Why Was The Great Gazoo Totally Phased out Of The Flintstones?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Mr Flintstone, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone New Member

After the original series ended, I only recall Gazoo appearing in the second Flintstones movie. I don'teen.ever recall him appearing in any Fruity Pebbles commercials.

What gives?

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

I guess that Gazoo just wan't popular with the shows' fans. Being a magical powered alien from the future kind of took one out of the premise of the "modern Stone Age family".. The Gruesome's were enough of a departure.

The thing is, I do recall there being a Great Gazoo comic book and maybe a coloring book during my childhood (I'm not sure if that one's real or if I just imagined it). And Gazoo did appear in 1 or 2 Pebbles Cereal commercials. If you're observant, you can spot him in the background of the Cupcake Pebbles commercial. He was also in a Pebbles commercial that spoofed American Idol.

3. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone New Member

OK. I will definitely check out those commercials.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Because he ruined the show.

5. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

Naaaaah, braaaaah

6. Shawn Hopkins

He did. He turned it into garbage. His introduction was the death knell of quality for the entire Flintstones franchise, since it's only been crap from the Gazoo's introduction.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

His introduction was basically a jump the shark moment for the show, so he probably isn't popular or well remembered among most of the fans.

8. Eric B

Eric B New Member

It wasn't a phasing out, since he was in the original series to the end. When the franchise was started up again, it was Pebbles and Bamm Bamm, and would remain so for good, with one exception. So those shows focused on the kids and their friends. Gazoo was basically the mentor of Fred and Barney. By the time we get to the flash-in-the-pan series where the kids were somewhere between children and teens (which included the 1977 Christmas special), they weren't thinking of Gazoo, or, IIRC the other side characters.

As for ruining the show, we have here again the same old argument as with Scrappy. The show ran for several seasons, they were out of ideas, that was their last attempt to keep it alive, and it had to be given a rest for a few years before being revived under a whole new format (again, this was focusing on the kids. For Scooby it was begin turned into kids and spoofing the show).

I'd say with Gazoo, they were able to expand the ideas (I like the last season), as he was able to use his supernatural powers to add to the story (like transferring them to a Jetsons-like future

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

As Lisa Simpson once put it, "Most shows bring in new characters when they're running out of ideas."

The Great Gazoo was basically a pre-Scrappy Doo; he was a new character who was brought on to the show in an attempt to breathe new life into the series. after 4 seasons, The Flintstones' writers must have felt that they had taken the "Modern Stone Age Family" concept as far as it can go, and began stooping to some rather desperate tactics to keep people interested, most notably, the use magical characters such as Gazoo and a guest appearance by Samantha Stevens from Bewitched in 1 episode.

As Eric mentioned, the next new Flintstones series after the original series ended was Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (1973), which was a flash forward series focusing on the kids as teenagers which put them and their friends in the front, Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty were only supporting players. there was no place for Gazoo, who could only be seen by Fred and Barney. Plus, as I mentioned, many fans saw the introduction of Gazoo as a "jump the shark" moment for the series, which is likely why Gazoo never appeared again aside from Easter Egg appearances.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Storywise, Gazoo likely fulfilled his role and returned to his home planet. In the last episode of the series "My Fair Freddy", he actually manages to help Fred in a good way, so there was no reason for him to stay after that.

Note: Gazoo died in the way to his home planet.

11. Shawn Hopkins

The difference, though, is that Scrappy worked. Scrappy kept the Scooby Doo franchise alive for years. Gazoo drove a stake through the heart of the relateable Honeymooners-style domestic comedy that made the Flintstones popular with a wider audience, and it did nothing to help the series get another season.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Others here basically summed it up: Gazoo was seen by many as just too big a departure from the show's normal goings-on. the basic premise of a "modern Stone Age family" aping The Honeymooners was baroque enough, add to that the gimmick characters of the Gruesomes, who were Gothic monster types existing millions of years before the Gothic movement had been invented was enough of a stretch, but a magical green alien from the future was just too much and he really didn't fit in with the rest of the Flintstones universe. Plus, as Shawn mentioned, Gazoo didn't really help to prolong the series; the show just ended after his episodes. We didn't even get an on-camera resolution to his plot of having to perform good deeds so he'd be allowed to return to his home planet Zetox (sp?), so he gained the reputation of being the show's "jump the shark" moment on top of that.

13. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Wouldn't Gazoo have been a better fit in The Jetsons instead?

14. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

"What an unfitting end for such an important periphery character!"

While Gazoo certainly didn't help, it's hard to say whether he was really where the show jumped the shark, the original premise had already waned greatly by that point, with an over reliance on guest stars or more surreal storylines. Not to mention they'd already started the whole 'overhyped new character' shtick with Pebbles, Bam Bam and even his kangeroo thing that was rarely shown.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Yes, there was a Gazoo comic book. Charlton put it out when they had the license to do a Flintstones book.

16. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm debuted in 1971, and was replaced with the Flintstone Comedy Hour/Show the next year. Had it started in '73, Sally Struthers (All In The Family) would never have been Pebbles. As it was, she left due to AITF commitments after the 1971-2 season.

17. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

I think The Great Gazoo did appear in a Fruity Pebbles commercial where he steals all the orange. I know it because I've seen the commercial in '98.

18. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

Adding to further appearance(s), the plot of "The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino & Hoppy" (for the NES) involved gathering pieces of Gazoo's time machine to go into the future.

19. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, I remember that. When the orange pebbles were part of a contest.

I also vaguely remember a Cartoon Network promo starring Gazoo saying that he can do anything, except control the schedule so he let viewers vote for which episode was airing next. When viewers voted for his debut episode, he cheered saying "It's one of my favorites" or something like that.

20. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

No doubt you must be talking about "My Favorite Fred".
    [video=youtube;49HvVBRxR7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=49HvVBRxR7Y[/video]
    It starts from 1:40 to 2:10.