1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no Season Three for Spectacular Spider-Man

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by GL Zeeguy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Alex20

Alex20 Member

I remember reading about someone form Marvel lashing out at a fan that asked why SSM was cancelled. He said something like "why are you asking about that show, that show is done, we've moved on." I can't find the quote or who said it anymore so does anyone remember this?

2. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I don't remember anything like that being said. The closest is a veiled diss by Jeph Loeb when he was promoting USM at a con where he said USM would be better than its predecessors because USM has "Marvel DNA".

That's where my problems with USM began, incidentally. The arrogance in the statement and buzzwords are still on my mind to this day.

But nothing like what you've mentioned has been reported to my knowledge.

3. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Why? They should be striving to make this better than its predecessors, and I think it's a good thing that they take pride in their work. But most importantly, as you noted it's just buzzwords to generate some hype.

4. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the tech industry we refer to press releases like that as "content-free marketing".

5. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

That was from Tom Breevort's response to someone via his Formspring account:

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/...-cartoon-preview-image-and-breevort-comments/

While the fan asking the questions was pretty rude and hostile, to assume that a show had "run its course" while there were still three seasons and DTVs planned reeks of arrogance.

6. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

In Tom's defense, I've known him for a long time, and he's really a nice, even-tempered fellow; however, even the patience of saints can be severely tested by fans with a tenacious axe to grind. If he came off as arrogant, I'm pretty sure its not how he intended it. His points are well-taken, though - nobody is going to run two series like that with the same character. I mean, I'm right there with wanting a third season, but it just isn't ever going to happen - we have a better chance of seeing a new Gargoyles series first, or more Firefly.

Honestly, pros who make themselves readily available online amaze me; I've seen the most even-tempered and generous pro snap like a turtle after awhile (PAD, Mark Waid). The ones who manage to always be open and welcoming are beyond my ability to understand how they can continually be so.

Of course, we all know I'm somewhat of a curmudgeon.

Now get off my lawn! :D

7. Alex20

Alex20 Member

This was what I was looking for, thanks.

The fans must have gotten to him because he seemed really ticked off in the second response. Also, DC had two competing shows featuring the same character with Justice League Unlimited and The Batman.

8. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

Except one: Batman wasn't the only main character on Justice League; two: during the Unlimited seasons, the infamous Bat-Embargo loomed over them.

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

It's possible Greg Weisman may finish the series via a comic. I just read.a recent response on Askgreg, about future plans. He gave a no comment.

10. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Sean "Cheeks" Galloway was the character designer for The Spectacular Spider-Man. Here's some of his art http://cheeks-74.deviantart.com/gallery/

The animation studio actually did an excellent job of keeping the designs on model. I'll admit the style was off-putting at first but I quickly grew to like it.

This seems like a textbook case of judging a book by it's cover because Spectacular Spider-Man is an excellent cartoon and a love letter to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. It is easily the best Spider-Man cartoon to have ever existed in my opinion. It certainly tells a better story in it's brief run than the previous series did and naturally it has the best animation by a long shot and didn't resort to reusing footage over and over again like Spider-Man: TAS or some of the other series were known to do to not over extend their budgets per episode. It was well planned and exceptionally executed on all fronts. So much so that while they planted seeds effectively to build on the story the 26 episodes rap things up nicely enough to not feel incomplete. That's impressive for a cartoon.

11. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

I'm sure that he'd love to continue the story if given the opportunity. I mean, he and the other writers plotted out an elaborate narrative, and I doubt he wants to completely throw that away. That's probably why he's reluctant to give out details of what was going to happen in future seasons.

But will it ever be possible to continue it? Even though there's an obvious rights problem with the Spectacular brand now, I'm not convinced that Marvel/Disney was incapable of simply starting a new series from scratch that happened to continue TSSM's story, and I'm not convinced that it can't still be done in the future.

Even if TSSM is never continued, I'd still like to think that Greg can be brought back to work with the character again if fans show that there is a discernible market for it. Problem is: will there still be one after USM hits? That's the problem that surrounds working with established IPs: we're talking about a character who satisfies audiences even when he's fighting Japanese monsters and flying around in a giant robot. The majority of people just don't care about having a perfect version of Spider-Man.

12. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

Except that's no different than how any company promotes any show. You shouldn't take such comment so seriously.

Wrong. He actually went to Marvel/Disney about, but they said no. Which Makes sense, since they've moved on to other stuff. Greg also admits it's highly unlikely to happen now.

So don't hold your breath.
    I did not reek of arrogance at all and he tired people trying to find a scapegoat. Besides, Sony was done with the show by that time.

Exactly!

Because Marvel owns Spider-Man:TAS, Ulimited and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but they don't own Spect. They can air the other shows without having to pay anyone.

#32 Venom Melendez, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  13. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I'm not fond of the "Marvel DNA" comments. Yeah it's just hype to get people more interested in USM because they've got comic artists helping out, but it rubs me the wrong way. It just feels like they're putting down all the other Marvel cartoons for not having comic creators working on them.

(Though Loeb's comments that USM is going to be better than anything DC is putting out because "it looks more like the comics" is worse, imo)

I'd love for this to happen but I don't think it will. Since Sony owns to IP rights to the show (the logo, character designs, etc) I don't think Marvel could legally put out such a book.

I don't think he was that rude, mostly. He was the Spidey editor for the comics at the time and had nothing to do with any decisions regarding the show, so fans shouldn't be badgering him about it.

