1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Nick so popular?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Mikurotoro92, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

It seems everywhere you go online people are talking about Nickelodeon

Whether it is SpongeBob memes, how great The Loud House is, or begging for Drake & Josh to come back it seems almost impossible to escape the onslaught of Nick!

So my question is:

Why is Nick so popular & influential?

2. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Not sure why you think you have issue against Nickelodeon...

And BTW I don't think there's lot of people asking for drake and josh back since it ended 9 years ago along with Christmas special!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

My guess is that because it was the first kids channel, it was one of the first things that people see on TV. I honestly kind of feel with you, because aside from the time I had a Rugrat obsession in the late '90's I never paid that much attention to the channel.

4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Almost 40 years on the air will do that for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This could have the potential to be an interesting discussion in itself, but the title is a little blunt. I've changed it to something more neutral so we can encourage a good, healthy discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I think there are two reasons why Nick is so popular:

1. Nickelodeon was one of the first networks specifically tailored to kids, and thus a lot of people grew up with the channel and its buffet of cartoons, games, and sitcoms. Nick holds a special place in peoples' hearts, or it at least did before it's Dork Age. So a lot of people look back on the Network fondly, especially of its earlier days. As they say: nostalgia is a powerful drug.

2. Nick has/had presence. Be it airing on TV, in sidebar ads on your computer, or with the oodles of merchandise at your local Walmart. Everyone and their estranged cousin knows about the channel of the orange splat. I'm not saying Nick has good presence, as the channel is more often than not nowadays looked apon as the butt of the joke, especially in the light of the Cartoon Network "renaissance". But as they say any publicity is good publicity. And whether it's people praising the Loud House or wondering why a certain yellow sponge just won't go away, chances are someone, somewhere on the web, will be talking about Nick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Toonberculosis

Toonberculosis Gets Two Scoops

It's been basically the uncontested giant of the big three kids animation networks for the past 30 years. At times, CN and Disney came close to capturing that flame, I think Disney even passed it ratings wise during Phineas and Ferbs height, but eventually they all crashed back down to Earth. Other networks have had similar hits, like Adventure Time which Nick passed on, Gravity Falls, SvTFOE... yet none of them have come close to the ratings Nickelodeon gets. It's simply the go to network for parents everywhere. Kids as young as toddlers can get into Spongebob and they won't stop watching until they are in their tweens, whereas only older kids and tweens might spend a few years interested in AT or GF or SvTFOE before they start growing up and out of cartoons. That's a longer window, and a wider audience.

8. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I understand that Nick holds a place in peoples' hearts but I'm sick of the network's presense everywhere

As tired as I am of the countless SpongeBob and Rugrats memes I'm even MORE tired of all the talk about Dan Schneider's awful sitcoms

In fact I'd attribute most of Nick's popularity to SpongeBob, Rugrats, and yes Drake & Josh

Perhaps the real question is: Does Nickelodeon deserve to be popular?

9. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

You posted the same question in your first post. Why do you think Drake and Josh is in the list when that ended 9 years ago? What do you have against Nickelodeon? Do you not want Nickelodeon to be popular?

10. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

"Perhaps the real question is: Does Nickelodeon deserve to be popular?"

Yes, because they've worked, and are still working hard.

Isn't it good that fans are making memes or talking about Nick's shows? Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean that other people shouldn't. If it bothers you, there are options to mute and block any content you don't like on social media.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

It's not that I don't want Nick to be popular but I just think they have TOO much of a presense everywhere

I like Rugrats

I like SpongeBob

But there are other shows (like Teen Titans Go for example) that are deserving of the praise Nick's shows always get!

In other words I think Nickelodeon is over-rated

12. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're making a judgment saying "Why is Nick popular", "Nick is overrated"

• Winner Winner x 1