1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wii/PS2]"Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love" Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by J.E.Smith, Apr 11, 2010.

1. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

[​IMG]

Considering the game has been out for almost two weeks, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a proper talkback for this yet. So for those who have the game, what does everyone think of it so far? I'm only at Chapter 5 myself (The Subaru one), but so far I'm enjoying it. The one downside of picking the dialouge choices that lead to the more humorous responses from your teammates are also negative ones that lower their trust, so you can't do too many of them in any given chapter or they'll have no stat boosts in the combat sections and thus be weaker and useless. ​

But then again, if you want to play through the game over and over to see all six of the endings (One for each girl on your team, the one with Ratchet being unobtainable on the first playthrough), you can always go with different responses each time. Right now, I think one of the more funnier (but messed up) bits I've come across so far is:

Anyone else have futher comments or hilarous moments they'd like to share?

2. Speedy Cerviche

Up here in Canada the release was messed up. The date was Friday April 2 2010...... yeah that sucked. I had it per-ordered since November but at the last minute I found the game at my good indie game store before the April 2nd date and it was about 10 bucks cheaper. Needless to say I bought it and canceled my per-order:D

The version I picked up was the PS2 version. and the extra stuff is great. The art book the game comes with is presented as a theater program which is a really nice touch.

Since I'm still playing thought the game I'll refrain from comments Although:

Edit: I also have say the Wii version is a waste of disk, there's only one aspect of the gameplay where the Wii motion control could be useful and it ain't the combat.

3. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Yeah, in the Wii version the only time they use the motion control is during the "point-and-click" segments. Another thing about is that you more or less need a Classic Controller in order to do the Stick LIPS (Button prompt segments where you have a limited time to fill up a gauge by pressing certain directions or rotating the analong sticks) successfully. This is difficult to do using the Nunchuck because you have to use the Control Pad on the remote in place of the right stick.

But that's the only other flaw in the Wii version (The other being not having the Japanese voices, but that all depends on your tolerance of the English voices).

4. Speedy Cerviche

Hey I thought the dub cast did a good job

5. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Indeed they did (Makes a lot more sense actually hearing a Spanish accent coming out of Rosita after all. Not to mention you've got Johnny Yong Bosch voicing Shinjiro, it's a shame he doesn't speak outisde of the anime cutscenes). When I said *your tolerance* I wasn't meaning just you, I was saying that in case there are people out there who didn't like the dub cast.

6. wikawaka

wikawaka Member

Im still ticked of that the PS2 version was not released in Europe meaning I have to pay for a Wii to play the game. :( (Nothing against the Wii, but I bought a PS3 not too long ago so I dont want to pay for another machine when I still have my trusty PS2. )

From the eng dub videos Ive seen on YT I quite like Gemini's voice. Other than that Ive only heard Diana who also sounded good.

I do hope we get the other games released some day too, as good as SW5 is I'd love to get all of them in English.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is a text-based game with some SRPG stuff thrown in, but it's much more entertaining than I was expecting. I can see how this franchise got so popular overseas. I paid $30 for my Wii copy and after two playthroughs I found it more than worthwhile for the price. At first I found it challenging at a few spots, but once I got familiar with the gameplay mechanics I could mow down enemies in quite a few battles without taking any losses. With just a little more practice i can really go to town on this game.

I'll say up front that the voice acting is definitely up to par. Anyone whose seen the NIS trailer needs to cast it out of their minds, because quite frankly it made the game sound much less fun to me than it actually is. And Gemini's voice doesn't overdo it in the actual game.

There are enough conversation options and events in the game that you definitely won't see everything in one playthrough. It's definitely best to just follow your instinct and see what happens. In my case sometimes I was right, sometimes I was wrong, and sometimes my choice led to something humorous. Good times. The characterization certainly helps; it can be surprisingly satisfying to get a good read on the group members' distinct personalities and the game does a good job of making you feel like you're having a direct influence on their development in the story.

This is quite an anime fan game, there's no doubt about that. Some of the stuff that happens definitely revels in some typical tropes, and while there's a good share of serious moments the game definitely doesn't commit the mistake of taking itself very seriously. There are times where it's really tempting to pick a sillier option just to see what comes of it.

It's too bad there is no hard mode to up the ante even more, but I suppose one could go there by acting like an idiot and doing almost nothing to raise anyone's approval. Maybe I'll do that just for fun.

