Why Rock Lee, why not Chopper or Kon or someone else?

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by zoombie, Apr 9, 2012.

1. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

How come Rock Lee got a spinoff first a manga spinoff later adapted to anime, why did Naruto in general get the spinoff, is that much mroe popular of the big 3? I thought for sure One Piece is the most popular manga series in Japan. All the rankings most of the time One Piece is on top. So logicly wouldn't One Piece get a spinoff before Naruto?

I thought since he is the mascot of OP, Chopper could headline a spinoff, or maybe a Chopper and Sanji spinoff.

While not as popular, but since they make a lot of omakes for years, and he is featured there a lot, a Kon spinoff would have been awesome. Maybe he could host a talk show or a variety show, and Bleach characters appear as his guests, and we see some random comedy adventures.

Maybe Kishimoto was open to doing a spinoff than the other authors. Maybe they approached Oda first and were turned down, and Kishimoto was next in line.

2. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG]

Chopper DOES have a spinoff manga. It's even published in the same magazine as the Rock Lee spinoff.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah but I think the question is why there isn't a Chopperman anime out there, outside of the occasional special episode in the One Piece TV series. It's a good question, maybe Toei just figures it's doing enough as-is.

......I'd watch it though. Well, I would if it were like the specials. Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals seems a bit too goofy and twice as long as it should be.

4. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Oh my bad, I guess I ain't looking in the right places.

Still why not anime adaption like Rock Lee. But as mention before, they are done by different studios. At least Naruto and Bleach are done by the same studio. Toei might just not beleive in that stuff.

5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

If the Bleach anime was popular enough to get a spinoff, why would the main series be canceled? I don't buy that whole "the anime was getting too close to the manga" junk, since if the anime was popular enough they would've just dropped another filler arch.

I see Naruto SD: Rock Lee's Fun Time existing because Shueshia and Studio Pierrot bought Bleach's timeslot for x amount of years on TV Tokyo. That x amount of years hasn't been completed yet, but the ratings for the Bleach anime have been dropping likes flies in a sauna. There aren't a lot of big name JUMP series without an anime so what do they do? Adapt a spinoff of a successful series they're already making, while at the same time promoting Shueshia's now monthly Saikyo JUMP.

I've seen the first episode of Naruto SD, and it very much feels like it's filler for something else. It shouldn't be a 22 minute weekly series. If it had to be weekly, it should be a short series banished alongside BakuTech Bakugan, and Hyper YoYo Kingdom in the 5 minute run time zone of Saturday mornings on TV Tokyo.

As for a potential Chopper spinoff series, I don't believe Toei, or Fuji TV are interested. One likes to make money by doing the least amount of work possible, and the other doesn't exactly have ample air time dedicated towards anime programming. I'd doubt something One Piece related would air on another network.

6. OnePark

OnePark גורל

The kids magazine it runs in just started last year. Rock Lee (Naruto SD) got popular because it was humorous. Chopperman wasn't. What is popular get an anime adaption.

Plain and simple.

7. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

It got 1.5s-2.1s on a 6pm slot, it pretty much bombed with a giant explosion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  8. straw_hat

straw_hat New Member

Yeah that Chopperman spinoff is terrible.

9. Daxdiv

Daxdiv The Fool!

Put me down as another person that was unimpressed by the Chopperman Spin-off, but adored the Rock Lee spin-off, and this is coming from someone that prefers One Piece over Naruto period.