1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WII] Punch-Out!! Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, May 18, 2009.

1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Now look out for Don Flamenco. He has a very varied arsenal of punches, so he's going to throw you off for a while before you beat him.

2. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I guess so. I mean the learning curve to beat Bald Bull to Macho Man was easy, then Mr. Sandman came and "RAAGE!!!" came out.

3. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

He was actually easy. I beat him in under an hour. All I had to do is dodge and duck. But Aryan is TOUGH. Like I tried to take my trainers advice and strike first but the guy is so cheap and fast it feels impossible to land the first hit. And even when I do, it's like one hit and he jumps back into place.

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Aran Ryan is very versatile. He's one of the hardest characters when you first reach him because he forces you to completely change tactics. The usual "dodge and combo" technique doesn't work on him, since the only way to combo him is to counter punch him. You just need to have quick reflexes.

They key is to punch him JUST as he starts moving towards you. Once you get the timing right, Aran is basically a walking punching bag.

5. Daxdiv

Wasn't sure where to post this, but if you obtained Platinum member for Club Nintendo before June 30th either here in America or Canada, you can get a Wii Ware game called "Doc Louis' Punch Out" in which you can fight Doc Louis himself.

6. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

do you get a freeeeee chocolate bar

7. K-S-O

K-S-O Secret Best Wii Game Ever

Well, that would explain why Doc Louis is always telling us to join Club Nintendo.

I only have about 300 coins at the moment so I don't think I will have enough before the deadline, even if I do register the games I haven't registered.

8. Daxdiv

You already missed the deadline anyway. Your deadline was June 30th of this year, the prizes were revealed this week. I think I mostly decided that I'll get the game over the hat. After all there is a chance that I can find the hat on eBay later down the line.

9. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Gee, they could have used that Doc Louis's Punch-Out as an unlockable/dl content for us proles who are not Club Nintendo members, but as usual Nintendo leaves us who don't out in the cold, and even then I shouldn't care really since it's just a trinket and that they're not planning any more characters as dlc to add on Punch-Out. :shrug:

10. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

I managed to beat Title Defense Mr. Sandman two days ago. He was a nightmare from the moment I took him on in practice to the final Star Punch I delivered to him in the 3rd round. Those blink and you miss it punches never failed to punish you if you miscalculated his moves.

Today, I went into Mac's Last Stand for the first time despite having lots of trouble with certain boxers, specifically Von Kaiser, Piston Hondo, and Bald Bull. My first opponent was Glass Joe, who I managed to beat simply by jabbing him throughout the match. Then I faced the secret character and was absolutely crushed in the first round. I stopped after that but I'm going to keep trying to beat him in Exhibition.

11. K-S-O

Attempting to beat the challenges are pretty fun for the most part, but the ones that give me frustration are the ones that require defeating or knocking down opponents in a certain amount of time. As a matter of fact those are the only type of challenges I need to complete before I finally have all of them.

I think I shall put the game down for a while. I played a ton of this game ever since I got it and had plenty of fun with it but I think I would like to play something else for now.

12. Daxdiv

Something that MT showed me earlier today Next Level Games expresses interest to make a sequel with even more features.

Personally I would like to see them work on it since Punch-Out!! is taking up a good amount of time whenever I play my Wii. Also the online components intrigue me, that is if they can do it right. As for Create a Boss and sharing it over the web, it sounds like an awesome idea to me.

13. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

A sequel would be epic. Online and create-a-boss sound like pure win.

I'm guessing they'll include the characters from Super Punch-Out, as well as some new ones and others from the first game.

14. Daxdiv

If they do get the greenlight from Nintendo I do question this

15. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

If they do a sequel I hope they keep it like MTPO and POW. I liked SPO but it was a bit too easy because of the fact that once you get the punch meter up the only way it'll go down is if you get hit. So if you're pretty good your opponent will be on the mat in no time. Plus you can hit your opponent anywhere and anytime and it'll go up, while in the other two games you'll have to hit them at a certain time and counter certain moves. That makes it more fun and challenging. Plus SPO only had one round. If time ran out you automacilly lost. And we need Little Mac and Doc to come back.

Here's what my roster would be for the sequel

Minor Circuit

Gabby Jay
    Piston Hurricane
    Bob Charlie
    Dragon Chan(Champ)

Major Circuit

Pizza Patsa
    Heike Kagero
    Texas Mac(From that arm wrestling game)
    Masked Muscle(Champ)

World Circuit

Narcis Prince
    New boxer(American female opponent)
    New boxer(Austrailian opponent)
    Mad Clown(Champ)

Special Circuit

New boxer(Puerto Rican female opponent)
    New boxer(Native American opponent)
    New boxer(Hawaiian opponent)
    Hoy Quarlow(Champ)

Secret Boxers

Mario
    Bowser
    Captain Falcon
    Doc Louis

16. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Personally, I see Wario as a perfect secret opponent for a sequel. He's a huge guy like King Hippo and Bear Hugger and he's notorious for his strength and his cheating ways. He'd be a great opponent to face off with.

As for my hopes for a sequel, I really only want a hub/overworld to expand on the Punch-Out world. Practice would return under a Gym feature that allows you to buy vitamins and special equipment if you have trouble in story mode. There should also be a place to create those bosses (locker room maybe?) and maybe interact with other boxers and fans outside the ring.

Of course they could also keep it simple as this one since they're bound to make it fun anyway.

17. K-S-O

Personally, I would rather not have characters from other Nintendo games show up as secret characters. Let Punch-Out be its own franchise without the need to crossover with other franchises. Donkey Kong was fine because that was referencing his cameo appearance in the arcade version.

The idea of creating your own boxer sounds really neat. If they could pull that off and allow trading them online, it could be pretty amazing.

Thinking back on it, I am pretty much glad they did not make Mario the referee. I cannot stand the voice acting in recent Mario games so hearing Mario say the lines that the current referee uses would really grate on me.