1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Mickey Mouse so underrated

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Frank98, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Mickey Mouse is arguably the most popular cartoon character in the entire world.. but not many people seem to like it.
    I've always wondered why, exactly. Why is Mickey not appreciated as much as, say, Donald Duck, Goofy, or, counting other studios, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck or Tom & Jerry?
    I do have my personal theories, but I want to hear you guys first..

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

He is too goody-goody. He never does anything wrong and is kind of boring.

Basically the opposite of Daffy Duck.

3. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

It's the same reasons as why Andy Panda didn't become popular with the audiences: boring, generic, and barley having any character traits other than The Everyman.

4. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

5. Yum

Yum Active Member

Have you seen the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts, though??

6. Red Arrow :D

They are amazing, but I don't think many people ever bothered to watch it. Classic Mickey Mouse fans find it a disgrace and other cartoon fans expect it to be as boring as other Mickey Mouse cartoons.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well people have, as all the vids on the official Youtube channel have over a million views. A few even have over 10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Frank98

I beg to disagree with whoever says that Mickey is a bladn character.

Mickey is actually one of the characters who have developed the most out of all the classic Hollywood cartoon characters.

He started out as a rude, tough and even kind of sexist barnyard kid (Plane Crazy). He didn't have any problem inflicting pain to other people/animals just for his own interests, or even just for fun (Steamboat Willie).

Later, he developed as a much more sympathetic character: he showed us his kind and generous side (Mickey's Good Deed), as well as his bold and adventuros side (The Klondike Kid). He has been the main focus of many story-driven cartoons, pretty unusual for what started out as a simple comedic character.

Later on, he became a lot more civilezed and, dare I say, mature. He didn't spend a lot of time in big, great adventures, but he focused mainly on living an happy, normal life. He was still able to show his playful nature in some cartoons (Mickey's Birthday Party) but this side almost completely disappeared by the early 50s, where he just became the everyman (and in this case, yes, I agree, it's the blandest version of the character).

So, as you can see, Mickey is far from being a flat character - quite the opposite. My theory on why he's still so unpopular is another one: he isn't as relatable as other characters. Donald Duck and Goofy are much more relatable since they actually have tons of human flaws that can be explored. Mickey Mouse is more of a role model - the character that we are SUPPOSED to be, a person to learn from. But I wonder, how many people are interested in seeing that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

It's the same reason people find Superman as the "boring" character. People have preconceived notions of what something is if they've never seen it before, especially for older and well known works. Everybody knows about classic books like Moby Dick or Where the Red Fern Grows but how many people have actually read them? People know about Citizen Kane, or The Godfather, and can describe the more famous scenes, but can those same people describe their significance towards the rest of the film and why?

For better or worse, Mickey Mouse is seen as Disney's mascot before being an actual character in his own right. Is this fair? Absolutely not. The earlier Mickey shorts are classics, and deserve more attention, to say nothing about the more recent shorts by Paul Rudish. But the thing is outside of the demographic of children or animation buffs nobody is going to want to see either of those because of those notions, which was created by a mixture of the more bland and safe 50s shorts and the stigma surrounding animation in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 AnotherRandomGuy, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I wouldn't say underrated. People just moved on. Mickey Mouse was big when he first came out, that awe lasted for a while and he then slowly turned from a character into a mascot. At least Disney hasn't completely forgotten him and gives the new generation a chance to be exposed to him for example through the shorts - which are quite good, although they don't have the unique charm of the old ones. Maybe Disney could release a collection of classic shorts in HD on disc or online?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frank98

I wasn't talking about him being relevant or not - he's fine the way he is. It's just that he's often disliked in comparison to other classic characters.

12. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, I would say that relevance does plays a role. He had bigger impact back then, like many other classic characters mentioned, because he was new and unique. Now-a-days, almost 90 years later, things are quite different. People who grew up with that kind of Mickey Mouse are gone and Mickey doesn't do much anymore outside of those shorts or theme parks, which really isn't much, and because of that people look at him as a mascot first and character second. Because of the position he's in, they don't really think he has more to offer beyond being an empire icon. And you can't blame them as they have other characters they look up to and prefer. Characters that are more promoted, more contemporary and more fun - which is the other part of the answer to your question. Mickey Mouse is somewhat predictable and boring. It's really simple as that. You know what how's he going to behave and when and why. There's not really much he can surprise you with on his own. The stories he's involved in I would say are more interesting than him and what really makes him perform. He's almost pure and perfect. And people don't really want that. There's not much to be attached to other than "oh yeah, that's him". Majority of current generation haasn't seen the original shorts or doesn't even know about them. How could they? And those old enough don't really have a reason to care. Plus compared to the other classic characters Mickey has another disadvantage going back to my first point - Disney doesn't really have another Tier 1 character they could be associated with. They have a plethora of characters from different universes, but when you ask people to name just one they'll almost always go with Mickey because he's the character. Mickey Mouse is a pioneer. He came before Looney Tunes, before Tom and Jerry, before Popeye, before Droopy. Only so called competition he had was Felix the Cat, but Mickey overshadowed him. All these other characters from different studios, especially Looney Tunes, have tons of characters people can choose from. Someone likes Bugs Bunny, someone prefers Daffy. Someone prefers Tom, someone Jerry. Someone Popeye, someone Pluto. But Mickey is only one. You just can't compare. Donald and Goofy, and others that are more recent, are fine. But they're not equal. Mickey is above them. Out of principle if nothing else. Therefore, all in all, Mickey just can't be appealing anymore at this point and I doubt he'll ever be more than an icon again. I don't think he needs to frankly. What was was. Not worth it making him different, to make him more "cool", for the sake of it.

I hope this kinda answers your question...

13. Frank98

Not really :p I've already said that I'm not complaining about him being relevant or not. That's another subject and I wouldn't say Mickey is less relevant than most other characters (such as Bugs, Tom & Jerry, ecc.).

I was asking why people seem, in general, to like Mickey less than those other characters I just mentioned. I've already explained my theory but I wanted to hear other opinions.

Also I don't really get what you're trying to say in the second half of your post - Mickey is "more important" than other characters so he's less loved? What?

14. Red Arrow :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

I agree with others in that Mickey is simply more of the everyman/goody-goody, and that makes him less relatable than angry Donald or clumsy Goofy. No matter the development Mickey may have received, this is still the perception audiences by and large have of him, and I doubt that will change.

There are also more modern Disney "goodies" that have more relatable traits. Winnie the Pooh, for example, is an always-hungry glutton, and also a touch clumsy, while still having a heart of gold. It's easy to see where the audiences of today would favor Pooh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Because of competition from other characters (like a certain yellow sponge)

The success of other characters caused Mickey to fall out of the spotlight

People just simply didn't care anymore & got attached to these new characters instead

However he does have a new show called Mickey and the Roadster Racers so his presense is still there

Wait that's a contradiction

How can Mickey be the most popular character in the world yet not many people like him?

It's not possible!

• Funny Funny x 1
    #16 Mikurotoro92, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. Frank98

Perhaps popular was an incorrect term. I should have said "well-known".

18. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Mickey is certainly one of the most recognizable cartoon characters out there. What about Walt Disney World or Disneyland? He seems to be the centerpiece at those two family resorts.

19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

The problem is that Disney sees Mickey primarily as a pre-school character as opposed to a character for everybody

We need a revival of House of Mouse!

Enough of this Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Mickey and the Roadster Racers stuff

Let's bring Mickey back to his roots!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Yum

Yum Active Member

Oh wait that already happened, DON'T YOU PEOPLE WATCH YOUTUBE???