1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WII] Punch-Out!! Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jave, May 18, 2009.

1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

[​IMG]

Release Date: 05/18/2009
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Developer: Next Level Games

Nintendo is reviving one of its most storied and popular franchises with the first new Punch-Out!! boxing game in 15 years. Players will once again follow the exploits of the up-and-coming challenger, Little Mac, and take on a series of opponents, including favorites from the past like Glass Joe and King Hippo.

Well, the game is now officially out, so with that we start the official talkback. I have my own copy pre-ordered and I should get it by Wednesday, which just can't come soon enough.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Here is a good review from 1up. I link this because it answered a particular concern I had, which is that the game would be too short and basically be an updated version of the NES game--a $5 game going for $50 with fresh graphics to justify it. But apparently, this is not really the case.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I have yet to get it of course, but personally, I never, ever thought of it as just "an updated version of the NES game". IMHO, that would be like saying F-Zero X or GX were just a updated versions of the Super NES game. OTOH, Metroid: Zero Mission is an updated version of the original NES game...and more.

Anyhow, I always saw this as its own game: one that is a "remake" of the NES game in the purest sense of the word (i.e., much like how a TV show or movie is a remake of an older TV show or movie; it's that kind of a remake).

4. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

One funny thing is Gamespot has a guide for this, but doesn't have a score for it yet.

5. Batmex

Batmex Avengers Assemble!

Got call from Gamestop, will arrive sometime tues afternoon.

6. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Guess that is a little weird, I thought that they would sit on everything Punch-Out related until the game is officially released.

7. Kryten

Kryten I've been Pony'd

OK, for those that bought it today,

8. SSJ Jake

SSJ Jake Pony Sue is Pony

9. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Arrived this afternoon and I've been playing for a while now. I seriously love this. People who refuse to get a Wii because of lack of good games have no excuse now.

Going through Career mode and man, this game is kicking my ass big time. The first battles were easy, but King Hippo almost made me lose. Good thing the original NES technique still works here (it's the ONLY technique, in fact).

Piston Hondo and Bear Hugger were challenging, but Great Tiger is as cheap as ever. It was the first loss I had, too.

Don Flamenco is friggin' hilarious. My favorite fight by far. He has the best lines (and I actually understand what he's saying!), and his moves are also quite unpredictable, makes for a great fight.

Now Aran Ryan, this guy is a TOTAL JERKHOLE. He moves all over the place, he headbutts, and you can't even use the classic "dodge-then-hit" technique.

I'm stuck at Soda Popinski. I think I got the hang of it, but he's too fast and unpredictable. I'm taking a break now since my arms are tired (yes, I'm using the motion controls).

10. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

by the end of the month your arms will be HUGE!

11. Comics_the_QB

Comics_the_QB My common sense is tingling

Got my copy today. Fantastic game.

The first three matches were easy, but King Hippo threw me off. Lucky for me, I beat him.

Piston Honda and Bear Hugger were a nice challenge, while Great Tiger kicked my ass so many times. I had to go online just to figure out how to beat him, without him teleporting like that. Don Flamenco was pretty easy. (What did he say Jave?)

Aran Ryan took a while to get used too. I finally figured out how to beat him, using the dodge and punch. Soda was fairly difficult, but I beat him. Now I'm on Bald Bull.

12. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

I'm really interested in this but I spent my video game money on UFC Undisputed this month. Maybe I'll give it a rental next weekend to see how it is.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Somehow I doubt that.

This is definitely makes me wish that I had a Wii though...well maybe I can bum it off my friend:D

14. Mandouga

(quoted for emphasis)

And yet, the game was supposed to be made so that you could "intuitively" (or something along those lines) figure out how to defeat your opponents without the aid of an internet guide.

However in any video game, when it takes more than an hour to get past a certain section, that's when it stops being fun. Case in point, it took me more than two hours to get past past Bald Bull in Title Defense "mode" (which isn't actually a separate mode, but rather is part of Career mode). Title Defense is stupid hard. That being said, to me it almost felt as though Title Defense specifically favored those who have played the previous games (age notwithstanding), and even more experienced players as a whole. For less experienced players--especially those who have never played a Punch-Out game before--said difficulty of said Title Defense "mode" could be seen as "extreme". Really, it's that difficult; it took me several tries just to get past Glass Joe in this mode!