I think this comment is what got on fans nerves, "We did that show, it ran its course,and now it’s done." For a start it didn't "run its course" because it was cancelled 3 seasons before it was planned to end. He had nothing to do with the show as he was just a Spidey editor, Marvel also had little to do with the show other than sign off on it. That's where the "rude, hostile, and arrogant" idea comes from.

14. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Yeah, see, that's what I'm talking about. It's like "our cartoon will automatically be better because of THIS" not because of anything integral in the show itself.

No cartoon is automatically better because Ed Guinness submitted character designs for the show. Same like every show isn't better because of Greg Weisman being involved (he worked on The Batman which is arguably the worst modern Batman toon ever made). Gumball is one of the best comedy toons I've watched and its staff is full of people I've never heard of.

It leaves me with the impression that the staff are either arrogant or they don't know what they're doing. The fact that Loeb forced the cartoon's planning sessions to work like a live-action show, when there are major differences in how live-action and animation are executed from top-bottom, is semi-worrying IMO.

15. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I disagree; I think every show IS better when Weisman is involved. I also disagree with your assessment of The Batman; it always takes me awhile to get used to a radically different take on characters I like, but I felt it was a valid interpretation, just as it took awhile for me to warm up to Batman: Brave & the Bold. I think that, while nobody knocks it out of the park all the time, there are certain creators in the industry who have earned enough karma on the quality meter that if I don't like the show, I shudder to think what it might have been like without their involvement.

With all due respect and affection, everything about the show fills you with negativity. Wait and see if it works before you judge it.

16. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

To be fair Greg was only a freelancer on The Batman and had no say in how the show was run. He also did write some of the best episodes of the show and the season 1 final, pretty much the only good part of season 1. Now I'm not saying the man is infallible, as a little show called Max Steel can attest to that.

I wouldn't say the staff so much as the people promoting the show, Loeb and Quesada, and we haven't heard much of anything from Dini, Bendis, or the Man of Action team. It's just the people on top who are giving off a bad impression.

The live-action writers room method does make me a bit concerned and strikes me as Loeb only knowing TV production from the live-action sector. Hopefully it doesn't hinder the writers too much.

Season 1 of The Batman was terrible; probably the worst season a DC show has had in recent memory. After that the show got a lot better and the creators found their footing and what they wanted to do with the show instead of just trying not to be BTAS.

#36 W.C.Reaf, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
  17. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

And just like I pointed out, he was somewhat justified in answering like that due to the rude fan that was questioning him about it in a hostile tone. But it doesn't change the fact that it was a very poor choice of words, and one that a lot of people could take the wrong way, especially after coming out so soon after the show's cancellation was from the same source, the mere fact that the show wasn't even officially cancelled as much as a new show was announced, and that they didn't even bother telling the creator of the show in time. It was just a badly timed mesh of unprofessional behavior going around.

And yes, the whole "Marvel DNA" and "Marvel's First Spidey Toon" are just buzztalk and hype and should not be taken seriously. But it does still come off as a bit annoying, especially since Spectacular, or even many modern Marvel shows, didn't have that much buzztalk in comparison.

18. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I admit this irked me as well, mainly because of how inaccurate it is. Even going back to the 1981 Spider-Man cartoon, previous shows had "Marvel DNA" as John Romita Sr and Sal Buscuma were consulted on the show's look (I believe www.spider-friends.com has sketches they contributed to the show). Hell, Romita. Sr even designed Firestar's costume.

Plus, having read some of Jeph Loeb's and Joe Quesada's recent work, I am not certain letting them anywhere near a Spider-Man cartoon is that intelligent an idea. As someone who loves Spider-Man cartoons as much as I do, I admit to be worried about this show... it looks too much like a kiddie-orientated, demographic grabbing, toy commercial like Iron Man: Armoured Adventures is.

Having said that, Paul Dini, the greatest Batman writer ever in my opinon is working on the show and the animation, from what little we've seen, does look very slick. And that Spider-Man model is just beautiful.

19. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

They can do season 3 as an video game for PS3 and Xbox 360 and shounld hired Greg Weisman to write it.

20. GL Zeeguy

GL Zeeguy Member

I disagree. The Batman, IMO, was one of the better DC shows in recent history and even one of the better Batman shows. I certainly liked it more than I did Batman: Brave and the Bold, but that's probably because I'm not too much into the campy sixties style that they employed for that cartoon. The Batman, for me, was a fresh and interesting update on much of the Batman mythos and characters. The animation was clean and fresh and captured the gloominess of Gotham to a tee, at least in my opinion. The characters all got a refreshing visual update, even Batman. I particularly liked Mr. Freeze, Firefly, Catwoman, and Bane's looks (I didn't necessarily like the look they gave the Joker, but....it wasn't so bad). Overall, it was mostly faithful to the comics. I know some characters were revamped, as in the cases of Ethan Bennet being the first Clayface and how they merged Firefly and Dr. Phosphorous into one character, but mostly it worked well with the source material. They also created compelling motivations and personalities for many of the characters. I particularly liked how they portrayed Penguin's character and that they portrayed Bruce as a younger version than what he had been portrayed as in the older animated series. So, all in all, for me, The Batman goes in the win column for DC. And I particularly liked the first and second seasons where they show Batman on his own and establishing himself in Gotham while trying to seek approval/avoid the cops. I don't remember even B:TAS ever exploring that concept before.