1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is swearing considered bad?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by buttah, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

I find it to be a turn on when girls swear. I mean, it's so much hotter to hear a woman say they want to f, than it is to hear them say they want to have sex.

2. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

See, I don't necessarily agree with this. I hear the argument that people who swear obviously don't have a good enough vocabulary to think of something else to say or something similar, but I swear constantly and I have a very strong vocabulary. It's more of a reaction for me than anything. I may swear, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything else about me. Sure, there are some people this is true for, but the generalization irritates me to no end. Some of the smartest people I know swear like sailors.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Fair enough, I can concede that this isn't universally true. I understand it as a reaction, but often I think too many people my age indulge in being crude for its own sake.

4. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

I think we have a winner. For reasons that would probably need a psychological study to fully understand, swear words act as a kind of mental steam valve for stress and frustration and it's precisely their taboo nature that allows them to serve this role. The day they're allowed say the f-word on an episode of Barney is the day no one will want to.

5. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

The swearing doesn't mean you have a limited vocabulary, it just could lead others to believe that you do.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I've never met a single person (who wasn't a teenager/preteen) that has a limited vocabulary and swears a lot.

If someone wants to think it does, let them. They're just words.

7. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

As the great and very articulate Stephen Fry once said (more or less, I recall him saying it in an interview, though I can't vouch for the precise accuracy of the quote).

"Swearing is a really important part of one's life and it would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing and without enjoying swearing

There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who would say swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary as such; utter nonsense! The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies!"

Too true. Personally, I'm never offended by language, only by sentiment. If someone I respected called me a lame duck or a lame lump of male genitalia, it would offend me - the words wouldn't matter, it would be his opinion. And of course vise versa, it wouldn't bother what someone called me who I didn't care about. The words themselves carry no emotional baggage. Profanity is only thus by the people who are willing to be offended by it.

I swear all the time, and enjoy it. I also enjoy being a little more colourful on occasions. I'm not bound by it and I certainly don't take offensive to it.

The only time it worries me is dependent on the person behind the words. If a man came up to me in the street, swearing and shouting, the words would be the very last thing on my mind. Indeed sticks and stones will break my bones, and words will never hurt me, but unlike the adage, I would like to very much put stronger emphasis on the sticks and stones than the issue of language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

The swear-words unacceptable today are that way mostly because they describe sexual or biological functions or parts that are messy and gooey and/or sticky.

I used to swear more than I do until I was at the grocery store and heard a woman in her late 30s cursing (not screaming it but in a normal tone of voice) and I realized how ridiculous and immature she sounded to me. It's different if you just got your hand broken or something, but unless it's done for laughs, I think swearing in a lot of situations just makes you sound like a fool who lacks self-control--and I don't respect that.

9. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Which is the idea I have the problem with. As I said, some of the smartest people I know swear like you wouldn't believe.

Yes, I agree there are people who do have a limited vocabulary that swear a lot. I agree there are people who are way too dependent on swear words. I think those people are ridiculous. I just don't like being lumped in with them just because I swear as well. The sentiment is too widespread for my liking considering my personal experience.

10. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

That would be sooooooo funny, and Youtubed a million times.

11. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I think it's the context. There's a difference between someone like George Carlin or Chris Rock swearing when discussing the state of the world vs. a bunch of frat boys just stringing words together because they're partying. You read articles that interview famous people in a lot of walks of life, unless they have to edit it out, they usually do swear a few times in the interviews.

Though I confess I am more turned on when a hot girl swears than when an unattractive one does...the latter just makes them even less so. I know that's horrible to say. :sweat:

#31 tb4000, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  12. Plo_Koon

Plo_Koon Support Our Planet

People swear at me every day and i feel absolutly nothing. They are just jerks who dont know how to talk right.

13. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel that a swear word is just a word, and individuals should decide for themselves what is wrong. My mother still apologizes to me if she says an f word at someone (usually during driving), but all my life I have heard the s word without the same sorry feelings. From what I've been able to tell, those two are on top of the naughty list.

