1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't kids today like old cartoons?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Master Moron, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

Looney Toons, Flintstones, Jonny Quest...

I watched and loved all of these when I was a kid.

I could never (and still can't, really.) get into Tom and Jerry... there's just... something about it. I can't even explain it. I think that 60's modern home setting bothered me somewhat. @_@

Though I'm of the opinion that the 60's and the 90's are the greatest cartoon eras of all time.

2. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

I grew up in an era where the classics were still abundant, despite a surge of new animations. Every time I watch The Flintstones, I'm still able to get a laugh or two out of Fred's antics. And, just about every time I pick up a new (as in, "I've NEVER BEFORE SEEN") classic series from the store shelf (I do take certain factors into consideration; I'm not a complete idiot), I'm treated to something that I can enjoy for the next few months.

It's the same thing with any series... if you have a mildly shorter attention span and want bright colors, fights and dialogue, dialogue, dialogue over something many people have enjoyed, I'm not stopping you from attaining it. I'll even watch it with you.

Nevertheless, here's your piece, J'onn J'onzz. How can you possibly compare Justice League Unlimited to The Flintstones? Action. Comedy. 2004. 1960. Warner Brothers Animation. Hanna-Barbera. Faster pace, more dialogue. Slower pace, less dialogue. And, Justice League had a higher budget, I'm sure.

But, if you want to talk about character development... check out the third season of The Flintstones and get back to me.

3. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Or even Digimon fans...:crying:

(Where the hell are the Digimon DVDs anyways?)

4. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Oh yeah that too...It doesn't bother me as much because I got every Digimon episode from 'City Under Siege' to the end of Tamers ('cept 1 Tamers episode) on tape ^^;;

But still sucks since I'm in all three category!! :(

Anyway I think we should stop with the 'when I was a kid there was still lots of classics airing on TV' comment, because those comment just don't have anything to do with the real topic of this thread: kids TODAY. It's important to realise that, since WE are not like them, as much as it's annoying it's true.

Also I guess SOME kids will like the classics... but after a certain age the majority just won't give them a chance... and Networks are usually unforgiving to series that don't get good ratings in their first run...and American executives are FAMOUS for cutting shows without much of a chance (Clerks only airing 2 episodes?!)

5. Ickis

Ickis Classic Directors Cut Edition

Most likely due to the fact that not alot of networks air old cartoons, plus alot of their mothers probably keep them away from watching them because of the guns and junk on them, I grew up watching the old Speed Racer! They shot guns and smoked on there plus people actually died! I just never understood getting fussy with cigs and alchohol on TV yet you see them advertised all the time in public.

6. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Sometimes I get caught up... pardon my errors.

In that case, it all boils down to one thing: exposure. Case closed. What's in is what people see, and what people want other people to know that they watch. The only really "in" cartoons right now are comedies, and even then, it's only Family Guy this and Family Guy that. Other than that, it's the next live action drama or reality show.

America is so fickle.

7. Undrave

It's not just you, this thread is filled with that kind of comment about our heydays. I think I even commented myself on how I didn't like classics even as a kid XD so I'm partially guilty...

Another thing is that old stuff is limited because...no new material are coming out. I am so annoyed whenever Teletoon airs 'The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show' or whatever simply because I saw every frickin' (unfunny) episode already and I'm sure kids also get tired of watching the same thing over and over, they want new stuff.

Since a lot of stuff that was on TV in the past won't fly with today's TV standard (guns, smoking, alchool, etc ) then a lot of shows just can't be aired, or are just aired in parts instead of complete.

8. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

That's true. There are so many new productions every year, and there's hardly enough space or money or interest for it all. Just like a DVD collection.

9. Donald Duck 12

Donald Duck 12 Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!

Are todays kids in a position to see old cartoons? We don't know if they like them or not because they aren't being aired mainstream.

10. Undrave

But like I said...are any old TV show being aired? There's just no place on networks schedules with all the new stuff.

