1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is swearing considered bad?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by buttah, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

haha, thats your pref. I'm just saying it doesn't sound like the person respected you...and they think you were a lady. :ack:

2. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Couldn't you make out with hot smelly potty mouth girl in front of hot not smoking girl in order to make hot not smoking girl jealous? Then you can be with hot not smoking girl.

3. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

I have to admit, I love swearing. When I get on a roll, every other word can be the f word. Heck, every third syllable can be the f word. But SSJ is right - most of the time when you hear someone going on a string of profanity, it can sound pretty repellent and it's hard to take that person seriously.

4. Lavenderpaw

Lavenderpaw Essense Of Love

Pretty much.Just don't swear around the little ones though.

5. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

I think some swear words are more of an utility. Ass is considered less of a swear word, but it's what most people call buttocks outside of a professional setting. The same goes for words for penis, vagina, and breasts. The F-word really works as a good verb to describe the act of having sex. Saying "have sex" or "make love" is a little cumbersome and I don't like the sound of either. In the end, there's a big difference between saying, "Do you want to f___?" or "I think you have something on your ass" and "F___ you!" or "Stop being an ass."

FUN FACT: During World War II, soldiers cursed so much that NOT cursing was used to illustrate importance or danger to a sentence.

6. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Eh, that'll grow 'em up. :yawn:

7. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

I usually never go above hell or damn unless on three conditions.

1. I get really pissed off
    2. I injure myself
    3. I'm quoting someone

Like someone else said if I'm having a conservation with someone and every other word that comes out of their mouth is the F-word or the S-word, it's hard for me to take them seriously.

8. Beat

Beat Retired

This is an interesting topic. Mostly because the OP isn't going "WAHH! I want to curse uncensored" but because he's delving into the meaning of the language and why it's considered foul. Mostly it's a way of using emphasis.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

10. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

I think they should be. They get to say the F-word on British TV freely.

And speaking of "bad" words on TV, how is "a-hole" more offensive than "ass"? How is the s-word more offensive than "crap"? That's what I don't get.

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the same way I feel about damn. Colbert said the gd version and it went uncensored, but other times god is censored. Is this just to not offend religious people?

12. Dirty Dawg

Dirty Dawg Chinese Democracy starts NOW!

The Supreme Court shouldn't be able to decide stuff like that.I mean, it's not going to scar a child if they hear an f-bomb on tv.WTF?Why can't parents be parents and take some responsibility?Explain it to their kids.Don't make other ppl have to watch butchered programming.Damn FCC is clearly violating the constitution,and the Supreme Court is helping them do it!

13. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Ummm...who else would decide that? The judicial branch interprets the Constitution, after all.

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think that one is the actual anus and the other is the cheeks.

15. KurtmanJP

KurtmanJP Cartoon Dog Fanatic

Normally I'm very calm over the internet and rarely resort to using swear words but in real life, I swear up a storm. Then again, I've got a rather short temper. For me, it's easier to be polite online than in real life.

16. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I always thought that cable/tv companies should allow you to access uncensored material, maybe as a different plan or something. I guess this is the basic premise of v chips but who the hell really knows anything about those things.

17. The New Titans

The New Titans Man of Marvel Marching Society

Over here in England, it may be because some people (coughDaily Mail/Mail on Sundaycough) are still living in the Victorian age.

18. .bg

.bg Active Member

I don't believe swearing is necessarily bad- it comes in handy sometimes, like when you're very angry with somebody and you need to let it all out - but there are times when swearing is inappropriate. It's a matter of courtesy that schools don't want their students swearing on campus - is that really unreasonable?

EDIT: And, yes, TNT, the Hate Mail is pathetic.

19. Thad Thawne

Thad Thawne Banned

This,so much.