1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WII] Punch-Out!! Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, May 18, 2009.

1. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

Ok, I have never played a Punch-Out game up until now (just observing), and frankly...

...this game is fun! I'm only renting it so I won't have as much time to spend with it, but yes, it's fun. I just finished the Major Circuit, and my record is... well, 8-4? (Lost to Don Flamenco - twice, Bear Hugger, and Great Tiger). I finally won the Major by decision... but I am gonna go back and fight Don again. For some reason, winning with no ko feels cheap to me.

I had to get used to the controls - but that's what Glass Joe is for. :p

But there were many times that I got smacked because I dodged the wrong direction... and then I felt guilty about my ability to dodge because Little Mac had a big ol' lump on his head and looked so terrible. :(

I like how Mac's outfit changes colors as he wins the circuits.

Now I am gonna summon enough monies to buy this game. Glad I rented it.

2. Perry

Perry Super... man

With the rules of the Gamestop tournament being revealed, I just made the transition from using the Wiimote like a NES controller to the Nunchuk. Tough change, but I'll have to deal with it. I was progressing through the game with ease (two losses on my profile record), but now I'm suddenly finding Soda Popinski to be pretty much impossible and it's starting to tick me off. Any tips on beating him, guys?

3. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Title Defense Aran Ryan is a nasty, cheap little S.O.B. ><

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Totally. He becomes a chump once you figure out the pattern of his stupid rope glove.

5. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

6. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this question...

Just how do you get stars? I know how to activate them, but I feel like I'm getting some at random. The Don Flamenco fight I've gotten plenty (after the uno-dos-thres), and Great Tiger (after he flashes... yellow).

7. jph139

jph139 Immortal

It depends. Sometimes you get one if you hit your opponent right before he swings, or right after, or right in the middle. Sometimes you get one if you counter him. The only surefire way is to hit them when they flash yellow, like you said - and even then, you only get the star if you hit them in the right place at the right time.

...so, to answer your question, I have virtually no idea. :p

8. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well now that I sent my Wii to be repaired and it came back the very next day, I mean wow Nintendo, you sure did find the problem with my Wii very fast. I finally decided to pop this game in to see if it works.

As far as the game goes, I'M LOVING IT!!! I'm using the Nunchuck/Remote style for now and wow, it really nice to play with it like that. So far my only loss has come from Bear Hugger. I might lose against Great Tiger, but who knows, maybe his pattern isn't that different.

9. jph139

jph139 Immortal

You will. And your confidence will be your downfall. Only by harnessing your anger can you defeat the tiger.

...what? You all know it's true! >.>

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

TD Bald Bull is starting to make me angry. I have a very hard time getting the timing on the bull charge right, which just screws things up. I knock him down twice in two rounds and he gets back up--I can get knocked down three times over 2-3 rounds and fall down. I know I can get stars off of him with the one-two punch, but the manner in which the game awards seems arbitrary and random. Later in the match the timing of those punches where he spins both hands and throws suddenly changes, so when I DO get a star at a critical moment I often end up losing it.

The game is really stacking the deck on this nonsense.

11. Daxdiv

You're right I did, luckily I was able to counter him quick, after that, I had some problem with Flamenco, but at least I was able to knock out his wig. XD

Also Ryan was giving me trouble, but after going through his tutorial to stop him, he was no problem. I'm now at Soda Popinski and man, he's tough.

12. Daxdiv

Now I'm on Super Macho man, and I only think I spent like 4 hours or so in the game.

I just practiced on Soda Pop and Bald Bull to see what I could exploit. Soda was getting him away from his damned bottle, figured I had to punch it out of his hands or something. When I did that, he wasn't too happy about that. Dodge city man. Though I did LOL at when I KO him, when he was going for his "Popeye routine" as I like to call it, that he didn't even have a drop left. :lol:

BB, I went into practice mode until I could take him down when he uses his patented "Bull Rush" technique. WHere I decided to TKO him in the second round, 1st KO, the result from round 1, 2nd KO, Bull Rush, 3rd another Bull rush. Awesome. Now time to find out Super Macho Man pattern.

13. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

I'm currently on Title Defense Mode against Piston Hondo. I'm having enough trouble as it is...

Vs. Mode is pretty enjoyable despite playing only as Little Mac.

14. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

I'm saving up to buy this as a birthday present for my brother since he's a big fan of Super Punch Out! I remember watching him fight against this old guy with a cane. He was crazy hard, but I don't think he's in the Wii version. I know he'll recognize other characters like Bear Hugger. ..As for myself and Punch out games, to put it simply, I'm horrible. :sweat:

Anyway, on the bright side, I know he'll enjoy it and he'll probably be surprised about it too since he doesn't really follow today's video games all that much. One thing he won't be happy about I'm sure, is seeing Aran Ryan again.

15. Perry

Perry Super... man

I wound up coming in second place at the Punch-Out!! tournament at my local Gamestop. The kid I was versing knew how to dodge my punches as Giga Mac real well and that was pretty much the deciding factor. If it was a bout between two Little Macs, I probably would have kicked his ass. In the end, I guess a bumper sticker is better than nothing, though.

16. Daxdiv

Now after dealing with Mr. Sandman, I'm working on Title Defense Mode. So far I'm on Disco Kid. He almost feels the same, except he is more of a showboater than ever before, and by showboater, I mean more quicker than he was ever before. Though I do take pleasure in causing him pain. Glass Joe, I had to find the star punch opportunity in him to get stars and to land them. Kaiser, just had to learn that he was psyching me and to face punch him on whatever side was closer to my fist.

17. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

Well I've beaten TD mode. And I've unlocked the secret character. Right now I'm working on completing all the exhibition challenges. Some of these challenges are just gonna be really tough. After that I might work on trying to beat every one in challenge mode.

18. Perry

Perry Super... man

Mr. Sandman is easily ten times harder than all of the other opponents in "Career Mode". Then again, I said that for every character I faced in the World Circuit before figuring out their movesets. I'm just real anxious to start playing "Title Defense Mode", I guess.

19. Daxdiv

So far my progess, I have beaten Title Defense Mode B Circuit. King Hippo was kind of easier than I expected him to be, that is once I knocked out his sewer cap. Disco Kid, he's a pushover in this once you know how to take him down, but damn, he was still hilarious as hell in the fight.

20. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

man I love disco kids music!!