11. SilentBat18

SilentBat18 Hmm, so, yeah

Ah the old days.... when classic looney toons and mickey mouse cartoons aired not to mention my still favorite Batman cartoons (all except the The Batman which i really despise) good old times... i think they should air them next to these newer cartoons, after all they are classics. All those goodies, what i would do to see them again... a tribute to the classics, Raise thy cups of soda/water/wine or whatever *clink*

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oh, I don't know. There are so many MM/LT shorts out there that I rarely got tired of them as a kid, because the rotation period would be so long. The only problem I noticed was when compilation shows like BB&T Show or LT on Nickelodeon would get content in playing the same shorts over and over (especially the DePatie/Freleng-era ones, which are some of the worst), either because they found it too much work to comb through the vast library or because they simply didn't have the rights to all the cartoons.

13. ~CY~

~CY~ The world is alive if you live

Well as far as I know.. not all kids from today hate watching cartoons from the past. The ones I care for love them to the point to where sometimes they just can't get enough of them.

14. .Automatisch

.Automatisch j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Eh, I was never big on certain shows. I did like Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Super Friends, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Wacky Races, and those terrible HB action shows like Space Ghost, Birdman, and The Herculoids. But honestly, Looney Toons was something I NEVER got into. I'd always try to watch them, but I never found them funny at all. I can't find anything WORTH laughing at about them, to be honest. I still hold Bugs et al in high regard as classic 'toon characters, but at the end of the day I doubt I could bear watching them today.

I think if Boomerang were on basic cable, there might be more interest... I'd definitely watch it if I had it [I have an 'all access' Digital Cable package, and I still don't have it -_-].

15. Caswin

Caswin Active Member

I'm a kid today - sort of, it depends on how you define "kid" - and I'll watch darn near any cartoon with substance.

Meaning Bugs Bunny maybe (he makes me laugh), Tom & Jerry no.

16. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Active Member

How is airing Foster's or EEE or GABM like six or seven times a day any better? Their runs are even SMALLER than LT, so you end up seeing the same show a bunch of times in the same month. They get maybe four new episodes of a show per month. I think you're just being unfair 'cause you don't like older cartoons.

Stop it. There's a LOT of network space. You don't need to rerun the same show nine times in a day.

Why don't kids like older cartoons? I don't know. The older ones are certainly funnier. Shows like EEE and GABM? Unfunny, and filled with characters that can only BE funny if violent stuff happened to them in every episode. For instance, the only way I'd watch GABM is if someone told me Mandy died horribly every ep, since I can't stand characters like that. I could go on and on about how older cartoons are pretty much superior to the current ones, but the people that need to hear it (the kids) aren't reading this, so it doesn't really matter. My only gripe is that they (H-B, WB, R-S, etc...) aren't releasing the shows on DVD fast enough. Or at all. I want my "Fantastic Max", darn it! :D

17. RAINMAN

RAINMAN Kikoutei Densetsu

It depends on how well the show age over time. Some age well while other don`t. That rule also goes for shows of today and in the 90`s. Don`t be surprise 5 or 10 years from now a show you are wacthing now becomes unwatchabile in the future. I`ll take LT,T&J over any humores Nick or CN toon show. Then there the whole mature thing. They think in order for something to be good it must have mature like stuff init,which I find to be a very lame reason. Just because the show has mature things init don`t mean it a good show. A matureless show could be just as good or better then the one that supposed to be mature.

And just because a new show is remake of a older show don`t mean it is also better then the old one. Don`t get wrong JLU and TMNT is better then it old ones but but BW is no match for G1. Don`t get me worng I like BW but it gets more credit then it deserve.

18. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

Same! I kinda like Scooby-Doo and the Marvin the Martian shorts now, though.

However, I always liked 90s shows! When I was 9, I was introduced to Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy, and then when I was 10 I discovered Courage the Cowardly Dog. I've also always liked the first three seasons of SpongeBob, if that counts.

Also, I've gotten into Astro Boy, which started in the 60s.