If a word has been used for a long time as a normal one, than I don't consider it wrong. Hell is a place, an ass is a donkey, and bastard has a religious meaning. The words describing women are mean, though, but if I happen to say the b word I usually don't mean it as an insult.

I also think region has a lot to do with swear words. Throughout V for Vendetta, when everybody kept saying bollocks I had to look it up to know what they were talking about. It certainly didn't aggravate me like it might a Britishman.

14. Dirty Dawg

Dirty Dawg Chinese Democracy starts NOW!

Yeah it is pretty hot,unless its a redneck woman whos a chainsmoker:ack:

15. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

Personally, I think it's kinda normal to cuss when you injure yourself, your life's in danger, something isn't working our right, and so on. What I find intolorable is when people say every single cuss word known to mankind for every other word they say in a sentence. One time while walking out of the theater after watching Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, there was this grown man probably in his 40's or 50's using every single cuss word he can think of, not because he was mad at the movie, but just for carrying on regular conversation.:shrug:

I don't cuss very much actually...only time I cuss is when I injure myself, or when I see a tornado...

16. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 Active Member

I consider it a point of pride that I have very rarely used obscene language, and have never used it in a public place.

And, this has been how I am all the way from middle school onwards. Gosh, during high school, I had a "haven't cursed in x-years" thing (it went past 10, btw) that I kept up with.

For me, its about respect. For example--the b-word--reducing a woman to that of a female dog in heat is certainly not acceptable. (And, on a somewhat related thought--I hate the fact that "pimp" has a positive connotation. Who wants to be associated with a villainous criminal who exploits women's sexuality for profit and reduces them to object status? And, there's a double standard with the female counterpart to that, as well.)

I also feel it has led to the downfall of comedy. I have never been amused by "shock humor" and throwing random f-bombs liberally into a comedy script is simply asinine, at least in my opinion.

I no longer feel the need to boast about precisely how long it has been since I used such language--I simply "lead by example" and don't do it. If I ever do use it on rare occasions, it will have real meaning--but again, I may never use it. In public, I have made an oath that I never will.

And, personally, I have fun doing "profanity replacements"--taking words from cartoons and other TV shows, doing silly noises, etc. when I am frustrated with something or simply stub my toe.

#36 AnimatedSnow47, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I generally only swear when I'm frustrated or angry about something, and often I try to save it for when I'm by myself and nobody's in earshot. And unless I'm quoting something which happens to have cursing in it, I rarely (if ever) swear during regular speech with other people.

18. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Isn't everything more attractive when a hot girl does it?

Actually, smoking is a turn on for me too. I mean, if a hot girl does it.

19. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

Exactly! The fact is, they are just words. The other fact is they have power and meaning like any other word. We live in a society and no matter if you agree or not some things are just offensive and crass. I'm not an uptight person but I don't understand people that feel the need to curse every 20 seconds.

If it's something you wouldn't say to God, a baby, or a nun most likely you shouldn't say it. It's not a sensitivity issue, it's a decentcy issue. If John McCain or Obama came out on the stump and cursed a bunch in their speeches you wouldn't want to elect them and you wouldn't respect them because profanity is seen as something that is less than respectable.

It gained this reputation because that's how it's used. You get mad ? You curse. You want to degrade someone you curse. Very rarely are dignified acts done while swearing or using profanity. Very rarely do you curse to show some one you are proud of them or that they are a good person.

"Man that Mother Teressa, sure was one &*^%'n great woman."

versus

"Man that Mother Teressa sure was a one honrably great woman."

Which one sounds better to you? Which one would you rather have directed towards you? Or written in a book as a testimony about you?

I write this to say curse words themselves are not bad, but power and meaing we've given them are.

I'll agree with both of these but trust me in excess it will make them less hot and then later you'll see an equally hot girl not smoking or cursing and be mad your with the smelly potty mouth. :p (I speak from experience)

#39 Chris Sanders MSX, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  20. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

The first one.

I'm not kidding.