off announcements until later so that we don't hear about all these games that get delayed like crazy, like what happened with the first round of first-party Wii games (Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Brawl, etc.). I'm sure we'll get several at E3 again.

Still, I've been suspecting a Wii 2 unveiling at this year's E3 and so this article just adds to my suspicion.

For the Wii 2, obviously HD (and 3D what with the 3DS and all) and a lot more horsepower would be the main additions. Obviously all the motion functionality will still be in the controller, and probably improved, but I still think it will be more...conventional. Since so many first-party titles just ended up using the sideways Wiimote configuration anyway, might as well make a controller better suited for that.

With the lifespan thing...well, the DS did have a longer lifespan than normal at 7 years. But then again a few different iterations came out along the way to stretch that out. I mean the original DS is long buried.

13. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

If Nintendo does to Skyward Sword what they did to Twilight Princess, I will be a sad panda.

14. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

If anyone needs to bring out a new console, it's Nintendo. The Wii is starting to show it's age, and I'm not talking graphics or HD. The flash memory is pathetic, the menu set-up is awkward and cumbersome, the entire interface of the console is terrible, contacting friends is more of a hassle than it needs to be, the online play is lacking, etc.

We're ready for a Wii 2.

15. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

[URL="http://kotaku.com/#%215688540/wii-2-is-not-a-must-for-late-2011[SIZE=3"]"After we've reached an installed base of 45 million here in the U.S., we can have a conversation about the next generation."[/URL] - Reggie Fils-Aime

Only 10 million more to go!

Serious question, who will support a Wii HD this late in the game? Unless it's as easy as a glove to port titles onto there won't be any reason. The install base will be at 0 compared to the 360's 52 million, and PS3's 48 million, and they will have to go out of their way to implement control schemes that really aren't relevant to the PS3 and 360. Why bother?

Better yet, who would buy a Wii HD? For the 360, it's having its record year in the US, and the PS3 is doing better year over year internationally. People already just bought an HD platform, and both already have waggle, and 3D. While the allure of Nintendo software is certainly huge, the N64 and Gamecube proved that if it's just Nintendo making software on a console that is no different than the competitors the platform will fail.

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

You know, considering how much Nintendo's been making stuff for the nostalgia crowd in the past year, I wouldn't be surprised if they call the next console the Super Wii.

17. Shawn Hopkins

I would buy a Wii 2. One of my disappointments of this console cycle is that the Nintendo games had to look like crap on my HDTV.

I wouldn't count on 3D. That has to be built into the television and we don't have a clear standard for that yet. Maybe support for 3D on certain 3D enabled sets like Sony does, but there's no solution where every game will be 3D.

18. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I'll take 8!

Wii 2, hmm. Well, I am a believer that this generation will go on for 2-3 more years for every console, and there is the fact that Nintendo is pretty tight lipped about their newest games, IIRC, the new info for Pokémon Black and White was released in just a few months before the game launched in their respective regions. So that is a recent example on how they tricked info for their big name games. So, I just think that Nintendo is being quiet about certain games. Their consoles are a given since they did deny the existence of a Lite and the DSi for quite a time, but I'm sure that was more for legal reasons. If there is a Wii 2, I will buy it, especially if they give us more memory space. HD is kind of an afterthought for Nintendo games for me.

19. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

The whole thing about the Wii "next step" to consider is that what Nintendo is doing is not really that strange. Since the Wii has been out hardcore gamers have constantly criticized the system for it's large amount of shovelware, the lack of HD, and lack or intense "realistic" titles. Well, what the heck are the PS3 and 360 for?!

But I digress, the criticisms are valid but we're ignoring that Nintendo just finished one the heaviest Holiday release seasons they have had since Mario Galaxy 1 came out. We got stuff like Metroid: Other M, Sonic Colors, DKC Returns, Epic Mickey, and Kirby's Epic Yarn. Then we got the new Pokemon generation on the DS, nevermind that I'm still recovering for the remake of Heart and Gold. THEN there's the whole 3DS deal with a slew of new titles, many that fans have been clamoring for for years (Kid Icarus). To me if their backing off their focus off of the Wii, that's normal. They still have a bunch of stuff on the horizon for everything else and I think it's perfectly okay for the Wii to take a breather this year. We're already getting a new Zelda and Kirby and I think that's good enough. They have already exploited Mario into the ground, Samus got her shout out, in other words Nintendo is doing what a typical Nintendo system does.

Those clamoring for an HD upgrade, it would be nice, but it's not really necessary to enjoy the system.

O-chan

20. Shawn Hopkins

Nintendo doesn't "take a breather." They're always working on something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.