1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't kids today like old cartoons?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Master Moron, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Dee

Dee What?

OMG I WANT BOOMERANGE!

2. ChuckRoast

ChuckRoast Survivng After the Battle

I agree. Looney Tunes really needs to be on more. The DVDs are all I have left. :sad:

3. Merilee

Merilee Member

Well, do you have a VCR? You can tape Cartoon Network at 5:30, cause they brought back the Bob Clampett Show (for how long? Don't ask me!) that have Bugs cartoons. So they're back for now. Very early in the morning, but they're back.

I know what you mean about Boomerang...but even SOME classic cartoon are beter than NO classic cartoons, right?
    Merilee
    :cool:

4. bettyboop247

bettyboop247 Guest

i know what ou mean

kids probly don't like old cartoons becase they loke the color stuff and new mp players and all that other stuff my little girl loves bettyboop becase my nick name is bettyboop b

5. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Allow me to be the first one to welcome you to the forum!

But please, work on your typing a bit. :sweat:

#65 veemonjosh, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  6. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

No, it's make sense and you'll fit in better... a child can't possibly like a cartoon series simply because its (his/her) parent has a nickname comprising mainly of the show's title name.

7. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Necroposting off the port bow, captain!

Why don't adults from yesterday like current cartoons? Figure that out and then just reverse it.

8. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Call me crazy, but most classic cartoons bore me... and classic comics too. When comics started getting longer more sophisticed plots, i.e. shortly after Marvel began publishing them, I began to like them. The drawn out story tends to bore me less than, say, some cardboard-cut-out cahracter fighting a monster for twenty minutes. For example, JLU has character development, sometimes long storylines, and is much better to me than, say, the Flinstones, to me. Most anime have long story-lines, or are at least the characters have a personality, which explains why I like them so much... Not to get down on classic cartoons, and some modern (altough mainly American) cartoons suffer the same problem (see Spongebob Squarepants and My Gym Partner is a Monkey. Oh, and all of the current adult swim comedy.) And please don't flame me saying stuff like, "I come from an era where sophistication wasn't needed in cartoons and we could just enjoy them for what they are: simple fun"... or "anime is teh s uck, asc pwns!!!11One!1" In the end, to me a show's value comes in how much it entertains me, and if some current cartoons do, and most classics don't, so be it. That's just the way my mind works.

P.S. Coming from one necroposter to another, what's wrong with necroposting anyways?

9. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Well since this topic was brought back from the dead I might as well add my two cents to the question.

First we have to be frank here and admit that, even if there is many old shows we all fondly remember and can still be enjoyed today, a majority of what was produced back then was just crap. For every show you remember fondly there were at least 10 bad shows, especially true in the 80s. Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos anyone? Past the whole 'OMG CHUCK NORRIS!' and the 'it's so bad it's funny' factors it was a real stinker! And let's not forget all those 'Mystery Solving Team' cartoons Hannah-Barberra started churning out after Scooby-Doo -.-

Off course today is no different, so we'll just compare the best to the best, and not the worse to the best to help one side or something.

There is many reasions why kids today don'T like old cartoons.

First there is the superficial aspect: the lower quality animation of TV shows back then, the grainy print, and the scratchy voices and cheap sound effects. The superficial aspect at the very least puts them off at first glance. Sure most kids will probably overcome this if they stick around for a while, but it's still an essential reason, even if it is something deplorable. Kids today would rather play 1 crappy XBox 360 game than 10 GOOD SNES or Genesis titles. I call this the 'Graph1x Factor'

Secondly let's look at action-adventure series. The action-adventure series of yesteryear have a lot of trouble holding up to the series of that genre from our more recent era (let's say 1988-89 and on). A lot of the dialogues feel stilted, lacking a 'real life' quality to it, often reverting to a 'Gee Whiz!' attitude and sounding like they talk down to kids. Then there is the level of 'suspension of disbelief' needed to enjoy them wich is significantly higher than whati sn eeded for today's action adventure shows. Today's kids are smarter than in those days. Sure it's debatable wether they have more or less common sense, but the general consensus is that kids know, and can learn, more about science and the world than their equivalent from 20 years ago or more. And the final nails in that coffin are the characters. Even if we forget the over-abundant use of stereotypes and copy pasting from one show to the next, most of the characters were stiff, with no depth and would basically stay the same from episode 1 to whatever it was the serie ended at. All those pretty educative 'lessons' the character learn in one episode don't carry to the next, or the 'flaws' those lessons corrected were never there in the previous episodes.

