1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WII] Punch-Out!! Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, May 18, 2009.

1. K-S-O

K-S-O Secret Best Wii Game Ever

I got my copy on Friday and I have been playing the heck out of this game!

I already finished Contender and Title Defense and am now on Mac's Last Stand. I also got a few achievements in Exhibition not to mention using the mode for practice.

I also unlocked Championship mode and the secret character.

I think it's awesome how each fighter has their own version of the Punch-Out boxing theme as well as the victory music.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

FINALLY beat TD Bald Bull by decision thanks to avoiding knockdowns in the first two rounds. I got a bit lucky with button smashing on the bull rush, admittedly.

Never again, I'll tell you that. I was this close to returning the game to the store.

3. K-S-O

K-S-O Secret Best Wii Game Ever

Man, that secret character is tough. His pattern is not that tough in the beginning but after the first knockdown, his patterns become tough to predict. I also react too slowly when he does his side-punch.

I could still beat him by decision but I would like to work on giving the guy a TKO.

4. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well, after struggling with TD Bald Bull, I was able to beat him... by decision. I wasn't able to time his Bull Charge right so I had to dodge it instead of punching him to get another star that would result in his next KO.

Now time for TD Super Macho Man, I actually liked his opening cutscene, but I need to fine tune dodging one of his attacks.

5. jph139

jph139 Immortal

I'm still stuck on TD Soda Popinski. Tough stuff - sometimes it feels IMPOSSIBLE to dodge those punches. Never would have expected Ol' Rusky was actually the Flash.

6. Daxdiv

TBH, I thought that TD Soda Pop was easy, once I found his pattern out and was able to dodge his attacks. I was able to stack the attacks against him and take away his precious soda from him. Hell, I was able to land 15 consecutive punches on him in Career mode, now I just need to do it again in Exhibition mode.

As for my progress, I am at TD Mr. Sandman, or as I like to call him, Big Bubba. So far I found the way to beat him in Practice mode, I just need to implement that in our final fight for TD.

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Super-interesting stuff I found on GameFAQs:

**Imagines Bear Hugger doing the Bison voice**

YES... YES!

8. Daxdiv

Well, I did this earlier today, but I beat TD Mr. Sandman in the first round. I was so happy when I did it that I yelled and said take that Big Bubba. Now to go on to Mac Last Stand. Hope I can survive long enough to fight "Secret Character."

Also, those are some nice tidbits there Jave. I learned that Bear Hugger was voiced by the same guy that voiced Bison on YT. Nice to know the people behind the voices on this game, since they all have their unique charm.

9. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Bear Hugger and M. Bison have the same voice?

THIS IS DELICIOUS.

10. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

that explains why they both say "Mac baby"

#90 warnerbroman, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2009
  11. Perry

Perry Super... man

I'm having trouble with Von Kaiser on "Title Defense" mode. It's not that he's tough to beat, but I usually guess his signature move in the wrong direction. I've only tried taking him down twice, so maybe I'll get him on my third try. The game's really starting to get on my nerves lately, though. I hope I can complete the entire thing without breaking the disc out of fury.

12. Marvin Tikvah

Von Kaiser gave me a lot of trouble as well. All his punches are very similar, though not quick. It all depends on what he yells out before letting you have it.

I've actually reached Soda Popinski in TD mode and his punches are just insane. The guy gives you about a split second to react and getting hit by his special moves is no fun. Guess I'll be spending lots of time in practive for now.

13. Daxdiv

Well as of today, I am officially retired from the WVBA after losing to Super Macho Man, The Secret Character, and Mr. Sandman in Mac's Last Stand. Lucky me I was able to unlock the character to face in Exhibition mode, and unlock Champions modes, so it wasn't a total loss for me.

Looks like I'll be aiming for all those challenges now, they seem fun to do.

14. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

I'm late, but I just rented the game and now I'm very tempted to buy. I beat the minor circuit last night, and I'm still trying to beat Piston. The thing thats making it more challenging is I'm trying to exclusively use the balance board, which actually works very well.

I'm kinda mad the reviews made it seem like it was the worst thing ever, when it's only slightly annoying and is actually easy to use when you learn how to control your body and the pressure you apply. Much like real boxing, and much like how Wii-Fit tries to teach you to center your stance so you don't aply more preassure on one side than the other.

When I lean to the side the right way it's pretty dead on, when I center myself and crouch or duck I have no issues and throwing upper cuts and star punches always work for me.

But anyway, yeah, this game is awesome. I plan on buying it later in the year though because Wii Sports resort is coming out this month with Wii-Motion Plus and that's a must have.

15. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

I finally TKO'd Mr. Sandman in round 2 yesterday. I was very proud.

I got through the whole game using motion controls, though I don't have a balance board. I personally think it's a very enjoyable way to play, and also a good arm workout, even if it's less precise. Just makes you work a little harder toward the goal. I think the biggest precision problem is actually the analog stick sometimes reading the wrong direction, not the punching motions. Dodging is far more important; if you can get the dodges down, the actual punching is elementary.

16. Chris Sanders MSX

It took me almost 2 hours to finally beat Piston yesterday! I TKO'D him some how while swinging my arms in desperation. I had the upperhand and had landed some 2 starred punches, but he had beaten me in the past in the same scenario, so I freaked out and started swinging and got lucky.. :sweat:

Bear Hugger seems like he'd be easier but I haven't quite figured out how to stop him when he puts his foot up in the air. This game is fun, but yikes is it hard...especially sticking with the balance board.

My whole body is sore though. My body feels like I've been working out for hours, when truth is I've only been playing a videogame. AWESOME.

17. Chris Sanders MSX

GADZOOKS! How are you supposed to beat Great Tiger ? Flipping teleporting son of sammich !

I was pretty sore so I had to abandon my balance board tactic and it still feels hopeless. Ha, I doubt I'll ever use the balance board against this guy.

18. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

If you're having difficulty with the move where he "clones" himself, just keep this in mind: what might the real Tiger do that a false projection of himself wouldn't be able to do?

19. Marvin Tikvah

Why is it that Title Defense Super Macho Man was very easy?

Were they trying to throw me off sandwiching him between Bald Bull and Mr. Sandman?

20. Chris Sanders MSX

WOW that worked. I beat him. I had to learn to slow down my punching and actually watch him. When you slow yourself down he becomes easy to read. Then the trick is learning to move in the direction he's moving to dodge. Wow.