My character preference to date: Diana > Ratchet > Shinjiro > Gemini > Subaru > Chieron > Rosita > Shinjiro if he's played like a weak guy. That's mostly really just preference; I wouldn't say there's a flat out bad character.

8. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

So just finished the game the other day. I can say that I did enjoy the game. However I can see why it took so long for these games to head overseas. The heavy text, dating-sim type presentation isn’t something the average American is going to go crazy over. Plus I was a bit disappointed that there weren’t more battles until near the end.

That said, I liked the concept of improving battle stats thru relationships with your teammates. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones was only other RPG I played when relationships did more than just changed the endings (not the most avid gamer of this genre), giving it a true role-playing feel to it.

As for endings, I went the cliché route and chose Gemini as my partner…but hey, its not my fault they red-haired, freckled Texan so gosh durn likeable.;) (Plus I recently found out her voice work was done by Laura Bailey. She, along with the rest of the voice cast did an awesome job) I pretty much liked all of the cast, though some took longer to warm up to than others, looking at you Cheiron & Subaru, haha. Overall, just wish there were more battles & more freedom to roam around during the adventure part.

Some of my favorite parts include:

9. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

Well Dub, are you going to go back and play again for Ratchet's ending and Shin's 10th rank?

(For those of you wondering, you can get a more powerful super move for Shin during Chapter 8 if you get his highest rank, "Skyscraper Samurai" during the second playthrough and up. You have to meet several requirements to get this though:

1. You must have at least 110 relationship points gained before Chapter 8. In other words, you must pick nothing but the positive dialouge choices that net you the highest amount of points.

2. You need to score all the relation points with both Cherry and Anri that you can (A total of least 40). This means you must try to do all the Free Movement events with them.

3. You must have Level 5 or 6 relations with Shinjiro and all five girls by the time you go into Chapter 8 (Red or gold lines on the Friendship screen)

4. You must have Level 5 or 6 relations between all five girls (On the Friendship screen, all the lines between the girls must be red or gold. This is the only one you don't have to do in a single playthrough because the relationship points between the girls is the only thing other than Shin's rank and stats that carries over to a new game. So if Subaru and Cherion had Level 5 relations at the end of your playthrough, they'll have it at the start of the next one. You boost relations between girls by doing Joint Attacks between them, or having one girl heal another)

5. You must perform all five Super Team attacks (Also know as Romance or Coupling attacks) between Taiga and each girl. You can only do these with the girl who is in the #1 slot on the Condition screen, and even then the girl's stats must be +12/+10/+1 (+12/+10/+3 in all playthroughs after the first). The best way to do this is perform it with the girl who is the focus of each chapter (In Chapter 2, use Cherion's, Rosita's in Chapter 3, Diana's in Chapter 4, Subaru's in Chapter 5, and Gemini's in Chapter 6).

You need to get as many points during the chapter with these girls to push them into the #1 slot and so they have the required stats. You also need to boost relation points by using "Help Me!" and Protect (Below taken from an FAQ post at GameFAQS)

- In Chapter 2, use Help Me! once on Cherion during the boss battle.
    - In Chapter 3, use Help Me! once on Rosita during the cannon destruction battle.
    - In Chapter 4, use Help Me! and all three Protect commands on Diana during the flunkie battle.
    - In Chapter 5, use Help Me! once any time prior to the FMV that automatically gives you relationship points for Subaru.
    - In Chapter 6, the move is usable from the start if you've maxed out the points you can score with Gemini via prior LIPS choices in that chapter.

If the girls have the required stats and are at the #1 spot on the list, you can do the Super Team attack, you just stand right next to the girl's STAR (Or have the girl stand next to Taiga) and select your Super Attack and you can do the Unison attack in place of the normal one. (You can tell if you can do it if the attack radius is a wide range).

If you do all five of the above requirements, Shin's rank in Chapter 8 will become "Skyscraper Samuari" and you can then do his new Super Attack, Supernova for the final parts of the game.

10. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

While I believe I will play again pretty soon, I'm still debating on rather I wanna shot for her's or Rosita's ending.

11. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

You can do both in the same playthrough, just make two saves at the start of Chapter 7 (Do one girl's date/ending first, then start from the second save and do the other. Heck, you could make *three* saves and cover the girl who's at number 3 on the Condition list. The minimum amount of times you have to play the game all the way through is two; when you get to Chapter 7 on the first playthrough just make three saves at Chapter 7 and do your top three girls there, then get Ratchet and the other two girls on the second)