1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was Disney Channel's Cartoons filled with Valley Girls?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by TheMisterManGuy, Sep 1, 2017.

1. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Back in the 2000s, Disney Channel always seemed to force in a stereotypical Teenage girl who is only pre-occupied with shopping and boys into most of their cartoons. Candy, Candace Flynn, Brandy Harrington, I guess Kim Possible as well, but Kim at least actually had some depth to her character. The only exceptions to this are Gravity Falls (Wendy is actualy cool), and Wander Over Yander, which were the last cartoons originally produced for Disney Channel until Tangled. I know Disney was on a sort of "girl power" kick back then, and still is today, but why was it necessary for this to bleed into their cartoons?

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd think Bonnie was probably more of a valley girl than Kim. When it comes to teen and youth archetypes in media, I think a lot of what we were getting still stemmed from the 80s, which was probably when a lot of the crew members had their own experiences and it reflected in the shows.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

3. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

To be clear, I don't mind this archetype as long as the character is well written and has depth. Lori Loud is a good example of the the Valley Girl stereotype done right. But it's something I've noticed just about every Disney Channel animated series at the time, and more often than not these characters felt forced and annoying like Candy, Brandy, Candace, and heck there was even an entire cartoon with one as the lead in the form of The Buzz on Maggie.