1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Why no Season Three for Spectacular Spider-Man

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by GL Zeeguy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

and

How can you say they had nothing to do with creating the show, when they created all the major characters and themes... I don't really see how anyone can reasonably contend that Marvel "DNA" isn't part and parcel of any reasonably faithful treatment of the material at hand.

Marvel Studios wasn't funded at that point when SSM was in development; Marvel Studios still outsources much of its work to places like Studio Roman. More involvement my comic professionals is problematic, as people like Marv Wolfman, Gerry Conway, Steve Gerber, Mark Evanier, et cetera, have been mainstays in the action animation industry segment for a long, long time. Comic industry professionals in American animation is nothing new or innovative.

2. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

*sigh* Because this:

And this:

I'm not sure how I can put it more plainly. We are not saying that there's nothing Marvel related in the show. What we are saying is that Marvel, the company and their current employees, were not involved in the making of SSM.

I must also say that both Jeph Loeb and Joe Quesada are the ones saying no Spider-Man show had "Marvel DNA" other than USM, not us.

3. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

The difference between TSSM and, say, Wolverine and the X-Men is that Marvel ultimately got to choose the entire creative staff in the latter show. The staff for TSSM was chosen entirely by Sony. In fact, it was Sony who pushed for Weisman to be head writer and got the final say on the matter.

In any case, we should probably stop debating semantics; it would be a pity to see the first TSSM thread in months get locked over that.

4. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Look, I understand the semantic point -- that there is a difference between owning the characters and working on a show -- and what I'm saying is that doesn't apply when someone licenses a creative property; this is why Stan Lee has a writer credit on every single episode.

5. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Does anyone know whether it was Marvel or Sony who uploaded the TSSM episodes onto the US version of Netflix? I'm guessing it was Sony, since Marvel has posted their library of titles onto the Canadian service (including AEMH), but there is still no sign of Spectacular.

6. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Since when did you mention that?

Actually Stan is only given an "Executive Producer" credit, along with Craig Kyle and Eric S. Rollman, and a "Created by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko" never a writing one for the show. What comes right after the "Executive Producer" one? "Developed for Television by Victor Cook & Greg Weisman" not Marvel, or people working for Marvel.

You're right. I was expecting this thread to die fairly quickly and not get over 60 posts.

I've just been reminded that in the UK season 2 hasn't been released on DVD. Season 1 did and all the over Marvel cartoons are, but for some reason they decided not to release it.

7. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, to me its kind of the same thing as saying "Water is wet"; the distinction I reject is the crux of mac's argument, and I think the distinction is an invalid one. I'm not the one who contended that Marvel had nothing to do with SSM, after all - I just found the statement profoundly in error.

As for the Stan Lee credit, that'll teach me to trust IMDB; I was curious as to what else some of the writers had done apart from SSM; got some stellar talent on that show (and a lot of them work for Greg on YJ).

8. Aspect

Aspect New Member

What did everyone think of USM? I enjoyed it.... I haven't seen Spectacular Spider-Man

9. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I hope Sony says to Marvel that they're gonna take him out of the MCU after the sequel so Disney can get the full rights back to Spider-Man and the rights to SSM and SMTNAS so they can revive the shows on Netflix.

#69 brodie999, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. Aspect

Aspect New Member

Change doesn't do anything. Do not quote me with a change petition. That has nothing to do with my post anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

sorry, I deleted it. That better? what do you think of my post now?

12. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member