1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Scrappy Doo hated in the Scooby Doo community?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Warrior Kitana, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

That is exactly what I was gonna say. :gir:

2. Otaku Bishop

Otaku Bishop Mr. Link has the groove.

He's a dork in the show, and a villian in the movie. Duh!

3. cartoonomac

cartoonomac Member

I disagree

I think scrappy is 1 of the coolest characters on scooby doo. The Scooby doo movie with the blues brother they search for the family jewelys that is the very best scooby doo movie on tv. the coolest. Scrappys the man or in this case the dog.
    ya!

:cool: Cartoonomac for classic animation YA!:)

4. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

Scrappy was originally voiced by Len Weinrib, who used the tough guy Brooklyn accent when he did the character in the original Scooby and Scrappy-Doo show. Afterward, he was voiced by the late great Don Messick, who also did Scooby. From that point, he sounded more like a tough version of Pixie the mouse or Ruff the cat. I wouldn't really blame the voice actors though. Scrappy was designed to be a counter to Scooby and Shaggy's cowardice and usually got them into more trouble against the villains as they usually wound up getting him away from them. On some occasions, this helped them to be at least a little braver themselves as they were concerned for his well-being.

My guess is some hated Scrappy because he was the new kid who wasn't needed, and others hated him because he was too brave. I'm one of the few who actually likes him, so I really don't care. He was a good character who added more to the Scooby-Doo series and was one of the reasons why he's had such longevity and is still one of the most popular among the cartoon characters created by Hanna-Barbera.

5. Toon Capone

Toon Capone Active Member

I'm not a Scrappy Doo fan, but Flim Flam was way more annoying than Scrappy.

6. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

I';m not that keen on Scrappy... but I don't think he's the antichrist neither. Certainly not needed.

I think the bigger culprit was that the producers were way too eager to change a winning formula. Those first two seasons were perfect, and then they screw it up by doing the awful Scooby Movies. They were grasping at straws ever since, trying to return to the regular formula with mixed results, then Scrappy, then ditching mysteries, bringing them back, etc...

7. magicjac

magicjac Active Member

Re

I liked "The New Scooby Doo Movies". What was wrong with them?

8. Otaku Bishop

I disagree with you disagreeing with me. He's way to brave, a characteristic only Fred, Daphnae, Velma, and any other guests should have. He's an idiot, a moran, and he was fixed a loooooong time ago. My opinion: the animators who made him need to work on him more.

9. bat313

bat313 Active Member

I remeber being like 5 or 6 when i started seeing (i think repeats of ) Scooby Doo eps with Scrappy and he bacame my favorite character at that time. And i think that was really the point of him, to attract new and younger fans to an already popular Scooby franchise.

10. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Don't tell people what real is. No offense, but everyone has a different meaning of real. And as for Scrappy, he was decent for kids who don't speculate as much, or "I hate Scrappy because he was an annoying ... character who... 'let me at 'em, let me at 'em.' " Get over it. If you dislike it, don't watch it.

11. Otaku Bishop

Or 'Vampire's Curse'( I think that's it) and 'Alien Invaders'

12. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

After a long-vaunted hiatus of watching classic Scooby episodes, they started airing them back on Kids WB so I watched. I must have seen one or two eps with Scrappy in them, and I decided, "I don't like this," so I never watched another Scrappy episode ever again. Eventually, I stopped watching Scooby alltogether.

Sad, isn't it? :sad:

13. magicjac

magicjac Active Member

Re

Thank You:)

14. Gary L Thompson

Gary L Thompson Active Member

I never thought Scrappy was all that bad a character (he certainly made far more of a memorable impression than Scooby Dooby Dum ever did, for instance). I think the biggest strike against him is simply timing, all the good Scooby Doo episodes were past by the time he came on the scene, and he has never shared in what few good days the franchise has enjoyed since (like a "Pup Named Scooby-Doo", for instance). Basically, the greatest character ever conceived couldn't have saved any of the episodes Scrappy appeared in, so he has been inevitably linked in the public mind with Scooby Dooby Doo's dreck days.

15. Prism

Prism Member

Scooby Doo already had it's dreck days well before the debut of Scrappy. Or that's the way it seemed to me what with the generic mysteries, heavily recycled animation and way overused plots. Scooby Doo was generic and formulaic even by 70's Sat AM standards so something had to be done. Shoot I liked it when the monsters were actually real and Scrappy was basically a hyperactive kid who looked up to his Uncle Scooby. What hurt Scooby Doo more then anything was the breaking up of the Mystery Inc gang which coincided with Scrappy's debut. Scrappy was no better or worse then any of the characters in Scooby Doo.

16. Ericebac32

Ericebac32 New Member

I think the reason why people hate Scrappy-Doo so much is because at times, Scrappy had tendencies to be extremely annoying, and at other times, was out of control when a villain or monster came at them. On the other hand, what people may not know is that Scrappy was pretty much the franchise's savior; had it not been for Scrappy's creation, the Scooby franchise may have ceased to exist after the end of "The New Scooby-Doo Show" in 1979.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Let's consider a history lesson.

In 1978, Hanna-Barbera obtained a license from Toho to do Godzilla, and used Godzooky as a comedy relief sidekick who didn't add anything. NBC was starving for a hit at the time, but only managed one season's worth of episodes that would be reused for a few years.

ABC, ignoring this, asked H-B to come up with someone new to keep Scooby-Doo on the air. Scrappy was the antithesis of his Uncle Scooby. Brave instead of scared, assertive & combative instead of passive. Len Weinrib's characterization didn't help. However, the ratings went up. Coupled with a Scrappy-free primetime special that parodied some of ABC's shows, the format was changed the following year, causing much consternation among the fan base. Weinrib was cut loose and Don Messick was asked to tone down Scrappy.

The 2002 movie cast Scrappy as a villain as a means of appeasing the internet community committed to haterizing Scrappy, and subsequent TV series have followed suit. Scrappy was supposed to appear in the pages of Scooby Apocalypse at DC, but that story appears to have been delayed or rewritten to eliminate him from the mix. (Dropped the book after 2 issues, so I don't know.)

18. ScrappyDooLuver98

ScrappyDooLuver98 New Member

Thanks 4 da support GAZ i luv scrappy doo i think that he is a good character because he really brought something new to the show i think he gets far too much h8 and he doesn't deserve it i think that ppl just need to leave him alone he doesn't deserve. As a fan of Scrappy doo i find this whole thread wildly ofensiv and ppl need to back off!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoox :) dont mean to spred hate but I think this shade is too much I'm literally crying rn and i need y'all to support the movement.

19. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

i think you should proofread before you post.

20. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

I never cared for Scrappy much (I feel he got better later on when they toned down his attitude). I just don't like the trend in the past 15 years of making him evil. I didn't mind it in the live-action movie, but now they're doing the exact same thing in Scooby Apocalypse. Just seems like lazy writing.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk