1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Scrappy Doo hated in the Scooby Doo community?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Warrior Kitana, Oct 19, 2004.

1. CoolCaper

CoolCaper New Member

If you didn't like the show to begin with, then why are you concerned about the show? What made him annoying?

You hate it when shows maintain an an intelligent and clearly spoken vocabulary? What a unique opinion.

Nah, Scrappy just got a bit of a one track mind at times. He always meant well. (At least, in his original portrayals)

Where is written that only Fred, Velma, and Daphne should be brave? As for the animators who made him, sadly Iwao Takamoto is dead and thus is unable to work on him more.

#41 CoolCaper, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I don't understand why the hate of Scrappy Doo either. I mean, nobody has to like him, but this whole hatefulness of Scrappy Doo is over the top. When my friend and I saw the live action version of Scooby Doo, I was shock how bad they treated Scrappy Doo as the main villain. I think Scrappy Doo deserves another chance, but ease up his behavior a little bit. I don't know, he doesn't bother me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with Scrappy. He is far from my favorite character, but I hardly hate him. When I first saw the live action movie I thought making Scrappy the villain was a random choice.

4. Action!

Action! Active Member

He's an annoying character that was just too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

scrappy is okay he's not a bad character but he ain't good either

6. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

Isn't that more a likeness to the original gang? Daphne, Fred and Velma always sent Shaggy and Scooby as bait or to do all the dirty work against their will while they worked safely in the background (or something even less related as some fans theorised with Fred and Daphne :p). It was only really later revivals where they felt like equals and had an active role instead of treating Shaggy and Scooby as their lackeys.

Scrappy at least naively thought Scooby was brave and was willing to go out there and take things head on as well (even if he didn't really get a lot of times to actually do it). If Scrappy had been anything like his title sequence self who actually successfully beat up and stopped the bad guys instead of always being dragged away by Scooby, he would have had way more to stand on than the original gang.

7. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

This is the mother of all thread bumps. Has anyone read the issues of Scooby Apocalypse where Scrappy appears? How are they?

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to announce that Scrappy, bigger and buffer than ever, is a hero in the backup feature of Scooby Apocalypse. They're doing a Peabody & Sherman riff with him in that he has a young boy as his sidekick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scrappy-Fan92

Is the boy Flim Flam? If not, it'd be a wasted opportunity.

10. hobbyfan

Insofar as I know, no. Haven't been reading the series, save for the monthly solicitation notices.

11. Scrappy-Fan92

Well, I suppose it's infinitely better than nothing. *Tips hat to DC*.

12. hobbyfan

Solicitations for July show that Scrappy is in for a showdown with Scooby, and in the context of the current comics, they are not related, but both genetically mutated. Scrappy hates Scooby because Scooby has made it to the outside world first, or something.

13. UberHamster

UberHamster Member

Scooby Doo fans didn't like Scrappy and they thought he was annoying and irrelevant. So they forgotten that he exist ever since.

14. FullTimePanda

FullTimePanda New Member

As a kid I LOVED Scrappy, I was a very energetic and maybe borderline loud and annoying kid and it was nice seeing a character in a cartoon that shared my energy. As an adult I find it sad that so many people come out as always hating the character. Going so far as it being canon in the Scooby Doo world that they hate him. I loved him then and I wish he would make a comeback so I can see the little guy take out bad guys 10 times his size lol

15. hobbyfan

What you have right now are people at Warner Bros. who are playing to the internet hatred of Scrappy, taking away the innocence that made him the diametric opposite of Scooby in the first place, and using that as an excuse to make the hate part of the canon. Take those haters out of the equation, and you may just get your wish.

16. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I think this comment sums up another reason for the Scrappy hatred: Scrappy was meant to be a character that appealed to younger viewers, with him maturing in the latter years paralleling with his fans getting older as well. As such, those who grew up in a pre-Scrappy period would see him as an annoying kid character rather than someone who reflects the show's targeted audience.

• Agree Agree x 1