1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

why is Nick@Nite airing Nashville??

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by kanc, Jan 23, 2017.

1. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

This time I have seen so much complaints on twitter, facebook and some social media about why Nashville is airing on Nick@Nite Thursdays 11PM, which 11PM is for Friends slot. Nick@Nite is supposed to be family comedies and Nashville is so the opposite of comedy, it's actually a drama. Ratings for Nick@Nite are so low 0.5 that tunes off the viewers. They just need to learn to listen to the viewers and leave the schedule alone the way it is.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Nowadays, "reruns" are all the rage on these "Over the air" side channels to the basic TV channels (stuff like "Cozy TV" and "Antenna TV", etc). My point being, I'm not sure there is as much of a need for a channel like "Nick at Nite".

Still, I don't want to see it airing stuff like "Nashville"...

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Antenna TV and This TV (or the like) are popular because they're so basic. They play Archie Bunker and Johnny Carson, or 80s B movies, and don't really have to worry about making money. They're also free to anyone with over the air antennae or basic cable.

Nick at Nite might be trying to play whatever will bring in viewership, even if it's ridiculous.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd guess CMT is under the same parent company and not enough people know it's airing there yet. I've seen that happening on USA with some SyFy stuff.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Because CMT now airs the show after acquiring it from ABC and its showing on Nick@Nite is probably for those who do not have CMT.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Except everyone has CMT. It's a baseline cable network like MTV or Nick.

I mean Nick-At-Nite is an unnecessary relic at this point, easily shamed by the slew of over-the-air networks @wonderfly mentioned. It doesn't need to exist at all.

7. AdrenalineRush1996

Everyone? There are people who don't have CMT. If it doesn't need to exist at all, then what would happen to the spot that Nick@Nite occupied if it shut down? It's no longer the model that TV Land became and there are people who still watch Nick@Nite, regardless of their decline.

The reason why Nick@Nite is not what it used to be now is because there are more channels airing that kind of stuff but to salvage it, maybe have it more like Adult Swim or they could air more original content than just having repeats of non-Nick sitcoms or shows.

#7 AdrenalineRush1996, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It'd just be Nick all day. No need to have a useless programming block in the prime time and overnight hours that struggles to capture any ratings.

By "everyone" I mean if you have cable and you have Nick, you have CMT along with MTV, VH-1 and BET even. Viacom bundles that stuff up on purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

Let me clarify: Not everyone who have cable have that channel as part of that bundle.

And you know what, I think I need to move on from this because it's gone too far.

• Funny Funny x 1
    #9 AdrenalineRush1996, Jan 24, 2017
  10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

What it is, dear friends, is Nick at Nite is repurposing Nashville to call attention to the fact it's airing on CMT, a Viacom step-sister channel.

It's about fulfilling the contract.

Similarly, Empty-V has been showing a N@N staple of late, Friends, for 2 hours a night (6-8 pm ET), to help fulfill N@N's contract for the show, assuming it's up for renewal with WB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Eh, I don't really care what Nick at Nite airs at this point. It can air Jersey Shore and Tosh.0 for all I care.

To tell you the truth, I've never liked or cared about Nick at Nite, not even when I was younger. Most of the shows that it aired were too cheesy and bland for my tastes. And when it attempts to do original programming, it always backfires. Also, the current schedule is way too repetitive.

Honestly, I'll rather take Nickelodeon 24/7 over Nick at Nite any day, even if it's just overnight marathons of SpongeBob. At this point, Nick at Nite shouldn't have a reason to exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AdrenalineRush1996

That's because it's aimed at an older audience due to airing older content than the channel themselves, you see? If it weren't for the block, then TV Land and TeenNick wouldn't have existed. It's popularity waned by the time Adult Swim came since it has what Nick@Nite lacked: Original content and anime in addition to reruns of Family Guy, which the ratings of the show along with DVD sales were responsible for the show's revival on Fox.

The decline of the block and lack of original content for the block is one of the reasons why Nickelodeon is suffering from network decay.

Really? A SpongeBob marathon to replace the block? Come on, that would mean that Nickelodeon is running out of ideas. An encore block repeating some of their current shows would be a better idea than a SpongeBob marathon.

If you think I'm defending Nick@Nite, I'm actually not. Of course, there could be a reason for not to exist anymore and there could be a reason to exist but after all, it doesn't matter, does it?

#12 AdrenalineRush1996, Jan 24, 2017
  13. Cartoon Ruler

I've never suggested Nick should air a Spongebob marathon every night. Many of us here actually theorize this knowing how much Nick loves the good ol' sponge.

Of course I want variety for the night schedule. If Nick was 24/7, it could air other shows like Kenan & Kel, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Victorious, Drake & Josh, The Legend of Korra, iCarly, Invader ZIM, Avatar, Sanjay and Craig, All That, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. during graveyard hours. Basically shows that have huge adult followings. That'll be a huge improvement over reruns of endless reruns of Full House and Geroge Lopez.

Well, Disney Channel is doing fine airing some of its former and current shows late at night, so I'm pretty sure Nick will also be fine if it was 24/7. Other international feeds are 24/7, so why can't our feed follow the pattern. Besides, those four shows Nick at Nite is currently airing to death can be seen on other family/adult-oriented channels. They can also easily move to TV Land and have Nick run 24/7. Both channels are on the same packages in most cable and satellite systems after all.

14. AdrenalineRush1996

Okay but if Adult Swim is spun off into a 24 hour channel, what do you think should occupy the remaining hours that Cartoon Network do not air?

15. Cartoon Ruler

If Adult Swim was 24/7, I would suggest the Toonami block to replace the AS block on CN. That way action cartoons can still air on CN at night while comedy cartoons can take over the day. The Adult Swim channel can just air all of its originals and FOX reruns.

But...because AS is still successful and helped built Cartoon Network, the block will never go away anytime soon. It at least has an excuse to take over CN at night, unlike Nick at Nite.

16. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

do you know when did MTV started airing Friends? i just found out today

17. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, Adult Swim still remains more successful than Nick@Nite has ever become since they have a lot of original content, reruns of Family Guy but in its uncensored form and Toonami.

But given the success of the Toonami block on AS, it could be possible for that block to take over the spot that AS currently occupies and that AS being a 24-hour channel could be a good idea since it would serve as an alternative to TeenNick and Freeform.

I think Nick@Nite should fold into TeenNick. It does have a purpose to exist, which isn't taking over Nickelodeon during the nighttime but to air shows that is not aimed at Nickelodeon's target audience. The reason why it's now declining is because people would think that Nick@Nite airs Nick shows during the nighttime when it actually isn't. The current decline of the block is one of the major reasons why Nickelodeon is currently suffering from network decay.

18. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Might've been at the beginning of this month.

19. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

yeah MTV posted this that article on Dec 2016 saying it will acquire Friends in Jan 2017, but sitcomsonline blog didn't mention this at all

20. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

They would hardly launch Adult Swim as a new 24/7 channel. If they were to do it it would have to replace another channel. Maybe TeenNick?