Finally lets look at what is left: humor cartoons. While it's true there is certain forms of humor that are timeless, humor is LARGELY dependant on culture. It's one of the most difficult thing to export to another country and a person's sense of humor can be totally different from the person sitting next to him or her. As much we might not like it culture HAS changed in the last 20, 30 or 40 years, so it's normal that humor has changed.

All those things make it so kids today just don't like older shows, it just doesn't fit with their culture and sensibility.

Oh and to add my personal opinion. Classic cartoons bore me as well. And I consider Transformer G1 to be a poorly written overappreciated show that is blown to hell by recent incarnations like Beast Wars and Cybertron!

10. Simon Trent

Simon Trent Member

I can't tell you why other kids sometimes don't like classic cartoons but I can tell you why I don't.

They were condescending. I'm not an idiot, and i would prefer not to be treated by my entertainment. I remember seeing shows like the SuperFriends and Scooby Doo (Where are you!?) and Tom and Jerry that felt like the same episode being done over and over with different names and very bad jokes. I liked Looney Tunes but I've considered them the exception to the rule. Of course, modern shows aren't that much better but at least they get torn apart for it (as they richly deserve).

11. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Shocking. When I insulted classic cartoons, I expected to be bashed to death. And strangely I get sympathisers. I think this is one of the first times I've EVER gotten sympathisers around here. Usually people tend to hate my opinions on stuff, or at least dissect them in a negative fasion.

12. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

:anime: Old cartoons? You mean Chuck Norris Komandos was a REAL show? :eek:

I'm gonna skip a large part of the 80's and 90's, mostly yuck anyway, and go back even farther.

"Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is around but is different than when it started.

I caught parts of the Superman special and they showed something called "rotoscope". That had a very interesting look and is something I'd like to see. Going back even farther there are the war cartoons mostly Bugs Bunny,,, always liked seeing those. Many of them though have Japanese stereotypes that they just won't show on network tv. Hmm, the little I've seen of the B&W Betty Boop's are just plain wierd. :sad: "Merry Melodies"? "Popeye"? well let's face it, they suck, wouldn't want to go back that far :sweat: When you start hitting "Depression Era", who can really understand that humour with htings like a Schmoo tha tastes like steak and dies of pleasure when looked at with hunger?

So it seems to me there are two good old days of cartoons,,, Somewhere in the 40's and then again in the 60's-70's.

Then there were the movies like "A Man Called Flinstone" and "Gay Purreee", I wonder where they are? :sad:

13. Undrave

Every since being HIGHLY dissapointed by the qwuality of Transformers passed the 'More than Meet the Eyes' multi-parter, I made a conscious choice to NEVER judge a show through the veil of nostalgia.

So I happily say : Beast Wars > Transformers G1 and Power Rangers SPD > Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

And others like that.

I judge a show for its innate quality, not because it's a classic. Even if I can remember a show fondly because I liked it as a kid, I'm not blind to the point of saying it's better than a superior show that is more modern.

rotoscope is a technique that mostly consist of filming real actors and painting over them to 'animate' it. It gets a lot of beef from animation fan, but I find it rather unjustified.

The France-Canada co-production 'Delta State' was the first TV serie to be completly Rotoscoped. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_State_(TV_series)

I thought it was a neat show not the best thing but it felt different. Apparantly a second season is in the work.

14. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Mostly because it confuses people. And when someone makes a new post that doesn't really add something to the discussion and the spirit of the discussion has long since been extinguished, it's a little irritating. It's like, "Oh, I said that?" It just breaks the natural flow of things.

15. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I grew up in the 80's on a steady diet of old & new
    I watched new shows such as The Transformers, GI Joe, Inspector Gadget, Voltron, He-Man, SuperFriends, Heathcliff, Laff-a-Lympics, etc... but I also had the pleasure of watching Looney Tunes, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Betty Boop, Heckle & Jeckyl, Mighty Mouse, Felix the Cat, The Pink Panther, Tom & Jerry, and all the Hanna-Barbera (Yogi, Huckleberry, Quick Draw, Pixie & Dixie, Scooby, Flintstones, Jetsons, Magilla, Wally Gator, Top Cat...) & Tex Avery shorts (Droopy, Chillie Willie, Woody Woodpecker...I think was an Avery toon).

tv has changed so much over the last 20 yrs
    he trick is to blend a little of the old w/ the new
    however in today's highly competitive, short-attention span tv world it could prove difficult to expose the youth to the classics...especially when corporations are constantly "modernizing" their content. I saw a CG Mickey Mouse cartoon last wkd. Where's my puking smilie? The first Mickey Mouse short I saw saw an Alice in Wonderland type short. Mickey jumped through the looking glass and got into a lot of trouble w/ a deck of playing cards. I also recall a short w/ Donald, Mickey, & Goofey at sea whaling.

My advise is to purchase the dvds and let your kids watch those.
    Too bad Disney is so stingy w/ their dvds. I'd love to track down those really old shorts

16. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

One of the women I work with has a six year old daughter who loves old cartoons. Her favorite channel is Boomerang and I know she likes Yogi Bear and Tom and Jerry. So, there are exceptions.

17. Undrave

Yeah Disney really sucks at releasing TV series on DVD >< just ask Gargoyles and Power Rangers fans ><

Ya know there's nothing inherently BAD about not airing old shows... I mean you don't see people complaining they don't air the A-Team or Bewitched anymore, so I don't see why airing only new stuff should be a problem with animation.

And I'm sure a lot of us here never saw many movies or TV show that are older than we are...I mean it took me a cinema class to see Casablanca :p

So where's the beef? I guess it just sucks when a show you like isn't found on DVD...or when it is not in a complete version.

18. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

there's an increasingly short list of current cartoons I'm into these days

I'm only talking about programs still in production (no cancelled shows)
    1. TMNT (xing fingers about the new direction)
    2. Avatar: The Last Airbender
    3. the ususal suspects: South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad
    4. The Boondocks, Venture Bros, Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    5. Futurama (new eps coming to Com Central in '08)
    6. The Batman

fandom pending: Hellboy, Screw-On Head, Fantastic Four, Legion of Superheroes. Well, Hellboy is actually a DTV franchise and Screw-On Head is a stand-alone pilot for the moment. I have high hopes for FF. I'm still a bit skeptical about LoSH but I'll probably love by the season finale.

Hopefully '07 will produce a new Spidey series

19. Pc-Famicom64

Pc-Famicom64 Active Member

Only if the kids watch stuff like Hamtaro and or Sonic-X, then yes kids will watch them (ther all done by the same studio, it's like someone watching Yogi Bear becuse it's from the same studio as Scooby Doo).

20. JMorgan

JMorgan Member

...My cousin (twelve years old currently) loves old cartoons, well at least Looney Tunes. And thanks to my influence, he prefers cartoons and even to some extent video games from my childhood era much more than his own. Sonic SatAM and Animaniacs are very possibly his favorites ever.

I myself never really liked most the Hanna Barbarra stuff anyway, and I was born in '86. Flintstones was okay, but, for some reason, even though I love future stuff and sci fi and robots and all that, I was NEVER much of a Jetsons fan at all. And I can't really think of any other Hanna Barbarra show I particularly liked, other than kind of Space Ghost/Birdman back when VERY early Toonami showed them aruond '96.

My favorites are 'toons from the 80's (that my bro got me to love, like Thundercats, similar to my work on my cousin) and early-mid 90's, personally. But.. I LOVE looney tunes.