1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Why Only 1988 Could Produce The Best Version Of Who Framed Roger Rabbit" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

"Song of the South" had a theatrical re-release in the '80s.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I know; I said it was the 90's when they started to clamp down on it.

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Strangely, at least one episode of House of Mouse had Song of the South characters cameo, though I wonder if Disney expected the children watching just to know them as, "Some of those animals from Splash Mountain."

5. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Beat me to the punch. Also, the animated segments from Song of the South are still available, as they were included in the DVD release of Walt's Alice in Wonderland animated feature (I think they might be on the Blu-ray release as well, but I don't own that).

Furthermore, King Features Syndicate owns Popeye, not Paramount. Paramount didn't even own their Popeye cartoons by the 1980s.

Also, and this is more subjective, but I wouldn't say all adult cartoons from the 1970s and early 1980s looked bad. Ralph Bakshi's early films had somewhat rough and inconsistent animation, but I though the designs looked fine. Likewise, Nelvana's Rock 'n' Rule had pretty good animation and designs for what it was.

And I should note that the Touchstone label was created just before Eisner joined Disney.

Good article otherwise.

6. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Re-posting with something actually about Roger Rabbit at the end.

I checked, the Blu-Ray has one animated segment from that movie.

In other news, reading this article during Back to the Future's 30th anniversary (and no, I can't remember whether or not I actually meant to quote that movie at the start of this paragraph) got me thinking again about some of the connections the second movie has with Who Framed Roger Rabbit--in addition to the people who worked on all three BTTF films and Roger Rabbit, it also has Biff driving through the Toontown tunnel, Roger's VA asking Marty to help save the clock tower again, and Marty seeing a plush rabbit at the antique shop. I often fail to realize that the lattermost probably marks Marty's first exposure to Roger, unless he and/or someone he knew already read Who Censored Roger Rabbit.

7. DaffyDonaldQW93

Would you do more of these "if only the best version of x was produced in y" articles?