Anyway, I'm guess what I'm trying to say is that the only real "problem" with this game is that the Title Defense portion of Career mode may end up beating some players into submission causing them to just give up on the game. It's clear to me that Next Level and Nintendo tried their best to balance the game so that it considers all game players of all ages and skill levels, including those who had never played a Punch-Out game before. However, as the old saying goes, "Somtimes your best just isn't good enough" (referring specifically to Title Defense).

For these reasons, I'm REALLY glad that this game features unlimited continues (unlike the NES game that declares Game Over after you lose three times). IMHO, this game would have been a complete exercise in frustration otherwise.

15. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

Anyone here use the Wii motion controls for punching? I do! It works! I don't know why there has been reviews where they tell you the motion controls are broke or are not recommended. Heck, the motion controls are better than Wii Boxing on Wii Sports. It's a good work out. My arms are kinda sore right as we speak. I wouldn't mind putting on my Power Glove and box with Punch-Out!! :p

I got my behind handed to me by King Hippo. He has a new attack in which I wasn't ready for.:sweat:

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Let's see...

(Between Rounds)
    "¿No te parece que huelo a victoria?" ("Don't you think I smell like victory?")
    "¿Has visto hombre, como enamoro a las chicas?" ("Have you seen man, how I charm the girls?")

(Mac is down)
    "¡Venga, venga!" (Come here, come here!")
    "¿Quieres más?" ("You want some more?")
    "¡Perfecto!" ("Perfect!")

(Taunt)
    "¡Anda, anda!" ("Come on, come on!")

(Throwing a punch)
    "¡Toro!" ("Bull!")
    "¡Carmen mi amor!" ("Carmen my love!")
    "¡Uno, dos, tres!" ("One, two, three!")

(Miss a punch)
    "¡Fallé!" ("I missed!")
    "¡Ay, Mamá!" ("Ow, Mother!")
    "¿Será posible?" ("Can it be?")

There a few more but those are the ones I remember.

17. warnerbroman

do these include after the loses his toupee? and why do I keep hearing tom kenny

anyone think "TIGER UPPERCUT" whenever fighting Great Tiger

#17 warnerbroman, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  18. Mandouga

Not me, especially since the character of Great Tiger had existed long before Capcom created the Sagat character (and even then, Sagat, who appeared in the original game as the final boss, didn't get his "Tiger Uppercut" until number II)...

Anyhow, I just read in the manual (and some of you probably already knew this) that when you reach "Mac's Last Stand", you can't restart or quit. The unlimted continues end here also; once you lose three times, Mac will give up and retire. Personally, I didn't think this was necessary. The game is hard enough (as I mentioned in my last post) without "eventually" making it so that you can actually "lose" the game (i.e., with nothing you can do about it), not to mention the fact it's against random characters (I reiterate: TD Bald Bull was a nightmare for me*). It seems to me that Next Level only did this as a reference/tribute to the NES game (where you only had three "continues" afterwhich game over would be declared). I do understand the context ("you can't just retire a champion"), but I still don't think it was necessary. For that reason, I don't think it's worth it just to fight "the 14th character" (and unlock him for Exhibition mode).

In my opinion, I think Next Level was trying too hard to "consider":

-older and younger players
    -experienced and inexperienced players
    -players who have played the previous games, and those who haven't

It's a good game and all, and Next Level clearly had good intentions, but I think the end result is a lopsided game that ultimately makes more consideration to "older", "experienced" players who especially had already played the NES game even though it doesn't mean to.

With all that said, I sometimes wonder if Nintendo should have made this one themselves...

*OTOH, I was able to beat both TD Super Macho Man and TD Mr. Sandman in just a few minutes (at a time, of course).

19. warnerbroman

yeah it was 3 years before my time

20. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

Man WTF on Great Tiger and Don Flamenco? These two were jokes in the original Punch-Out and now they're kicking my ass here? I think I lost to both these guys three times before I beat them.